Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only just realized that I could not get insurance without a GPS tracking system, so I am now investigating what the best deal is.

The car will be registered in Luxembourg but with a GPS system the location of the provider is totally irrelevant. Hopefully my insurance company will also understand that.

The quotes I got in Luxembourg look pretty high with the hardware costing EUR 788 (tax and installation included) and a yearly contract of EUR 249.

Does anyone know of a better option ?

Thanks,

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

I know, I'm a nudge, but somehow my postings seems to get replies when I do this.

Thanks and have a great weekend all!

·
Registered
184 Posts
That will depend on whether you're doing it to satisfy the insurance companies, or for your own piece of mind.
The Audi Cobratrak could be a good option... UK cost is £850 incl 1 year's subscription. I think it's £200/year after that. Fitting is extra, of course! It's also Europe wide so it shouldn't be an issue where your car lives.
If you're planning on keeping the car for more than 3 years, then look at the Tracker Horizon. For a one off payment of £350 you can get a "lifetime subscription". The unit is around £400 I think.

All this is UK based, of course......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Although the Horizon does have GPS tracking (according to tracker's website 'The vehicle is now emitting a silent land based radio signal and its position is being logged via GPS satellites') they also state 'The silent signal can now be picked up by any of the UK's 52 police forces that are within the vicinity of the stolen vehicle' - and this was exactly what happened when my wife's car was stolen last year; we needed a Police car to drive by and pick up the signal.

I wonder what the GPS part actually does then - it doesn't appear to be broadcasting the car's position, because then the Police could have been directed to it, rather than having to stumble across it.

I'd hope the Audi system (and Porsche's new system) was sophisticated enough to use GPS to guide the Police to a stolen car, but maybe there's some restriction on using GPS that way?

·
Registered
184 Posts
My R8 has CobraTrak on it, so I'll let you know exactly what the deal is with it when I get the paperwork. I know it has a remote shutdown feature included, and should be able to let the authorities know where it is located.
As for the GPS signal, I'm not sure I want them knowing exactly where I am at any point in time.... some simple maths could be very revealing, if you get what I mean!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yus, I can see your concerns :D

Will certainly be interesting to hear about the CobraTrak - I'm a little wary of relying solely on a manufacturers solutions (because you can guarantee the thieves will know the system too) but I do like the idea of the remote shutdown.

I once got my Urquattro back after thieves ripped out the alarm, drove off, and ran out of petrol halfway round the block - there was a cut-out switch that allowed them a little fuel because it had been fitted incorrectly! If they're determined to take the car it's better they take it, so long as you can cut the power while they're sitting on a road in full view!

You must be counting down the minutes, let alone the days ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
CobraTrak isn't actually an Audi product, it's a third party approved system. There will be shortcuts around it though, it's a legal requirement!
Anyone who is determined to steal an R8 will, and probably know it's a got a tracing device fitted (because you won't get insured without it!), and will also know where to look for it. I'm not sure I'd want my R8 back after it had been hammered by joyriders anyway..!

I am indeed counting down, I'll probably work it out it to the nearest minute to waste some time on the plane to Oz!!

See you in Wheathampstead?

·
Registered
718 Posts
1. Cobratrak uses GPS and will tell the control room exactly where you are what direction you are going in and at what speed in real time. It works in Europe (system is GSM phone + GPS), and signals the control centre via SMS messaging.

If you cars gets stolen, the Cobra control centre guides the police cars to the exact position of your car (No need for special Trakker equipped police cars), via street names as well as co-ordinates. The control centre have large map screens showing the exact position of stolen vehicles.

I have personal experience of this system in use a few years ago. My car was stolen and quickly recovered by the police. Full marks. It worked very well indeed.

It you ever need to check the system, ring Cobra, give then your reg and password, they can "poll" the unit and tell you exactly where you are !

Secondly, a friend had his car stolen, and a full interogation of the system resulted in the full route of the (armed) thieves with times, dates, places being used in court to convict the gang.

I am not a lover of the much older Trakker system which is radio based, needs speially equipped police cars and does not work outside UK. Stick with a GPS unit.

2. Ignore the remote shutdown. It will NOT shut the car down whilst it's driving. All it does is disable the start motor, so it will not start again.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm glad I have CobraTrak then..... although others being able to know what speed I'm doing at any point is a little worrying! ;)

·
Registered
718 Posts
No, they don't !!!!

The data is stored in your Cobra unit. Cobra do not poll it unless requested. Or, if the car is started without the card, it sends a signal to Cobra, who then call you and activate tracking until they can verify it is accidental activation (or alert the police and feed continual updates if it is stolen).

The device sleeps most of the time, and has a vast storage capacity, but unless you specifically request a download (e.g. if you left the car at a garage and suspected they had been using it), then no-one tracks you or knows where you were.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Some good info on here.

My car arrives next week so am currently exploring all the tracing options as well.

I am assuming that this is CobraTrack5 that is being discussed on here. Cany anyone confirm this ?

Also does anyone know the price fully installed before I get trousered by the dealer ;)

Thanks

John

·
Registered
718 Posts
Correct.

Audi dealer prices vary. L3MAN had his supplied/fitted for under £1K. My dealer wanted £1600, so I had a local alarm fitter (whom I've used for years) fit it for just under £1K.

There is a great deal of work involved in fitting the unit and a lot of the interior needs to be removed to run the cables. Easy to damage, hard to repair, so you either want an Audi dealer to do it, or a fitter you know and trust.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Correct.

Audi dealer prices vary. L3MAN had his supplied/fitted for under £1K. My dealer wanted £1600, so I had a local alarm fitter (whom I've used for years) fit it for just under £1K.

There is a great deal of work involved in fitting the unit and a lot of the interior needs to be removed to run the cables. Easy to damage, hard to repair, so you either want an Audi dealer to do it, or a fitter you know and trust.
Twist your dealer;s arm for free fitting, after all they get list price for the car - which is in the region of 15k profit, I saw the internal invoice when I collected mine. I paid £650 + £200 for annual subscription. Yes it was Cobra Trak 5 fitted.

Also Audi are looking to fit Cobra Trak online at the factory, should be cheaper from the fitting point of view.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts