Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how many Spyder owners are a little miffed that their car doesn't have a glass engine cover. Or how many more Spyder owners there might be if indeed Audi offered this (even as an option). Some folks I know who drive Gallardos still kick themselves each time we meet up and they see my R8 coupe with the engine under glass and they kick themselves because they opted against paying the $5,000 or so for that option on their baby Lambos.

Is it only a matter of time before some very clever people come up with an aftermarket solution for this? Or is there some complicated reason why this cannot (and has not) been done? :confused:

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
You wouldn't be able to see much of the engine as the cover behind the larger cover for the soft top is only about a foot wide. It also wouldn't be a "pretty" as the coupe display.

I don't miss it but others may.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You wouldn't be able to see much of the engine as the cover behind the larger cover for the soft top is only about a foot wide. It also wouldn't be a "pretty" as the coupe display.

I don't miss it but others may.
Thanks. This is one of those topics that only those in the know could speak effectively on, and for the rest of us, we can only speculate.

On that note, however, I wonder how Lamborghini solved this problem, because even on the LP560-4 Spyders, the glass engine cover is still an option. Hmmm...

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I don't know how it can be done given the car's dimensions and lack of space to store the soft top. Ferrari has a patent on a folding top that stores vertically between the engine and the seats rather than flat over the engine, though I don't know if that's how the F430 Spider's top gets folded away or if there is just more space between the seat backs and the engine and they just lay their top flat, too. Heck, I'd be happy just to be able to open the lid and see the engine, something I can't do, much less see it thru a glass lid (sigh). You'd have to make a Roadster out of the car (no roof at all) and remove the stowage compartment and that would allow for a glass window. Given the car's dimensions, I don't see how it can be done, sad to say...

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how it can be done given the car's dimensions and lack of space to store the soft top. Ferrari has a patent on a folding top that stores vertically between the engine and the seats rather than flat over the engine, though I don't know if that's how the F430 Spider's top gets folded away or if there is just more space between the seat backs and the engine and they just lay their top flat, too. Heck, I'd be happy just to be able to open the lid and see the engine, something I can't do, much less see it thru a glass lid (sigh). You'd have to make a Roadster out of the car (no roof at all) and remove the stowage compartment and that would allow for a glass window. Given the car's dimensions, I don't see how it can be done, sad to say...
You might be on to something there! An R8 Roadster or Speedster for fairweather driving only, less weight, and the full glory of the engine basking under the sun.

Audi, are you listening? :D

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Thanks. This is one of those topics that only those in the know could speak effectively on, and for the rest of us, we can only speculate.

On that note, however, I wonder how Lamborghini solved this problem, because even on the LP560-4 Spyders, the glass engine cover is still an option. Hmmm...
Never seen a pic of the lambo spyder with a glass cover but when I was looking at a LP560 spyder put it's top down last summer, the soft top system was similar but the engine access was different. Don't know how they would do it and actually seems like it would be more difficult than with the R8.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never seen a pic of the lambo spyder with a glass cover but when I was looking at a LP560 spyder put it's top down last summer, the soft top system was similar but the engine access was different. Don't know how they would do it and actually seems like it would be more difficult than with the R8.
It's possible I could have been mistaken.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have a picture of the Spyder's engine bay?

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the Spyder's engine bay?
Went out and took some pictures with the iphone. All you can really see is the airbox. The looker part of then engine is under the soft top tub.

I don't miss the engine bay. Watching the top go up and down is much cooler than looking at an engine that just sits there;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Purely for car show purposes, my twist on the idea is/was as fololows:
Cut a large section out of the fixed cover that resides below the retracted convertible and the engine, and to replace this cut out with Lexan or glass.
Then, you could semi-retract the convertible into a "midway" position.
You can peer straight down to the engine bay.
Huge hassle but....

·
Registered
247 Posts
I took my tub off and looked around when I was bypassing my exhaust vacuum switches. I actually think/thought the tub is part of the rigidity to the spyder body. Much like the cross braces you see in some engine bays.

Since the louvres over the engine bay are fake I’ve wondered what replacing them with plexi would look like but then you see that if you remove them there still isn’t an opening to see through.

I’ve got some ideas on modifying the lower louvres that actually are functional. Kind of like the top rear fender scoops on the Pagani’s.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Gentlemen i get it you want to see the engine but dont you think Audi would have done that if it could be done.
And way old part if you could make more ventilation it would be Great since these cars do get hot.
God luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts