Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any R8 owners had any problems with ground clearance i.e. speed bumps or parking garage ramps as yet?

I wonder whether there is enough clearance at the front as it seem to be one of the lowest ( and longest) front overhang I have seen on a car as yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes

First day driving home I bottomed it on the uneven road near home, I went straight to my dealer put it up on the ramp to see what had hit, it has some plastic skid blocks either side at the front which it had scuffed,so no damage. Also I overheard the staff at Crawley mention one of the other cars sold was brought back in for a check as the owner caught the underneath attempting to drive up a steep driveway.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes

First day driving home I bottomed it on the uneven road near home, I went straight to my dealer put it up on the ramp to see what had hit, it has some plastic skid blocks either side at the front which it had scuffed,so no damage. Also I overheard the staff at Crawley mention one of the other cars sold was brought back in for a check as the owner caught the underneath attempting to drive up a steep driveway.
I was just posting about this in the test drive thread. I personally think its too low for our roads, especially with the long overhang and long wheelbase, especially for an 'everyday' sportscar.

It would be fine if it had the hydraulic lift option that i had on my lambo, negates any worries and looks awesome in the process!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes

This appears very worrisome...

Ive not seen the r8 in the flesh.... How does the clearance compare to AMV8, GT3 or Elise. These seem to enter the ramps in my office building fine...

Any owners out there with exact dimensions? much appreciated :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just posting about this in the test drive thread. I personally think its too low for our roads, especially with the long overhang and long wheelbase, especially for an 'everyday' sportscar.

It would be fine if it had the hydraulic lift option that i had on my lambo, negates any worries and looks awesome in the process!!
How does the hydraulic lift option work, could it be retrofitted?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Basically there is a button on the dash board that lifts the front end of the car by about an extra 6 inches. This could be activated at up to 50mph and dropped down automatically if you went over that speed, it was great for when you new where speed bumps etc were as you could activate it on route and then just zoom over them no probs :)

It was an approx £1500 Lambo option but could not be retrofitted, i think its very short sighted of Audi not to offer this when the problem is even worse on the R8 than the Gallardo due to the longer wheel base and front overhang.

There is going to be a hell of a lot of wincing going on in car parks around the country!

·
Registered
604 Posts
The first thing I did was check it on my drive. Close but ok.

I agree it should have a jacking system ala Lambo

·
Registered
126 Posts
The official ground clearance stated by Audi is 110mm from ground to the R8's lowest point.

The front of the R8's lowest point is the front bumper at 140mm,

The rear of the R8's lowest point is 110mm

The floor pan of the R8 sits at 130mm

There are strategically placed "scrape points" on the front and on the rear that sit...

Front = 120mm
Rear = 110mm

·
Registered
782 Posts
My R8 bottoms also, but mainly on bad roads with some short bumps in it. I do not have any problems with larger speedbumps. Very rarely the smaller ones.

The odd thing is that it bottoms when I do not expect it and mainly driving between 20 and 35 miles per hour (30 - 50 km/h).

I checked for damage, but couldn't find any.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The official ground clearance stated by Audi is 110mm from ground to the R8's lowest point.

The front of the R8's lowest point is the front bumper at 140mm,

The rear of the R8's lowest point is 110mm

The floor pan of the R8 sits at 130mm

There are strategically placed "scrape points" on the front and on the rear that sit...

Front = 120mm
Rear = 110mm
Is the plastic undertray below the front overhang designed to be a disposable/easily replaceble part?

My main concern is coming down ramps in car parks and those steep brick traffic bumps. I assume that the plastic undertray is designed to be a sacrifical part. Is there any danger of the R8 getting stuck?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good point. I will be worried about the underside of the front bumper. This will be the first contact point with steep ramps.
I honestly think you will need to steer clear of multistorey car parks. I could just get in them with the lambo with lifting kit up and someone watching. My guess would be no chance in the R8. :(

·
Registered
73 Posts
Guys having owned the R8 for 3 weeks now and having gone over lots of speed bumps ruff roads ect..You have nothing to worry about at all.

Scott

·
Registered
128 Posts
Won't be a problem for me; I've had 3 years of practicing with my 550 Maranello!
Trust me; nothing has a longer and lower front end than a 550!

james

·
Registered
274 Posts
have driven a vanquish several times- thats a long and low front end!
no matter how you take some driveways, it just scrapes (have tried everything)-
guessing that the r8 is a similar front end

would be nice to have a piece that could be fitted under the front lip to take the damage- easy to replace, unlike the front bumper of the car...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After a few days driving the R8 I am happy to report that I have had no problems in the places I was concerned about R8 ground clearance namely Multi-storey car park down ramps and high speedbumps. I just take it easy and the r8 glides over with no difficulty. I must admit I was very anxious about this and am now very relieved that I have had no problems at all.:) :) :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RMc

What about the width of the car when parking in multi-storeys etc?
No problems so far. I never park between cars if at all possible, always end bay, and never ever next to a car with child seats!, The car does feel a little wide I must admit. I have Rtronic which is I think excellent, however it is definitely trickier at very slow speeds in multi-storey car parks, especially as there is no creep mode. I foolishly did not get the parking sensors which in retrospect I think are essential for the R8. I find it difficult to judge where the front of the car is when parking as it has a very short front. The thing to watch is that the doors are enormous with insufficient gradations in the opening ratcheting (?) so beware of parking too close to another car - you may not get out easily.:eek:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Thanks for that. Yes I really struggled to get out of the car when i parked between two others, so much so that i wont be getting the bucket seats and I'm still fairly young and agile :cool: .

I agree about the parking sensors, might be worth seeing if the dealer can do a retro fit?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts