Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
got fuel?

maybe this is not worth a thread, or maybe it is.. But while driving through my hometown with my bicycle, I noticed something that I didnt think of yet...

Will you use normal 98 octane like it states in the manual?
OR would it be preferrable to use 100 octane?

I would gladly make my R8 baby a present with "better" fuel
, but IMHO there is no real benefit in 100octane which could be measured...

whats your opinion?

·
Registered
647 Posts
First US and EU fuel standards are not the same...
Use at least ROZ98 fuel in Europe and your R8 will run nicelly.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'll always run BP Ultimate. RON98. Shell VPower is RON97 here :(

·
Registered
274 Posts
and we call it "premium" in the states-
its the highest octane sold here...
and the most expensive.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well we all got 100 octane ... but would you or do you use it??

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think unless the ECU can change the iginition etc to deal with 100octane then it doesn''t gain you anything

·
Registered
782 Posts
I think unless the ECU can change the iginition etc to deal with 100octane then it doesn''t gain you anything
That is not correct, modern ECU will change the ignitiontiming with the fuel used. My current S4 had 8bhp more with BP Ultimate on the dyno then ordinary 98 fuel :) and 14nm torque more :D

·
Registered
772 Posts
in UK we tend to have 95 and 98 octane unleaded.

Very roughly 98 octane gives 5% more bhp or mpg then 95 and so tend to use it if price differential is 5% or less.

Apply same rule to all my cars whether it be mini, A3 or 997.

·
Registered
381 Posts
in UK we tend to have 95 and 98 octane unleaded.

Very roughly 98 octane gives 5% more bhp or mpg then 95 and so tend to use it if price differential is 5% or less.

Apply same rule to all my cars whether it be mini, A3 or 997.
Actually, we tend to have 95 and 97 octane unleaded, but some brands are now 98. Shell V-power is higher still, at 100.

As someone else mentioned, unless your ECU is capable of adapting to the higher octane (or is specifically set to use it) it won't give you any advantage whatsoever, but the R8 will adapt.

Japanese petrol goes way over 100 RON.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, we tend to have 95 and 97 octane unleaded, but some brands are now 98. Shell V-power is higher still, at 100.

As someone else mentioned, unless your ECU is capable of adapting to the higher octane (or is specifically set to use it) it won't give you any advantage whatsoever, but the R8 will adapt.

Japanese petrol goes way over 100 RON.
thanks guys for all your opinions and facts..
JampoTT - I read that ECU thing aswel.. so you think that 100RON will be "feelable" with the R8 since he can adapt?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts