Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,385 Posts
I'm sure you're going to hear this a lot, but McLarens aren't known for being the most reliable super car on the road. I was also looking at them before I got an R8 and I spoke to the Service Manager for McLaren Newport Beach, CA and he told me they are in service a lot. When contrasted against the awesome reliability of the R8... I made my choice.

· Registered
1,385 Posts
a gen 2 r8 will feel like a massive upgrade over a gen 1 v8. i dont think you would be disappointed like it was a marginal improvement at all
There may be a solution for the non-technical for more power in the V8... VF Engineering is completing their new and improved V8 supercharger :) so you may get the best of both worlds a lighter more nimble car (that's what the race car drivers say about the V8 vs the V10) and get the same power as a v10.

as for me, I've been on hold with my twin turbo project, but when I get that done, I'll have an 800HP V8. :cool:

Reactions: XTROYDX

· Registered
1,385 Posts
thank you,
to waste that amount on a v8,. i would just get a v10. plus the gen 1 clutch and more power is a fail ( in my eyes ) if i had the dual clutch i would think more about doing it, i have a freiend that has the VF setup and its amazing.. and a buddy that has the turbo set up on his.. ( gen1 ) he just has to replace the clutch around 30k miles lol
Ricky the R8 guru out of England says under 1000hp no need for any other upgrades. I only plan to go to 800hp. But I hear you and fully understand your point of view... I am building my own turbo set up, so cost is minimal comparatively.

· Registered
1,385 Posts
well ****.. let me know what you end up doing, and your only about 6hr from me.. sooo lol,
When I do, you can be sure I'll post it here... I already started a thread somewhere on here.... I made the honeycomb mesh air intake the v10 sideblade (blacktopmods.com) and I had just started on my intercooler design and life happened... a lot of stuff going on. I should be in a place to continue within a year.. so it will probably be a while, but it will be posted here when it starts up again.

· Registered
1,385 Posts
i know on one of the VF supercharger they used the frunck area a little, for cooler..
i need all the space i can get lol .
I would be putting them in the engine bay (except for the radiators to cool the fluid - which will be in the front somewhere, but not in the frunk -somewhere with good airflow).
I like this design (NOT an endorsement for the company - I know very little about them):
Hood Light Blue Automotive lighting Automotive design
Light Green Automotive tire Purple Font

Where I left off:
White Rectangle Slope Font Line

Reactions: AdamSports

· Registered
1,385 Posts
what about the tune for that ?? someone around you able to do that ?
Moi (me). h ahhah ah

And I have a few connections for dyno's.... one place wants me to work there! What? NO WAY I'm going to experiment on some guys brand new McClaren 720 (which they suggested!) Don't get me wrong, they are good enough to fix anything I break, but geeeesh... I am going to do my car and get the bugs worked out (never going over 800 BHP)...then sell the whole system, including custom exhaust. Twin Turbo R8 V8 market... small but fun.

· Registered
1,385 Posts
whell ****! lol
that makes is easyer..

keep me updated.
whats your IG i will follow you on there.. incase i am to lasy to log in here lol
@blacktop_mods keep in mind, I don't expect to start on this project again for up to a year... I'm in the middle of some significant life changes (not negative, not bad health, not divorce, etc.) ... just personal).

• Helpful

· Registered
1,385 Posts
You can be sure I'll share it here when I do. On this site, I've already opened a thread. Life happened—there was a lot going on—and I made the honeycomb mesh air intake for the v10 sideblade (blacktopmods.com). I had also just begun working on my intercooler design. It will probably take some time, but when it resumes, it will be announced here. I should be in a position to continue within a year.
Not sure why you quoted me without quotes, but just to be clear. It was me who posted this comment.

· Registered
1,385 Posts
When I do, you can be sure I'll post it here... I already started a thread somewhere on here.... I made the honeycomb mesh air intake the v10 sideblade (blacktopmods.com) and I had just started on my intercooler design and life happened... a lot of stuff going on. I should be in a place to continue within a year.. so it will probably be a while, but it will be posted here when it starts up again.

· Registered
1,385 Posts
well ****.. let me know what you end up doing, and your only about 6hr from me.. sooo lol,
Just started contacting consultants today about CARB compliance. I got my car smogged today (passed) but had a long talk with my SMOG guy... he said, ...there are a lot of ways to fool the electronic surveillance (man he went over what guys are doing now.. insane.. hire a hacker!) and you can swap the ECU for a stock one... anyway.. he said that's not the hard part.. the hard part is the visual inspection. He said one look at the intercoolers in the back of the R8 (or Huracan...etc) and you fail.

You might be able to hide the turbos, but you're never gonna be able to hide the intercoolers. So I decided to investigate CARB compliance as I have a buddy who used to be in the auto performance biz and he said it was "easy"... I think he's probably been away from it too long... but the only way to really know is to speak with a CARB compliance consultant..so that's what I'm doing.

Then I'll know if it's a go or no go. I don't know how VF Engineering is doing it for the California Cars. As their superchargers are not a CARB compliant parts (that I know of). @VF-Engineering are they??

· Registered
1,385 Posts
We are in process of CARB Approval. It is a lengthy process!
I knew you were in the process for the new V8 Supercharger, but are you going for CARB compliance for the V10's? Also what about all the ones out there now? That's kind of what I was talking about.

Just to be clear, I am not in any way disparaging your product. The only reason I am building a twin turbo set up is because of the looks. I love the R8 Rings on the Intake Plenum and don't want to get rid of them. Also, I am going to be working with SEMA CARB compliance (if they would ever return an email) ha hahah. I wish you guys made a supercharger that kept the R8 rings and logo on the intake plenum... I even asked you guys for that over a year ago and was told it's not possible. So this is the only reason I am even making my own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts