Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am thinking of getting one but in reality it's just a watered down Gallardo lamborghini... 420HP car for 100k+? and it only does 0-60 in 4.6 secs.

A $50,000 corvette does that in 4.2 secs.. a $50,000 Shelby Mustang does that in 4.5 secs

actually I'll probably just end up getting a 1 year old Gallardo Lamborghini.. much more bang for the buck in both prestige and power and much higher resell value

·
Registered
840 Posts
I am thinking of getting one but in reality it's just a watered down Gallardo lamborghini... 420HP car for 100k+? and it only does 0-60 in 4.6 secs.
Seeing as Audi own Lamborghini ... isn't the Gallardo a less well engineered Audi ... ;)

Eithr way both cars will be great fun to own ... so regardless of what one you buy ... enjoy it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if Audi owns lamborghini than why are they even making these cars?

They don't want to stick the lamborghini name onto these cars and bring down the value of true lamborghinis but in reality it's just a poor mans lambo.

Like a porsche boxster or cayman.

·
Registered
840 Posts
if Audi owns lamborghini than why are they even making these cars?

They don't want to stick the lamborghini name onto these cars and bring down the value of true lamborghinis but in reality it's just a poor mans lambo.

Like a porsche boxster or cayman.
Steady on ... the first line was 'tongue in cheek' ... hence the winking smilie ;) at the end of the line.

I think Audi are making the R8 ... because they can ... because they want to ... and because it will likely be a substantially different car than its modern Lambo cousins ... which tend to be out and out brash, bold and in your face cars ... both in terms of power, handling and styling ... the R8 on the other hand is likely to be ... refined ... stylish ... practical ... and very usable.

imho ... the R8 might make a similar impression on the luxury, high performance, two seater, sports car market, than the NSX did around 15 years ago. The NSX ... while not the fasted kid on the block ... was the most usable ... and drivable ... car in it's class ... not to mention it was far more reliable than similar speced Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc. ... not to mention less expensive ... imho the R8 may well turn out to be a modern day NSX ... in the way it will offer practicality, performance and reliability, that will likely prove to be as good ... if not better ... than anything else in the price/performance bracket that it ends up in ... imho

By the sounds of it the R8 is not the kind of car you want ... in terms of styling or performance ... but at the end of the day all the above is just ... imho ... so ... titanz ... please don't take any of the above as being directed against you ... its only my opinion ... so no hard feelings eh ... :confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I am going to be spending 100k+ on a car than I want it to turn heads when I drive by.. no one buys a car for that kind of $$ for any other reason but to make a statement.
I am not sure this thing is going to catch on like Audi thinks it will.. it's kind of strangely designed in the looks department also.

maybe the v10 version is worth it but who knows when that is going to be out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i own a 54 plate gallardo e-gear and also an 06 rs4 and i can say hand on heart the rs4 makes me smile every bit as much as the lambo, and remember the r8 will be in the same group class as the am v8 which does 0-60 in a little over 5 seconds but is more expensive

·
Registered
90 Posts
all i gotta say to titanz is ignorance is bliss... and you will definitely be happy with your lambo becuz you dont know any better. I am sorry buddy... but havent you ever wondered whyy there are so many gallardos with for sale stickers and only 4,000 miles on the odom... and these are 2004 models might i add... Its because people get sick of these cars and realize that they are only for show and not for practicality, whereas the audi has it all, and in my opinion looks 10 times better than the gallardo which has nothing to it other than a well known emblem on its hood. Sorry my friend, but 420 and most likely 0-60 in as low as 4.3 or 4.4 sounds pretty **** good, apparently you dont know enough about cars to know that the german "titans" are usually conservative with their numbers. Also a sound system from one of the best companies in the world is also very appealing. There is just too much to even list that the Audi has over the Lambo, its sad really. For 100k u get a car better than the 200k lambo, and apparently you arent very well informed when it comes to cars or else you would have realized this already and would have put down a deposit on your R8. Sad day, really is. Anywayz have fun with your lambo and let me know when youre ready to trade it in for the R8. As for me, i just put my deposit down for the one and only R8 coming to my my town of 700k people next year.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Oh, and out of those 700k people, I will be the only one with an R8, and there are at least 10 gallardos that I have personally seen driving around. They are getting a bit old really.
... and a bit common by the sound of it ... ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I recently read an article about the Gallardo that made me change my mind.
The guy was saying the visibility is very poor , the suspension kills your ass , the V10 directly behind your head is pretty loud....and he gets gawked at everywhere he goes and even filmed haha

Although the last part might not change too much in an R8.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-Y7fLOYxTe8&mode=related&search=

still looks better than an R8....they may be commen where you live but I have never seen one here.. ever

Oh, and out of those 700k people, I will be the only one with an R8, and there are at least 10 gallardos that I have personally seen driving around. They are getting a bit old really.
and there are at least 10 gallardos that I have personally seen driving around.
There is going to be a hell of alot more Audi R8's on the road than Gallardo's because of the price tag.. I'll assure you that.
and they are going to be popping up for sale all over just the same in no time.

10 cars in a city of 700k isn't exactly played out.

Your knocking the Gallardo when in reality you just ordered one with a smaller engine....

and I still think it looks like a Dolphin wearing earings.

I've decided on a 911 Turbo....... for only 20k more you get a 480HP car that does 0-60 in 3.7 secs.
The R8 is simply not worth it's price tag for what it is. People are only ordering it now because it's a new novelty item.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah right. If there are so many other better cars that you are thinking of buying why are you wasting your time boring the ass of all of the R8 enthusiasts here ? :confused:
I totally second that. This guy needs to be kicked off this forum. His ignorance is surpassed by none. Obviously he has never driven a Gallardo. All he sees is the emblem. Thats all anyone ever sees. And by the way Audi of fresno is a small dealership and audi of beverly hills for example currently has a waiting list of 11 people so I dont think our town will have 2 many of these. I usually stick to the better end of town where you see at least 1 or 2 gallardos a day. I am sure there are more than 10, but thats around how many I've seen just recently. Sorry buddy, you are on the wrong forum. Go back to your Lambo forums, where stupidity runs rampant.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Oh and by the way, about the 911, I think id rather stick to a car that is new, and not 40 years old. I admit it drives, but since you are so concerned about image (please see your previous posts about the Gallardo) and appearance, why are you still getting the blandist sports car in the market today??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yes kick me off the forums because i am not in awe of the Gallardo wannabe.
You sound like a blind R8 fan boy to me.

And of course you are going to see many high end cars driving around freakin Beverly Hills. That is all you see there.

But the fact remains the same.. You are buying a baby Gallardo so I have absolutely no clue how you can justify talking down about the very car the R8 was inspired by. Your sure praising the R8 to high heaven without having even driven one yet.

The R8 actually looks alot like an Eclipse spyder if you ask me.

this doesn't look very bland to me and it would whoop an R8 before it even knew what happened.

I would cancel that down payment if I were you. ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
you might be right but then when we hit 205 in our r8's which has been said by audi i think youll be some where in the background plus if i was going for a porsche i think id have the GT2 for real drivers

·
Registered
182 Posts
ad another thing what is it with you american's and engine size, you seem to think bigger is always better how about i get my litchfield type 25 impreza and it will kill your 911 turbo and they are only £39k so remember size and value isn't every thing if your a real car enthusiast, who give

1 - 20 of 22 Posts