Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a watch, let's hear what your thoughts are. I know we should be enjoying these cars rather than look at the as investment items but this may still be interesting to some people. It may also be helpful for those in the market as well as for anyone looking to sell theirs. I'm in the market for a plus so this was interesting to me. If anyone is looking to sell their plus, DM me!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
An exotic car is a splurge purchase not an investment. Consider the money a loss the second you sign the bill of sale. If you're going to sit and buy the car and worry about how much money I might lose then you shouldn't buy the car simple as that. Obviously none of us want to buy something that'll tank but if you can't afford to swallow it then don't buy it. There's plenty that don't abide by this and try and stretch budgets. Weekly there's a thread on here can I buy this 2008 R8 for 50k (that's a salvage title I might add lol). Dude, you can't afford the car. I'd love to buy a 720S or something in the 300k+ category and I can but I don't want to swallow that heavy of a loss. It's called being somewhat responsible with your purchases. Everyone is different in where their finances are and what their tolerance for losses are and that'll point you in the correct decision for what car to buy.

Either you can afford the car or not. My 2017 V10 Plus I've put over 20,000 miles on mine so I'm sure it's near the bottom end of the spectrum come the day I go to sell because OMG mileage. I prefer to buy a car with mileage. I knew I was daily driving this car and unfortunately the Gen 2 was the new kid on the block when I bought mine so there wasn't any higher mileage ones to buy. At this point, it's a "free" car for me at this point because whether I sell it in a few months at 25,000 miles or sell it in 2 years with 45,000 miles it'll be the same hit. Having the freedom to take the car out rain or shine whenever I want and not give a **** about the mileage is a great feeling. When I sell the car I won't look back going I wish I drove it more. It's seen rain, sun, road trips, drag racing, auto cross, and HPDE on Sebring. It was and still is a blast. Sorry to the owners who are afraid to let the car stretch it's wings.

Lower mileage cars have their own share of risks. Having a car sit is never good. A car with mileage has it's kinks worked out. Go buy your 2,000 mile 4 year old car and when something breaks that could have been warrantied you're out of luck (since no one drove the car to find said fault(s).

Anyways, fun analysis the guy has too much time on his hands. I stopped watching after a few minutes into it. 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
100 Posts
Man dont tell this to the exotic car hacks guy, he sells programs to people with 600 credit scores that they can buy an exotic park it in the garage and never drive it and then magically sell it 3 years later for more than they paid for it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An exotic car is a splurge purchase not an investment. Consider the money a loss the second you sign the bill of sale. If you're going to sit and buy the car and worry about how much money I might lose then you shouldn't buy the car simple as that. Obviously none of us want to buy something that'll tank but if you can't afford to swallow it then don't buy it. There's plenty that don't abide by this and try and stretch budgets. Weekly there's a thread on here can I buy this 2008 R8 for 50k (that's a salvage title I might add lol). Dude, you can't afford the car. I'd love to buy a 720S or something in the 300k+ category and I can but I don't want to swallow that heavy of a loss. It's called being somewhat responsible with your purchases. Everyone is different in where their finances are and what their tolerance for losses are and that'll point you in the correct decision for what car to buy.

Either you can afford the car or not. My 2017 V10 Plus I've put over 20,000 miles on mine so I'm sure it's near the bottom end of the spectrum come the day I go to sell because OMG mileage. I prefer to buy a car with mileage. I knew I was daily driving this car and unfortunately the Gen 2 was the new kid on the block when I bought mine so there wasn't any higher mileage ones to buy. At this point, it's a "free" car for me at this point because whether I sell it in a few months at 25,000 miles or sell it in 2 years with 45,000 miles it'll be the same hit. Having the freedom to take the car out rain or shine whenever I want and not give a **** about the mileage is a great feeling. When I sell the car I won't look back going I wish I drove it more. It's seen rain, sun, road trips, drag racing, auto cross, and HPDE on Sebring. It was and still is a blast. Sorry to the owners who are afraid to let the car stretch it's wings.

Lower mileage cars have their own share of risks. Having a car sit is never good. A car with mileage has it's kinks worked out. Go buy your 2,000 mile 4 year old car and when something breaks that could have been warrantied you're out of luck (since no one drove the car to find said fault(s).

Anyways, fun analysis the guy has too much time on his hands. I stopped watching after a few minutes into it. 🤣 🤣 🤣
That's awesome that you drive yours the way it was intended and you certainly won't have any regrets!
I'm looking for one with some mileage ...as you mentioned, it has all it's kinks worked out. I can stretch myself and get a new one but I'd much rather have one that's closer to the bottom so it's already taken most of it's depreciation hit. You also addressed the third reason...because it'll be much more comfortable and less of a stretch financially. Pay most of it liquid and just enjoy it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not sure an R8 would ever be an investment, if it is the engine then likely the Lambo equivalent will be the 'desirable' one in the future........I would even question the purchase of a quattro if it is only ever to be a lightly used sunny weather toy.

I use my second hand 2017 in all weathers, so far my European winter has been hard frosts, sprinklings of snow but loads of rain and my car lives outside. It was build as a machine, it will depreciate simply due to its age so putting miles on it won't massively hurt it. The engine is sound and well used across platforms, European Lambos regularly clock 100k+ miles and a sensible miles car is imo the happy medium. I am doing around 1000miles/month at the moment.

Audi built it as a daily all weather fast car, they have mighty cold/snowy weather in Germany so all 'fast' Audis are quattro (ignoring the different versions of quattro). Use it as designed including regularly hitting the limiter once the engine/gearbox are up to temps...........happy days :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great value, depreciation video.

If you want something to spend your money on that appreciates, a car is just about the last place to put it with few exceptions. An R8, even in used form, is still going to depreciate but at the rate 2017 and 2018s are at, the interim bottom is probably close. The comparison to Gen1s is not really a good reflection as financing options decrease, years vs mileage, etc. Gen 2s of any kind are a bit of a bargain at present compared to similar offerings.

Things that might or are likely to increase in value: Audi V10 R8 6 spds, 996 GT3s, 997 GT3RSs, E46 M3 6spds, E60 M5 6spds, Aston V12s 6spds, Murci 6spds, etc.

Things likely at their bottom: MP4-12Cs, 650S, 991.1 GT3, 991.1 GT3RS, GT4s, etc.

Still Going Down: 570S, 720S, 600LT, 991.2 GT3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts