Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Looking to gauge interest on a full carbon engine bay set to replace all of the black plastic panels surrounding and inside the engine bay.
I've been recently to look at a few cars for myself and straight away thought this would be something we would want to develop for our product range.
I have seen one or two companies offering something similar so some may have experience with whats already out there.
Once we have tooled up (as with any product we offer) we will be able to play around with it and offer different weaves, finishes and styles for anyone looking for something unique.
Always interested to hear peoples thogughts!

Cheers

Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not too much demand for this.

A more in demand product would be a front and rear spoiler set
I wouldn't expect huge amounts of these to sell, but I think it would be a nice addition to the car.
Front and rear spoiler is something we will of course look to offer and will throw some ideas out there when we get to it. It will be interesting to see what people are looking for in this department as I would imagine people have very different opinions, hard to make something that everyone will like!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have yet to find any aftermarket CF parts that sit in engine bays that don't yellow. Everyone claims theirs doesn't, but invariably they always do. And they end up looking awful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We already have a lot of engine bay related products in our own range and have extensive experience in this area. It can be a problem using some materials (dependant on the epoxy resin used both in infused and prepreg parts). Off the shelf products will eventually yellow with time. We have a few tricks and tweaks in the materials and processes we use to overcome these problems, for one our material suppliers also supplies the same materials to major automotive manufacturers where they are used in engine bays, roof panels, etc.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It’s hard to gauge demand compared to oem sets as the prices for Oem are ridiculously over inflated. Most people won’t bother.

I think if you could reasonably price them - they would move quite easily.

·
Vendor
1,779 Posts
Having had many years of experience in this - we would recommend trying to produce top quality carbon fiber items that are not available as OEM.

However, the market has been muddied by inferior quality items sold very cheaply. Some are simply repackaged Ali-Baba items.
For the Gen 1 - most owners are quite price conscious. This will change as used car values continue to increase.

We have a few suggestions for you on what could sell and would welcome working with a good composites company, especially in the UK.
If you can drop us a PM with a whatsapp number - then we can swap ideas.

Kind regards

·
Registered
30 Posts
I could be interested in the engine bay.
Something I have been on the hunt for, for 12 months are the side blades in Carbon.
They are as rare as hens teeth.
Part Numbers:
4S8853059F
4S8853060F
4S8853338H

4S8853337H

Or if anyone knows where to get these at a non-bank breaking price, please let me know.

Regards,

Becca

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I could be interested in the engine bay.
Something I have been on the hunt for, for 12 months are the side blades in Carbon.
They are as rare as hens teeth.
Part Numbers:
4S8853059F
4S8853060F
4S8853338H

4S8853337H

Or if anyone knows where to get these at a non-bank breaking price, please let me know.

Regards,

Becca
Hi Becca,
We will certainly be adding the side blades to our range, so might be worth dropping us an email ([email protected]) as we often offer special pre-order pricing on new additions to our range for customers that want to be first in the queue. I have also been toying with the idea of offering them in limited editions of forged carbon which seems to becoming increasingly popular.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

Looking to gauge interest on a full carbon engine bay set to replace all of the black plastic panels surrounding and inside the engine bay.
I've been recently to look at a few cars for myself and straight away thought this would be something we would want to develop for our product range.
I have seen one or two companies offering something similar so some may have experience with whats already out there.
Once we have tooled up (as with any product we offer) we will be able to play around with it and offer different weaves, finishes and styles for anyone looking for something unique.
Always interested to hear peoples thogughts!

Cheers

Dan

View attachment 262860

:)

Hi Steve from New Zealand here. Check this company website out. Full range of Engine Bay products and inside car carbon fibre options. The engine bay looks fantastic. All parts installed in a few hours

·
Registered
11 Posts
View attachment 263073
:) View attachment 263074

Hi Steve from New Zealand here. Check this company website out. Full range of Engine Bay products and inside car carbon fibre options. The engine bay looks fantastic. All parts installed in a few hours
Hi Steve, I spent around $20K AUD with Daniel at DB Carbon and most of the parts were good but I had a problem with the engine bay air vents that they sent me which would not fit my 2017 R8+ and when I asked to send them back for replacement, Daniel said that would be too expensive and for me to take them to a local body shop to have them modified I was advised by three local body shops that the parts were not for my model and could not be modified and so unless you live in Germany and can easily return poor quality or incorrect parts than be aware that "Just perfect quality guaranteed for lifetime" mean nothing when put to the test, my engine bay vents are sitting on a shelf in my garage, an expensive experience of poor customer service.

·
Registered
252 Posts
We already have a lot of engine bay related products in our own range and have extensive experience in this area. It can be a problem using some materials (dependant on the epoxy resin used both in infused and prepreg parts). Off the shelf products will eventually yellow with time. We have a few tricks and tweaks in the materials and processes we use to overcome these problems, for one our material suppliers also supplies the same materials to major automotive manufacturers where they are used in engine bays, roof panels, etc.
As a buyer I can tell you - There is a huge demand for carbon fibre either oem replicas or non Oem bits.

If the quality is good, fitment spot on and price is sharp you will sell a lot.

OEM is excellent quality but the costs are disproportionately high relative to this quality level.

Let us know what’s on offer.

High quality paddle shifters that replace Oem - rather than stick on is a huge unmet demand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Steve, I spent around $20K AUD with Daniel at DB Carbon and most of the parts were good but I had a problem with the engine bay air vents that they sent me which would not fit my 2017 R8+ and when I asked to send them back for replacement, Daniel said that would be too expensive and for me to take them to a local body shop to have them modified I was advised by three local body shops that the parts were not for my model and could not be modified and so unless you live in Germany and can easily return poor quality or incorrect parts than be aware that "Just perfect quality guaranteed for lifetime" mean nothing when put to the test, my engine bay vents are sitting on a shelf in my garage, an expensive experience of poor customer service.
Hi, that is disappointing, I can then see why you would be very annoyed. As you say, not great customer service in that particular situation

1 - 17 of 17 Posts