Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 R8 and I noticed after driving my friends R8 his navigation screen looks just like google earth that is on my phone showing detailed real shots unlike mine that shows a generic colorful computer image of the road. How do I switch mine to look like google earth? I went into the setting and changed it to google earth but still looks the same?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Also you need a data connection for the car via a SIM. Also, I believe the 2017 will no longer support Google Maps soon IIRC from what I read somewhere a while back.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Working SIM card? Im new to this where do I go to obtain this? Is this like the normal SIM cards that goin the computer? after buying that how do I download the map overlay?

·
Premium Member
2017 Audi R8
44 Posts
If your car is preowned, call Audi connect and they will send you a new sim card. Once ypu get that (5 business days). You can sign up/log into audi connect and activate your sim card (cellular @ $25 a month) and have certain features in you car also via your phone.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If your car is preowned, call Audi connect and they will send you a new sim card. Once ypu get that (5 business days). You can sign up/log into audi connect and activate your sim card (cellular @ $25 a month) and have certain features in you car also via your phone.
You can use any company's SIM card I do not believe you need one specially from Audi.

Also, I can't find the "official" article in five seconds of google searching but come this December, Google Maps via Earth will not work anymore.

·
Premium Member
2017 Audi R8
44 Posts
True, I took my T Mobile card out out of S4 and it worked in the R8. But when I talked to Audi Connect, they said that should not have worked and said only AT&T will work ??‍♂. All I know is I got my new card (AT&T) and everything is good ?

·
Registered
121 Posts
You can also connect your car to the Internet for google earth via your phone if you pair it to your wireless hotspot.
A SIM card is more convenient as you don't have to accept every time you activate it, although it works flawlessly.

The news that google earth will cease to function 31st December 2020 is, as u2nelson states in the other thread, a betrayal of trust by Audi.
I'm not impressed as the standard maps are very poor.
I'm sure a firmware upgrade would ensure continuing functionality.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
You can also connect your car to the Internet for google earth via your phone if you pair it to your wireless hotspot.
A SIM card is more convenient as you don't have to accept every time you activate it, although it works flawlessly.

The news that google earth will cease to function 31st December 2020 is, as u2nelson states in the other thread, a betrayal of trust by Audi.
I'm not impressed as the standard maps are very poor.
I'm sure a firmware upgrade would ensure continuing functionality.
I'm 99.9% sure that mobile hotspot is to share the car's SIM with a mobile device. It's stupid but it does not go the other way around (the car tethering to your mobile phone).

·
Registered
121 Posts
It actually works perfectly via wireless hotspot.
I used it like that for five months before I decided to get a dedicated SIM (it's a bit annoying having to accept the Connection Manager confirmation every time; with the SIM installed in the vehicle it initialises as soon as you switch on the car, so is ready for use sooner).

I'm 99.9% sure that mobile hotspot is to share the car's SIM with a mobile device. It's stupid but it does not go the other way around (the car tethering to your mobile phone).

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
It actually works perfectly via wireless hotspot.
I used it like that for five months before I decided to get a dedicated SIM (it's a bit annoying having to accept the Connection Manager confirmation every time; with the SIM installed in the vehicle it initialises as soon as you switch on the car, so is ready for use sooner).
Care to explain to me how to set it up then I'm fairly certain it's not a two way direction from all the research I did on it back in the day.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here you go fella, excerpts straight from the quick reference manual:
Audi Connect_01.jpg

Here's the option to enable Google Earth maps and Google Street View:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
What is rSAP and how can I find if my phone has this? Currently using a Samsung S9+

And can this work on a 2017 R8?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an early 17 and it doesn't appear to have the option in the MMI to enable it. My quick reference guide is not the same as the one above either. What was that one from? I never get the option when pairing the phone to set up Audi Connect.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hipertec according to Wikipedia every Samsung S series phone has rSAP support. There's a pretty extensive list on their if anyone wants to look theirs up.
I have an iPhone 8 and it worked out of the box, car is also a 2017.

NazzR8 the option is in Connection Manager.
The quick reference excerpts I posted are straight off myaudi.com under Show Vehicle Details > To owner's manual > Quick Reference Guide > Quick reference guide - Audi R8

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have an early 17 and it doesn't appear to have the option in the MMI to enable it. My quick reference guide is not the same as the one above either. What was that one from? I never get the option when pairing the phone to set up Audi Connect.
I tried to do it to but just like you no luck and no option. I went thru connection manager and still no option

1 - 20 of 31 Posts