Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to install a GT style front lip on my 2014 R8. The videos on YouTube show it simply sliding overtop the small OEM one. This one is tight and does not slide all the way over my OEM lip. I tried to sand it a little no luck. Do you all think 1. The lip is defective and is not going to work, due to not shaped properly or 2. Do I need to remove the OEM lip all together?

Thank you in advance

·
Vendor
1,424 Posts
That is certainly not a GT style front lip. Looks very different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
It won't hold in place right if you remove the oem lip. The bolts are only on the edges as it assumes the oem front lip is holding the middle section up... It looks like a JSK front lip and I had one on my car for a bit...but with my GT shocks, the lip was too low and in about 4 months a some scrapes, the lip cracked and I took it off....

With a rubber mallet try tapping it onto the oem lip.. it fit fine on mine after I did that.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It won't hold in place right if you remove the oem lip. The bolts are only on the edges as it assumes the oem front lip is holding the middle section up... It looks like a JSK front lip and I had one on my car for a bit...but with my GT shocks, the lip was too low and in about 4 months a some scrapes, the lip cracked and I took it off....

With a rubber mallet try tapping it onto the oem lip.. it fit fine on mine after I did that.....
Awesome thank you. My brother is stopping by this weekend. We will give it a shot.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Awesome thank you. My brother is stopping by this weekend. We will give it a shot.
If I remember correctly, the 2 mounting holes that are on the sides of your spoiler should line up directly with the OEM bolts that are under the bumper..so you shouldn't have to make new holes in your existing bumper....

So if the spoiler is far enough back that the 2 mounting holes line up at the edges of the bumper, you should be good to go...I remember on mine on one side it totally covered the OEM lip...and on the other it left maybe 1/4" of the lip exposed....so I guess all I'm saying is that with all this aftermarket stuff, you can't expect a perfect fit!!!

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
As R8-Stuff said it's not a GT and it's not a JSK GT style either as there's no tabs for bolting it in place using original mounting points.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
JSK GT STYLE

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'll be honest with you guys If I cant get it on with a perfectly flush fit? Its going in the trash. It looks good, seems to be made well. But lack of fitment is unacceptable. I have dremel'd quite a bit of material from the inside the front lip and believe with a second set of hands and a rubber mallet I can make it work. But I advise everyone to stay away from this product. I got ripped off.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Good luck, hope you can get it to fit properly ( the JSK GT spoiler I bought fitted perfectly).

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've seen that lip installed and it looks really nice. I, on the other hand, am a little more lax on fitment. So if it doesn't fit your car to your standards, I'll give you a hundo for it instead of you trashing it. lol

·
Registered
332 Posts
or I can trade you my Maxston front lip, which i have sitting around in my garage, never got around to installing. it's just not Carbon fiber.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
or I can trade you my Maxston front lip, which i have sitting around in my garage, never got around to installing. it's just not Carbon fiber.
I'll defiantly let you know. Let me see what happens this week end

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd just mount it up (assuming you'll get it pretty close so the sides match) as you are not adding any new "holes" in the bumper to attach....it does look pretty cool when its on but like the Maxton spoilers, it sits flush (bottom) all the way around so at the front corners its pretty darn low, and the unlike the Maxton, it has really no give....

So eventually you're gonna scrape it up/crack it and then throw it away and get something else!!! ha!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well, my brother and I tackled this issue. We both grew up working in my dad's body shop so we had a good Idea of what we where dealing with. We had to use the Dremel to remove a lot of material from the lip in various places. It took 3 of us to pull it in place and drive the 4 factory screws. We RTV'd it in place on the underside and RTV'd the screws. It turned out perfect! But I still advise folks not to waste their money. I got lucky. I bought this used and it cost $560 shipped.
ey.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, my brother and I tackled this issue. We both grew up working in my dad's body shop so we had a good Idea of what we where dealing with. We had to use the Dremel to remove a lot of material from the lip in various places. It took 3 of us to pul it in place and drive the screws. We RTV'd it in place and RTV'd the screws. It turned out perfect! View attachment 247343 View attachment 247344 View attachment 247345 View attachment 247346 View attachment 247347
Looks great! Congratz! (And watch out for speed bumps) ??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts