1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
09 r8 v8
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
wanted and little input from others..

So i have a gen1 R8, V8 and love it.. always fun and have it pretty much how i want it..
just a weekend / event car..

but have been looking at getting something else ( maybe )

i have driven the 570S and a few other McLarens ( i don't like the legs space ) but the 570GT has a little look i like, and the new car with dual clutch and others things..

but a few friends that have had both always say the R8 just is ( in a good way ) simpler and over better. ( from working on and space )

but can you ( anyone ) give me a little input what your 2cents is ..

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm sure you're going to hear this a lot, but McLarens aren't known for being the most reliable super car on the road. I was also looking at them before I got an R8 and I spoke to the Service Manager for McLaren Newport Beach, CA and he told me they are in service a lot. When contrasted against the awesome reliability of the R8... I made my choice.

·
Premium Member
09 r8 v8
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure you're going to hear this a lot, but McLarens aren't known for being the most reliable super car on the road. I was also looking at them before I got an R8 and I spoke to the Service Manager for McLaren Newport Beach, CA and he told me they are in service a lot. When contrasted against the awesome reliability of the R8... I made my choice.
thank you..
funny you say that.. 3 friends that have them.. there all in the shop.

my r8 is on the rack in the gareage.. waiting on a oil line .. so i cant talk a lot of smack right now.. lol
parts out 5 - 7 weeks ( minimum )

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
a gen 2 r8 will feel like a massive upgrade over a gen 1 v8. i dont think you would be disappointed like it was a marginal improvement at all
There may be a solution for the non-technical for more power in the V8... VF Engineering is completing their new and improved V8 supercharger :) so you may get the best of both worlds a lighter more nimble car (that's what the race car drivers say about the V8 vs the V10) and get the same power as a v10.

as for me, I've been on hold with my twin turbo project, but when I get that done, I'll have an 800HP V8. :cool:

Reactions: XTROYDX

·
Premium Member
09 r8 v8
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There may be a solution for the non-technical for more power in the V8... VF Engineering is completing their new and improved V8 supercharger :) so you may get the best of both worlds a lighter more nimble car (that's what the race car drivers say about the V8 vs the V10) and get the same power as a v10.

as for me, I've been on hold with my twin turbo project, but when I get that done, I'll have an 800HP V8. :cool:
thank you,
to waste that amount on a v8,. i would just get a v10. plus the gen 1 clutch and more power is a fail ( in my eyes ) if i had the dual clutch i would think more about doing it, i have a freiend that has the VF setup and its amazing.. and a buddy that has the turbo set up on his.. ( gen1 ) he just has to replace the clutch around 30k miles lol

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
thank you,
to waste that amount on a v8,. i would just get a v10. plus the gen 1 clutch and more power is a fail ( in my eyes ) if i had the dual clutch i would think more about doing it, i have a freiend that has the VF setup and its amazing.. and a buddy that has the turbo set up on his.. ( gen1 ) he just has to replace the clutch around 30k miles lol
Ricky the R8 guru out of England says under 1000hp no need for any other upgrades. I only plan to go to 800hp. But I hear you and fully understand your point of view... I am building my own turbo set up, so cost is minimal comparatively.

·
Premium Member
09 r8 v8
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ricky the R8 guru out of England says under 1000hp no need for any other upgrades. I only plan to go to 800hp. But I hear you and fully understand your point of view... I am building my own turbo set up, so cost is minimal comparatively.
well ****.. let me know what you end up doing, and your only about 6hr from me.. sooo lol,

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
well ****.. let me know what you end up doing, and your only about 6hr from me.. sooo lol,
When I do, you can be sure I'll post it here... I already started a thread somewhere on here.... I made the honeycomb mesh air intake the v10 sideblade (blacktopmods.com) and I had just started on my intercooler design and life happened... a lot of stuff going on. I should be in a place to continue within a year.. so it will probably be a while, but it will be posted here when it starts up again.

·
Registered
09 V8 6MT
296 Posts
VF Engineering is completing their new and improved V8 supercharger :)
They gonna offer the original inferior one for a discount then haha? At 19k as much as I love my manual Gen 1, especially as my daily, I’d just roll that into a Gen 2. With the US dollar being pretty choice right now I’m hoping the TTS may be in the more manageable ball park lol.

·
Premium Member
09 r8 v8
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I do, you can be sure I'll post it here... I already started a thread somewhere on here.... I made the honeycomb mesh air intake the v10 sideblade (blacktopmods.com) and I had just started on my intercooler design and life happened... a lot of stuff going on. I should be in a place to continue within a year.. so it will probably be a while, but it will be posted here when it starts up again.
i know on one of the VF supercharger they used the frunck area a little, for cooler..
i need all the space i can get lol .

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
i know on one of the VF supercharger they used the frunck area a little, for cooler..
i need all the space i can get lol .
I would be putting them in the engine bay (except for the radiators to cool the fluid - which will be in the front somewhere, but not in the frunk -somewhere with good airflow).
I like this design (NOT an endorsement for the company - I know very little about them):
Hood Light Blue Automotive lighting Automotive design
Light Green Automotive tire Purple Font

Where I left off:
White Rectangle Slope Font Line

Reactions: AdamSports

·
Premium Member
09 r8 v8
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would be putting them in the engine bay (except for the radiators to cool the fluid - which will be in the front somewhere, but not in the frunk -somewhere with good airflow).
I like this design (NOT an endorsement for the company - I know very little about them):
View attachment 281284 View attachment 281285

Where I left off:
View attachment 281286
Nice!!!
i heard someone makeing ther gen 1 a RWD and putting there air tank ( for the bags ) and there cooler in that area too

·
Premium Member
09 r8 v8
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice!!!
i heard someone makeing ther gen 1 a RWD and putting there air tank ( for the bags ) and there cooler in that area too
Nice!!!
View attachment 281284 View attachment 281285

Where I left off:
View attachment 281286
what about the tune for that ?? someone around you able to do that ?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
what about the tune for that ?? someone around you able to do that ?
Moi (me). h ahhah ah

And I have a few connections for dyno's.... one place wants me to work there! What? NO WAY I'm going to experiment on some guys brand new McClaren 720 (which they suggested!) Don't get me wrong, they are good enough to fix anything I break, but geeeesh... I am going to do my car and get the bugs worked out (never going over 800 BHP)...then sell the whole system, including custom exhaust. Twin Turbo R8 V8 market... small but fun.

Reactions: XTROYDX
1 - 20 of 34 Posts