Audi R8 Forums banner

grill change?

7K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  supercoolsix 
#1 ·
Anybody done this themselves yet? Does the front bumper have to come off. I ordered a BO grill from Tag and just wondering what is involved in changing it.

#2 ·
Yes front bumper needs to be removed.

#4 ·
Also the stock grill has rivets holding it on too that must be cut. The front bumper has to come off.

#6 ·
I did it myself on my gen 1 but had the dealer do my new Gen 2 back in July when it came in. I talked to the tech that did it, he showed me the rivets he had to cut out on the stock grill, they are between the grill and bumper and there are 2 total (one on each side of the top). I don't think he replaced the rivets, pic below:

#8 ·
No problem, hope the picture helps! I had my whole car wrapped too, you won't regret it! I honestly would have done the grill myself but it was just easier and saved time to have it done at the dealer and my clear film installer did the whole wrap at the dealer so I didn't have to drive it unprotected :) Good luck!

#18 ·
I did this swap last night on my 17, it was not really bad. It was about 2 hrs start to finish. 20 min to get the bumper off and about 30 min to get it back on. The longest part was taking all the screws off the old grill, swapping sensors and reinstalling new grill, seemed like 50 screws...lol. I would recommend have a power driver because there is a large amount of torx screws to remove for the grill and the bumper. Actually alot easier than I anticipated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.