Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone made a post about the M6 being a great value and it got me thinking about other great value cars to put in my stable. I bought the R8 because I love the look and how it drives. I don't much care how fast it goes and the gen 1 v8 is plenty fast for me. The fact that it was such a great value really sealed the deal for me.

My richest friend is a legitimate billionaire and the guy always orders the special when we go out to dinner because it's typically $2 cheaper according to him. My second richest friend has about $300mm and when I fly on a jet with him he typically gets a "cheaper" one on charter because he likes the value proposition (he doesn't fly more than 100 hours a year). I really believe in value and see the not very wealthy people flashing cash in life and the ones who really have it not trying to flash it so much. That's my goal.

So, I've had some really good value vehicles. When I paid off my nearly 200k in student debt I treated myself to a V6 SEL Premium Passat and that car is one heck of a good value. The KLR 650 motorcycle is a great value. A Corolla is a great value. The R8 is a great value What other cars, but perhaps more on the luxury end, are great values???

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you were more keen on performance, I would say Nissan GT-R all day. I’ve owned a couple and they are just crazy value, although values are now holding much differently than what they used to be. I bought a $111k sticker 2014 brand new for $84k. Car is probably still selling in that same range 8 years later. C8 Vette would be another potential option for high value vehicles. More on the luxury side might be some of the Lexus vehicles or perhaps the Genesis lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Brilliant Red V10 Manual
165 Posts
Someone made a post about the M6 being a great value and it got me thinking about other great value cars to put in my stable. I bought the R8 because I love the look and how it drives. I don't much care how fast it goes and the gen 1 v8 is plenty fast for me. The fact that it was such a great value really sealed the deal for me.

My richest friend is a legitimate billionaire and the guy always orders the special when we go out to dinner because it's typically $2 cheaper according to him. My second richest friend has about $300mm and when I fly on a jet with him he typically gets a "cheaper" one on charter because he likes the value proposition (he doesn't fly more than 100 hours a year). I really believe in value and see the not very wealthy people flashing cash in life and the ones who really have it not trying to flash it so much. That's my goal.

So, I've had some really good value vehicles. When I paid off my nearly 200k in student debt I treated myself to a V6 SEL Premium Passat and that car is one heck of a good value. The KLR 650 motorcycle is a great value. A Corolla is a great value. The R8 is a great value What other cars, but perhaps more on the luxury end, are great values???
You know i'll say it. BMW M6 GC. 4 seats luxury, £100,000 car for £35-45,000. Looks amazing still and a timeless design like the R8 in my opinion. I had 110k miles on mine and no problems. Bulletproof S63TU engine. V8 twin turbo. @imran_q_ for pictures on my instagram. I'd suggest a Cayman gts 4.0 but not good value right now as too high in prices if you ask me and M6 GC is half the price used. Always go for extended leather interior on M6 for the better seats. Best second car on the planet! Unless you can find me a Zonda at that price lol. Test drive an M6 please lol, you'll buy it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My good value companion has been with me for 9 years. I have a 2008 VR6 TT in Manual with 140,000 miles that I drive when I'm not in the R8.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
most high end german models tend to tank quick on the used market relative to their msrp but if you can avoid a time bomb... my e63s and S6 both had $100k+ msrp's and bought for $33k and $44k respectively. very luxurious, comfortable, spacious, fast, high quality vehicles and bargains imo at those prices.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I've owned my fair share of "bang for your buck cars" at various tiers throughout the years. I could have gone for the more showy options (e.g. 911 over GTR or Huracan over R8) but couldn't rational the price difference personally. Could have but opted to be "smarter" with my decisions...

Let's see some of my "bang for your buck cars" I've had...

1.) Mid 2000s pocket rocket - Dodge SRT4 (turbo Neon) ran 13s out of the box. Getting my education there wasn't much more expensive I could have bought at the time.

2.) Late 2000s got a Corvette and boosted it and then mid 2010s grabbed a C7

3.) Mid 2010s snagged a Nissan GT-R.

The Corvette if you want that RWD V8 it's the best bang for your buck. Want AWD instead with that bang for your buck power go get a GT-R.

As for compliments to the R8 it really comes down to what you want and what your budget is. My compliment daily is a Tesla Model S Plaid. It's not cheap but unmatched acceleration, impressive tech, and full-self driving capable. :cool:

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you were more keen on performance, I would say Nissan GT-R all day. I’ve owned a couple and they are just crazy value, although values are now holding much differently than what they used to be. I bought a $111k sticker 2014 brand new for $84k. Car is probably still selling in that same range 8 years later. C8 Vette would be another potential option for high value vehicles. More on the luxury side might be some of the Lexus vehicles or perhaps the Genesis lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Problem with the GTR, aside from how ugly they are inside and out, is that they're one trick ponies. When they debuted the acceleration was outrageous - in 2022 it's just a fat heffer that can only accelerate decently and that's about it. Terrible communication with the road too. IMO there's no market for GTRs except fans of the Skyline. Might as well get a Tesla at this point. I'd normally be against it just for the audio but the GTR sounds terrible.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I suppose a lot of people equate value with performance bang for the buck - probably the logical way to look at it when on a sports car forum. But there's also just bang for the buck in terms of luxury or reliability.

If going used, and the idea was luxury bargains, I'd look at pretty much any older larger German sedan. As I've shared here in the past, I'm a big fan of the D3 S8. It's a beautiful looking large sedan, plenty of relevant technology, luxury, and you get a NA V10 in it that makes great sounds and provides respectable performance even today. Yes, you better have a good maintenance budget, but even in the worst of situations, the bills will never add up to what you'd spend on a new equivalent (> $100k).

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm really craving a new car, but just can't seem to justify paying these inflated prices. You make a good point about the cheaper price.covering potential repairs. But also a good warranty helped in the r8. I don't know if the warranties like fidelity are as good on 2 to 5 year old lux cars. I've never shopped them.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm really craving a new car, but just can't seem to justify paying these inflated prices. You make a good point about the cheaper price.covering potential repairs. But also a good warranty helped in the r8. I don't know if the warranties like fidelity are as good on 2 to 5 year old lux cars. I've never shopped them.
Order a new Lotus Emira

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't understand that car or brand. It looks like a ferarri and very harsh to drive. I really just want a manual wagon but it's non existent. I am sick of driving the one I have because I've put in 80k miles in road trips and I don't like cars that feel that used.

·
Registered
700 Posts
+1 on cayman gt4, or better yet a spyder (981) if your r8 is a coupe so u get the best of both worlds. The 718s are 15-30k above sticker now and not a good value. Lighter, more tossable car than the r8, sounds excellent in a porsche way (way better than 718, beat than any other flatsix except the GT cars), huge cult following which opens up the network and friends (porsche has one of the largest fan base, if not the biggest), easy to DIY and work on (lots of info on the precise service manuals and user knowledge pool on forums), holds value, relatively cheap parts, parts are always available as porsche continues to support all used parts (even vintage ones), cheap insurance, 6mt should last forever, track ready, bulletproof reliability probably even better than the r8. Fidelity probably covers them (i know fidelity doesnt cover gt3 and rs for a fact) , but I dont think it's needed as it's very reliable and parts are cheap, unlike the r8. Not as exotic or special or powerful as the r8, but way more versatile day to day, loads of fun, true driver's car. Would do very well especially if you get one under 100k, I cant believe it dipped as low as 70 a couple of years ago.
There are lots more powerful cars for cheaper, but not many are as well engineered as porsches. Maybe the C8 is pretty good from value standpoint, but very soon every neighbor will have one and they have started to depreciate due to the numbers made, even tho still selling above sticker at the moment.

Reactions: V10MANUAL

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is this really true?

"According to data released by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics on Thursday, the consumer price index for used cars and trucks jumped up by 40.5% from January 2021 to January 2022. That means within a year, the average price of used cars and trucks for urban consumers has gone up by 40.5%.Feb 13, 2022"

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I don't understand that car or brand. It looks like a ferarri and very harsh to drive. I really just want a manual wagon but it's non existent. I am sick of driving the one I have because I've put in 80k miles in road trips and I don't like cars that feel that used.
i own a lotus evora and its definetly not harsh to drive. its actually more comfortable than some other sports sedans i've owned. the emira wasnt for me after i saw one in person as its too mainstream but the evora is a great middle ground for someone who wants a daily driveable sports coupe. one could even argue its better 'value' than the r8 as it checks off more boxes (rear seats, bigger trunk, cheaper to maintain engine) at a cheaper price point but i dont want to enrage everyone on this forum :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts