Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Can you please tell me how you secured these? It won’t grab. I got 19mm t25 bolts. Thank you
I have 20mm long screws but haven’t installed yet. I didn’t want to get anything much deeper, because I’m not sure what’s beyond the bumper cover that I might not want to drill into. Don’t these just secure to the bumper cover?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I just bought a set of these! Can someone please shed some light on how to install these? There's no instructions, Im not ready to just start drilling holes. Thx in advance.
On mine, I removed the tape that came pre-installed because a.) it wasn't installed "correctly" and b.) I fully wrapped it in PPF to prevent rocks from chipping it. I bought my own 3M acrylic foam tape, properly prepped the surface using alcohol wipes, and 3M's adhesion promoter for acrylic foam tape. Originally, I didn't want to drill holes in the rear bumper cover, but it actually ended up making installation easier.

First, I didn't use the **** hardware that came with these. They're lightly covered in some black paint, but I'm sure they'd rust over time. I ended up getting some PVD coated titanium screws for the install. We test fit the piece aligning it in the desired location. Used a punch awl to mark the hole for drilling on the cover. We drilled two 1/8" holes for the titanium hardware per side (i.e. that hole dimension will change based on the hardware that you decide to use. There needs to be enough plastic for the screw to bite and tighten). After this, I prepped the bumper by cleaning with a soapy water solution to remove residual wax, rinsed the areas with water to remove the soap, and then used a final alcohol wipe to make sure that the surface was devoid of any remaining chemicals. Then, we removed corners of the release liner on the 3M tape folding it back and taping it to the CF piece with Painter's Tape so that you can access it just prior to making contact with your bumper. You don't want to fully remove the release liner in case you make contact with your prepped bumper. Once it sticks, it's incredibly difficult to reposition if you've done all your prep steps correctly. We then floated the CF piece just underneath the bumper so that we could start driving in the titanium hardware. As we started getting the piece close to the bumper, we removed all the remaining release liner and then continued to screw it down until full contact was made between the 3M tape and the plastic bumper, then pushed around the perimeter for good measure.

Wait 24-28 hours for a full tape wet out before you really start driving at high speeds. During this time period, bond strength will increase to 95% of maximum hold strength.

Reactions: bullzeye and Mp5o

·
Registered
291 Posts
No shortcuts 👍🏻

On mine, I removed the tape that came pre-installed because a.) it wasn't installed "correctly" and b.) I fully wrapped it in PPF to prevent rocks from chipping it. I bought my own 3M acrylic foam tape, properly prepped the surface using alcohol wipes, and 3M's adhesion promoter for acrylic foam tape. Originally, I didn't want to drill holes in the rear bumper cover, but it actually ended up making installation easier.

First, I didn't use the **** hardware that came with these. They're lightly covered in some black paint, but I'm sure they'd rust over time. I ended up getting some PVD coated titanium screws for the install. We test fit the piece aligning it in the desired location. Used a punch awl to mark the hole for drilling on the cover. We drilled two 1/8" holes for the titanium hardware per side (i.e. that hole dimension will change based on the hardware that you decide to use. There needs to be enough plastic for the screw to bite and tighten). After this, I prepped the bumper by cleaning with a soapy water solution to remove residual wax, rinsed the areas with water to remove the soap, and then used a final alcohol wipe to make sure that the surface was devoid of any remaining chemicals. Then, we removed corners of the release liner on the 3M tape folding it back and taping it to the CF piece with Painter's Tape so that you can access it just prior to making contact with your bumper. You don't want to fully remove the release liner in case you make contact with your prepped bumper. Once it sticks, it's incredibly difficult to reposition if you've done all your prep steps correctly. We then floated the CF piece just underneath the bumper so that we could start driving in the titanium hardware. As we started getting the piece close to the bumper, we removed all the remaining release liner and then continued to screw it down until full contact was made between the 3M tape and the plastic bumper, then pushed around the perimeter for good measure.

Wait 24-28 hours for a full tape wet out before you really start driving at high speeds. During this time period, bond strength will increase to 95% of maximum hold strength.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts