Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Later this year when my R8 (finally) arrives, I'll be parking in an area which has substantial speed bumps for entry and exit ramps. Anyone having problems with ground clearance? The bumps are high enough that a C5 corvette drags the undercarriage even at low speed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Interestingly enough, my friend has a '07 Corvette and I just got my R8 a month ago. The Corvette drags its front spoiler on his driveway where the R8 doesn't scrape anything!

The secret is to take things VERY slowly and use a 45 degree approach and departure angle over the troughs.

A photo of the 2 cars side by side in his driveway is here:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562467668rgkLgC

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had the same concerns when I first picked up my R8. No problems so far other than with few down ramps in multi-storey car parks - occasionally you will hear a scrape on the sacrificial plastic downstand under the nose of the car. I tend to take these quite slowly as a result. In short do not worry too much - just don't go too fast.

·
Registered
156 Posts
definitely taking it at an angle helps....the trick is to try to make the wheels hit the bump before your front end does. and i think the c5 has a longer length from front end to front wheel than the r8

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have had no problems and we have some ridiculous speed bumps where i live. I had the exhaust on my previous RS4 scraping on speed bumps, that the R8 clears no problem. Amazing eh?? :eek:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not a good week for my motor a Nasty Speed Bump took a duct from under car !!! i honestly had a SLEEPLESS night thinking it would cost a fortune ....i was pleasantly surprised when audi told me it would only be £8.90 and they fitted it for free.

Also i had a slow puncture on the rear drivers side.... so i stuck a newone on and i'll repair and keep the old one maybe for the track .

·
Registered
604 Posts
So when you go whizzing round the track at break neck speed will you be thinking "hope the tyres ok - hope the tyres ok - hope the tyres ok"

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've had very little problems in the scraping department. I too owned a Vette (C5) that made noise over minor bumps. The R8 is a very supple vehicle.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So when you go whizzing round the track at break neck speed will you be thinking "hope the tyres ok - hope the tyres ok - hope the tyres ok"
Cheers for that, now thats exactly wot i'll be thinking.

Today i went in a multistory carpark 1st-time(clueless you'll know it parkplaza in cardiff) no problem whats so ever.
I was dreading it, becuse it is to low for my liverpool office carpark.

iamClueless? Have the welsh not seen an R8 ? it was a circus everywhere i went .

·
Registered
381 Posts
Cheers for that, now thats exactly wot i'll be thinking.

Today i went in a multistory carpark 1st-time(clueless you'll know it parkplaza in cardiff) no problem whats so ever.
I was dreading it, becuse it is to low for my liverpool office carpark.

iamClueless? Have the welsh not seen an R8 ? it was a circus everywhere i went .
I used to live in Cardiff. I had a TT Roadster back in 2001, when they were still in the first flush of youth. It was a rare sight in Wales, I can tell you!

They still point at planes in places relatively close to civilisation...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I used to live in Cardiff. I had a TT Roadster back in 2001, when they were still in the first flush of youth. It was a rare sight in Wales, I can tell you!

They still point at planes in places relatively close to civilisation...
your are not the only one to say that

no comment ;-)

·
Registered
482 Posts
any news on whether or not the '09s would have the electronic lift like the Lamborghinis?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had no problems with clearance. There are times when I enter a driveway or something and I don't angle the car enough to get the wheels there first and you hear the plastic drag a little, but thats about it. I'm in Austin, TX which has pretty bad roads downtown full of pot holes and I have no problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Ground clearance is generally less of an issue for R8s than it is for, say, Ferraris and Lamborghinis. I wouldn't worry about it.

And no, there's no lift system on the R8.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My R8 has more ground clearance than my TTRS, Boxster Spyder. or GTR. I love higher riding sports cars. So much more convenient.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Interestingly, I just traded in my C63 for a R8 and I have yet to scrape my R8, yet my C63 I would in the same exact spots. I think it has to do with how the wheels lie on the R8 vs the C in that more lip hangs out on the C...not sure though. Anyhow, I have been pleasantly surprised.

I currently drive a C-class, looking to buy an R8 within 1-3 months. According to online specs it has ~4 inches of ground clearance. Interestingly enough according to those online specs the Audi also has ~4 inches clearance!

http://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz/c-class/2013/features-specs.html
http://www.autoevolution.com/engine/audi-r8-gt-2010-52-v10-fsi-560-hp.html

Also on 09R8's question - do we have electronic lift?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts