Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I am just about to close a deal on a 2017 R8 V10.

Mileage = ~8K

Warranty expired on 4/30/2020

Exterior = dynamite red
Interior = black

Options:

$178,250 Original MSRP

20'' 10-Spoke Y Design Forged Wheels-Silver Finish
Red Brake Calipers
Carbon Exterior Package
* Carbon Sigma Side Blades
* Carbon Fiber Engine Compartment

* Diamond Stitch Leather Package
* Full Leather Package
* Diamond Stitched Seats and Headliner

The car is reportedly in mint/as-new condition with no mechanical or cosmetic imperfections. I will see it in person on Sunday, with a PPI scheduled for Monday.

The negotiated price is $117K. Is this a good price, great price, or too high?

Is the orange tinted dynamic red a popular color or is it less desirable?

This will be my first sports car at age 58 (I have had other priorities until now :)) and I will keep it for a long time. I have been looking at sports cars for 35 years and now I can actually buy one!

But, I am new to the supercar world and would appreciate your perspectives on this potential purchase.

When I first ran across an R8 in 2009/2010 time frame, I new I had finally found 'the car'. Now that I am about to retire, I will hopefully be able to finally scratch the R8 itch :cool:!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
IMHO this seems like a good deal, thats a lot of car for that price. Oh and biased for fastest color

·
Registered
15 Posts
With those miles and options it seems to be in line. I don't think the color hurts it either, not alot of those on the market as most are black or white.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I offered $117K based on the owner believing that the warranty expired in May 2021.

After doing some 'due diligence' by dropping by an Audi service department and having them check, I learned that the warranty expired April 30th, 2020.

I was comfortable with the negotiated price before I discovered that the warranty had expired. Now I am less sure the deal is a good one.

The owner is an older gentleman and he confused an Audi care package with an Audi warranty. There was no ill intent on his part.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The service records were squeaky clean according to the Service manager that I spoke with. All service at required miles or elapsed time were performed on schedule by Audi R8 certified technicians at an Audi dealership.

Given the low mileage, most service were performed annually and the 10,20,30,and 40K services have been completed, with the 40K service accomplished in April 2020.

The only item on the service records that is noteworthy is that 'struts' were replaced after the first couple of thousand miles. Can I presume those were leaking magnetic shocks that were replaced?

Also, I forgot to mention that I will be the 3rd owner.

The first owner drove 4800 miles in 3 years and the most recent owner drove another 3000 miles in about a year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
FWIW I picked up a 2017 non-plus last week for slightly less than that from a dealer. Car is $173 MSRP with 18K miles, no 20-inch wheels and no carbon exterior package, although previous owner installed the carbon side blades and a Capristo exhaust.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi What911, thanks for sharing. Seems like I'm in the ballpark with this car.

Beastly, Fasthwks, thanks for your feedback as well.

Would appreciate more confirmation from others. Thanks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Get the seller to discount the cost of a new Audi Extended Warranty.

I understand it will be more expensive , as the original warranty has expired. It would typically have been cheaper had the owner extended, with the original one intact.

Suggest getting a quote from dealer.

Best,

James

Hi What911, thanks for sharing. Seems like I'm in the ballpark with this car.

Beastly, Fasthwks, thanks for your feedback as well.

Would appreciate more confirmation from others. Thanks.

·
Registered
Switzer GTR, Protomotive 996TT, RS4, 17 Suzuka R8
28 Posts
I think $117 with those options and mileage is a great price.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks ApexRs. I look at all of the asking prices online and it's not clear how much negotiating room there is on some of these and prices seems to vary a lot for cars with similar options/condition/mileage, so it's tough to build confidence that this is a good price.

So I appreciate having some additional perspectives to help keep me grounded :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Seems like a fair price to me. When you buy a used car you always assume no warranty is included and that shouldn't affect the price negatively at all considering the mileage and all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi murph145. Normally, I would not include warranty in my pricing negotiations. But in this case, I was assured there was 9 or 10 months left on the warranty.

Given that Fidelity and Audi will only provide extended warranties now for cars that are still under warranty ... this error now means that not only is there no remaining factory warranty, but getting a good quality extended warranty is also no longer an option. From my perspective, this situation definitely impacts the value in terms of what I was originally willing to pay.

That's one perspective. The other is the absolute value of a car that is not under factor warranty and is also no longer eligible for extended warranties. And that's why I'm looking for independent perspectives :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Gotcha

At the end of the day you have the choice. You can buy or not buy so if that is a huge issue with you don't buy and maybe look for a 2018 year model that will still have remaining warranty left.

In my mind you can't expect a bargain price on something and then expect to get all the added value plus items like a "warranty" but that is just my own thoughts.

Happy shopping.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi murph145, I hear what you are saying. All I'm stating is that I looked at the whole picture when assigning value. I.e. I based the value partially on the statement that the car had a 9 months left on the factory warranty. Now that I found out that is not true, it potentially impacts the value. At the very least, it is leverage in the negotiation process.

In an hypothetical analogy: Let's say you are buying a lakefront property and the current owners tell you that you can build a dock for your boat right behind your home. This will impact what you offer for the property, right?. Then if you find out that the current owners are wrong and you can't build a dock, that would likely impact the value of the property negatively.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi murph145. Normally, I would not include warranty in my pricing negotiations. But in this case, I was assured there was 9 or 10 months left on the warranty.

Given that Fidelity and Audi will only provide extended warranties now for cars that are still under warranty ... this error now means that not only is there no remaining factory warranty, but getting a good quality extended warranty is also no longer an option. From my perspective, this situation definitely impacts the value in terms of what I was originally willing to pay.

That's one perspective. The other is the absolute value of a car that is not under factor warranty and is also no longer eligible for extended warranties. And that's why I'm looking for independent perspectives :)
This is not true. You can still get extended warranty from Fidelity even if the factory warranty has expired. You just have to let whichever dealership that’s selling you the warranty do a diagnostic on the car ($150 - $200) You can do that at an Audi dealership. 3 years/36K miles warranty with $250 deductible should be just over $2K.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi murph145, I hear what you are saying. All I'm stating is that I looked at the whole picture when assigning value. I.e. I based the value partially on the statement that the car had a 9 months left on the factory warranty. Now that I found out that is not true, it potentially impacts the value. At the very least, it is leverage in the negotiation process.

In an hypothetical analogy: Let's say you are buying a lakefront property and the current owners tell you that you can build a dock for your boat right behind your home. This will impact what you offer for the property, right?. Then if you find out that the current owners are wrong and you can't build a dock, that would likely impact the value of the property negatively.
Sure but those are two different things IMO.

You have to figure out what you think that is worth and if the seller thinks so too then cool, but as a seller I wouldn't assign any less to my used car based on the warranty being gone.

Like I said up to you in the end. Maybe he will be willing to work with you a few $.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Understood. I'm not going to let the error regarding the warranty derail the purchase, but I absolutely will try to use it as leverage :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sure but those are two different things IMO.

You have to figure out what you think that is worth and if the seller thinks so too then cool, but as a seller I wouldn't assign any less to my used car based on the warranty being gone.

Like I said up to you in the end. Maybe he will be willing to work with you a few $.
Agreed, remember that Audi Care is also worth $. IMO they're offsetting factors in terms of $, and it probably takes more time to find a car that's in the color combo that you want with the options that you want, with the condition and mileage that's acceptable to you, at a price point that you're willing to pay given how few cars are currently listed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
True What911. The Audi Care does have a little value in this case. I could squeeze in the 50K service before it expires on 4/29/2021. Probably saves a couple of hundred bucks maybe?

And I'm already compromising a little. Dynamite Red is probably 4th on my list of colors. After having owned black cars in Texas, I don't want another one (plus they are hard to keep in top cosmetic condition).

White is not a color I enjoy in a car. That leaves silver out of the set of most common colors that I might be interested in and that's already pretty limiting in terms of selection.

What I would prefer is a special color for such a special car such as:
• Kemora Grey
• Porsche Riviera Blue
• Frosted Glass Blue
• Santorini Blue
• Nardo Grey

But, if I wait for one of these to show up with a price tag I could live with along with the options I want, the interior color I want, and acceptable mileage.

Well, I'll probably find a unicorn first !;)

My priorities are:
  1. Price: <$115K
  2. Condition (needs to be mint)
  3. Low mileage
  4. Black interior
  5. Exterior paint color
  6. Must have options (carbon exterior pkg, full leather pkg+diamond stitching)
  7. Nice to have options (carbon interior pkg, Dynamic steering, painted brake calipers (red), audi all weather mats, Audi Beam, First Aid Kit, USB cables, 20" wheel pkg)
How does this car stack up?
  1. Price: $116.5K
  2. It is in mint condition mechanically and cosmetically
  3. It has 7250 miles on the odometer.
  4. It has a black interior
  5. Exterior paint color is number 4 on my list (the first three are Daytona Gray Pearl, Ara Blue Metallic, and Florette Silver Metallic)
  6. Required options: It has diamond stitching/full leather package and carbon exterior package
  7. Nice to have options: It has painted brake calipers and 20" forged aluminum wheels
It's missing the carbon interior package (that I really can live without but would be nice to have), contrasting stitching (again, nice to have, but not critical). The other nice to have items that are missing are totally inconsequential (first aid kit, etc).

So, this car checks nearly all of my boxes. But, it's paint color isn't at the top of my list. Tough call. My wife want me to hold out for what she thinks is a "better, more desirable" color.
But, I think this color will grow on me. I don't really think that I'm going to get 100% of my boxes checked. If I hold out for that, the sun will probably run out of hydrogen first and turn into an iceball, ensuring that the whole color selection challenge will be moot :cry:

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you are willing to look nationwide, it would make it easier to meet most, if not all of your priorities. I limited myself to 200 miles of my home and so my choices were more limited. When I was looking for mine, I would find a color I wanted but the condition or mileage or price was not acceptable. It was difficult to get everything to my liking. I purchased a Samoa Orange Gen 1 because it only had 4500 miles, was in like-new condition, and was never tracked. The color was not even on my list of acceptable colors and I was okay but not enamored with the color back then. My friend who accompanied me to see the car loved the color and talked me into buying that car as it met all my other requirements. Turns out I absolutely love the color and am glad I went with this color instead of a red or blue that I originally wanted. I think the dynamite red is a really unique color and you might end up liking it a lot more down the road. You can always wrap the car if the color doesn't grow on you. I saw a Lambo Aventador in this same orange red color and it looked fantastic.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts