1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
09 r8 v8
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
i need to replace my rotors and pads on 09 r8 v8,
doing the job myself, but need a little help. unsure what get for replacement, audi here is wanting 6k and no parts in stock lmao ( 2 mh out )

never track the car, looking for low dust is thats possbile.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you want OE, check out AutohausAZ. They have VNE (an OE supplier) rotors at a very good price. Front and rear currently show at $254.99 each. I don't think you'll find them for less.

They also have pads at a good price.

The downside of OE rotors is the vanes are not directional for rotation on both sides - they don't differentiate left and right discs, so not ideal. There are aftermarket discs that correct this and also perhaps a better design as floating Check out ECS tuning for their house brand and also rotors from 034 Motorsports which have directional vanes. I might lean towards the 034 discs because they are not drilled, which I think is ultimately stronger - less likely to crack if you decide to do something like track days.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Girodisc is another popular option for rotors if you're not going OEM. True floating 2-piece, so future replacements are cheaper, although the up front cost is similar to OEM (1.1-1.3k/axle for rotors). Believe they're a bit lighter and the fronts are a bit bigger too. Cooling veins are directional as well I believe.

You'll find tons of opinions on pads - OEM are quite dusty, so getting similar street performace with less dust is do-able. OEM pads also aren't cheap.

I run girodisc front and rear personally (did the fronts last summer, rear this summer) with Hawk Performance Ceramic pads. Pads are super low dust, which is great since the OEM pads turned my black wheels brown in 30 seconds, but they do have a bit less bite than the OEM pads I feel like. Nothing I worry about on the street, even in relatively aggressive street use, but I wouldn't track them. Overall quite happy with the setup - a bit cheaper than OEM, better looking (imo), cheaper to replace in the future, and much less dust.

Reactions: XTROYDX

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
If I were you I would run girodiscs with their “magic pads”. I hear great things and they supposedly dust far less while retaining bite and longevity.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
AP racing is another option to consider

·
Premium Member
09 r8 v8
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I were you I would run girodiscs with their “magic pads”. I hear great things and they supposedly dust far less while retaining bite and longevity.
do you have the part numbers?

someone told me to get pagid pads.. they liked them a lot.. but i have been looking for part number and then unsure how many come in a box ( on vividracing )

going with OEM rotors for now

·
Premium Member
09 r8 v8
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you guys for all the info..
all ordered and will post some pictures once i install :)

·
Premium Member
09 r8 v8
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want OE, check out AutohausAZ. They have VNE (an OE supplier) rotors at a very good price. Front and rear currently show at $254.99 each. I don't think you'll find them for less.

They also have pads at a good price.

The downside of OE rotors is the vanes are not directional for rotation on both sides - they don't differentiate left and right discs, so not ideal. There are aftermarket discs that correct this and also perhaps a better design as floating Check out ECS tuning for their house brand and also rotors from 034 Motorsports which have directional vanes. I might lean towards the 034 discs because they are not drilled, which I think is ultimately stronger - less likely to crack if you decide to do something like track days.

Thank you so much!!!

·
Premium Member
09 r8 v8
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes they are. Had to go with oem because of great price. And getting yellow pads..

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Girodisc magic pads seem to be sold out and I’m going to be in the market for new pads soon, any idea if this is pandemic supply chain issues or just temporarily out of stock? Any similar alternatives?

·
Enthusiast first, vendor second.
335 Posts
Try Carbotech pads. 1521 for the street. Compatible with their race pads so no re-bed necessary if you switch. Will work on iron AND CCB discs. Low dust, quiet and awesome modulation. One of my favorite pads! www.ctbrakes.com
If they don't have them in stock, they make them right then and there, usually have them shipped within 2-3 days. I've been using them for years and years and have yet to find something better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts