Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Doesn't pull either way

Votes: 15 88.2%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Really simple test, I just want a quick poll to see if anyone else can feel what I'm feeling.

My R8 centre filed a 'DISS' report with Audi, and the answer has come back that my car is behaving 'normally', and this is the usual way which a mid-engined, predominantly RWD car will behave. Not only do I disagree, but my R8 centre took a delivery-miles car out of the showroom to test it, and got a different result.

The test is very easy... get yourself on a straightish road, going a reasonable speed - probably 60-80mph in 4th, if I recall - so mid-revs. First, check (for yourself) that the car is tracking correctly - keep neutral throttle with a steady foot, and loosen any grip on the steering wheel. Car should continue to travel in an absolute straight line. Mine does so, impeccably.

The main test is then, with your loose grip (as it is easier to feel) begin to accelerate. You don't need to mash the pedal to the floor - just a good stab, and simply 'feel' what happens to the car. Then take your foot back off the gas completely, and 'feel' what happens again.

I don't want to put words into your head, but the sensation I get - when I stab the throttle, the car drifts/pulls to the right. As soon as I back off the throttle, it drifts/pulls back to the centre again. A fast gear change, therefore, (where obviously you are accelerating hard, then are totally off the throttle, then back on it again) the car feels like it jumps out of line, then straight back again, which is most unnerving.

What I'm trying to find out is, is this a 'characteristic' of the car...

PS - can you also post your mileage too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hope it's not my car there testing :eek:

i'll pop into northampton tomorrow and test your car to see if it's doing the same ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just voted. Mine's on 6158 miles right now.

On aa totally different line of thought. Has yours got Mag Ride? I remember some people with MkII TT's had problems with what was described as a "corkscrewing" effect under acceleration.

I hope they get to the bottom of it Jampott.

Cheers.

Paul.

·
Registered
617 Posts
No problem for me either, just made a run along a couple of junctions on the A10.

Hope that techs find a solution to your problem, sorry their problem.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks folks - keep 'em coming.

Can you also update to let me know whether you have magnetic ride or not?

·
Registered
274 Posts
do you have a good auto performance shop nearby?
might be worth checking the alignment, just to be sure thats not the cause
(shouldnt be on a new car, but one that has so much human input in the production could possibly suffer from slight misalignment)

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Is right the expected direction of pull in the R8 from torque steer? Is the awd system in the R8 based on the Haldex technology (as in the TT)?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Torque steer is a red herring only a max of 30% goes to the front and only when the rears are losing grip.

For all intents and purposes it is more of a rear wheel drive car. Anyway we would all notice it on a day to day drive unless you are driving it like it very gently. I will have to try that ....

I have Mag Ride but set to comfy bum mode

·
Registered
71 Posts
"Car not driving right", "can u test your cars for me".

My hood (bonnet) does not open evenly when I pull the lever. Can you go and open your bonnet....please report...do both sides open at the same time? What was the lbs. per square ft. at the time of the pull, was the sun out, full moon, what day of the week? I'm contacting Audi America to check........

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Torque steer is a red herring only a max of 30% goes to the front and only when the rears are losing grip.

For all intents and purposes it is more of a rear wheel drive car. Anyway we would all notice it on a day to day drive unless you are driving it like it very gently. I will have to try that ....

I have Mag Ride but set to comfy bum mode
I cannot speak from any experience with the R8, but people better informed than I in the engineering physics of automotive drivelines have said that anytime a car puts driving power to the steering wheels, it POTENTIALLY can have torque steer. I have no doubt that the R8's excellent design NORMALLY mitigates this problem when power is sent to the front wheels(though 30% of it's considerable torque is not nothing). My point in bringing this up was in connection with a possible mal-function of the power distribution system which might allow some subtle torque steer to come through.

Both the awd drive cars I have pull LEFT on torque steer (an A6 with the Torsen quattro system which rarely can be provoked to show torque steer and a Volvo V70R which shows torque steer only if you turn off the "DSTC" which includes yaw control.) But my point was, if "right" is the wrong direction, then certainly you can eliminate engine torque as the source of the problem.

If "right" is the correct dirction, then it would seem engine torque MIGHT be at the bottom of the problem. That is why I asked the second question about what type of awd sytem the R8 has. If it is a Haldex system (like the TT and I believe some of the other smaller Audis), then that is a possible source of the gentlemans complaint I should think.

PS: just read the latest posts on jampott's other thread about so far coming up empty at the service dept., and I see someone else suggested "torque steer".
This possibility should not be ingnored. Not that the car SHOULD exhibit torque steer under ordinary situations, but one must remember (if this IS a Haldex system at least--no one's answered me on that) that these cars behave the way the do NOT wholly via the grace of "mechanical" design, but by the active intervention of electronic processors which get their data via numerous sensors (wheel speed sensor, yaw sensors, wheel angle sensors and god knows what other sensors!).

Malfunctions in this stuff is NOT unknown or even unlikely, and if you want some proof (and you R8 guys don't feel you're "slumming";) )go to the "swedespeed 'R'" forum and search on topics such as torque steer, bump steer, "hop" and suspension related issues. The Volvo R was one of the first mid-priced production cars to implement total electronic management of handling, traction, etc. and had issues like this a LOT in the first few years. Software upgrades have addressed most of them by now, but there MIGHT be a parallel here, even though I freely acknowledge there is more difference than similarity in the vehicles. If the R8 has a Torsen system, then forget I brought this up.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"Car not driving right", "can u test your cars for me".

My hood (bonnet) does not open evenly when I pull the lever. Can you go and open your bonnet....please report...do both sides open at the same time? What was the lbs. per square ft. at the time of the pull, was the sun out, full moon, what day of the week? I'm contacting Audi America to check........
That's not very helpful, thanks.

My point is, I'm being told that the 'pull' is characteristic of the car. Ergo everyone's should be doing it, to a certain degree, irrespective of road conditions etc. The poll is to check whether or not that is the case, in real life.

If you don't want to check your car and help me out, go start a thread about your hood not opening. Sorry if this thread wasn't important enough for you to take seriously - but a problem with my £86k car is important to me, especially if I stand a good chance of Audi trying to fob me off with a "we can't find anything, so there can't be a problem" sort of answer.

To everyone else who has responded, many thanks.

BTW, the R8 drivetrain shares nothing (I think) with the TT. I don't even think it bears a resemblence to the torsen quattro of my last Audi (B6 S4).

The S5 I'm driving is perfectly capable of accelerating in a straight line, although it is front engined, and Audi try to tell me it is the combination of RWD bias and mid-engine which is responsible.

Incidentally, the delivery mile car which the dealer tested apparently pulled to the left...

I previously drove a Nissan 350z with a remarkably agricultural drivetrain, which had a definite 'shunt' when changing gear, and when banging the throttle. It was definitely a quirk of the car... however, the car was NOT prone to sideways movement, and it was something you could get used to.

The R8, until I experienced this issue, was wonderfully balanced - a word used a lot by the motoring press about the car. For me, this problem can (at just the wrong times) completely ruin any sense of balance the car has. It is likely to be only a small problem, but one which ultimately means I trust the car far less than I did with only 100 miles on the clock. That's really disappointing.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Mate, I feel for ya. When I feel like somethings wrong with my car it annoys the crap out of me!! I'll test my car tonight on the Highway and let ya know...

Everyone should be encouraged to test their cars as accurately as possible and share experience/feedback. Hopefully this forum will become a Strong Knowledge base for all to reference!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tried it tonight mate. 4th Gear, about 100-140km/h. Stabbed the throttle hard. Didn't pull either way. Sorry! :(
Don't be sorry! That's exactly what I want to hear. Audi are reading this thread and hopefully taking note, and nobody has yet been able to reproduce symptoms which my car exhibits.

Trust me, that's a good thing. It means there's more chance of a problem with my car (which is what I want to be the case) and much less chance that it is 'normal behaviour'.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just as an aside, came home from work this evening, the roads were wet/greasy and would ideal for exhibiting any "torque steer" characteristics. Tried on a number of occasions on dual carriageways and A road at differing speeds/gears from 30 mph in 2nd to 70+mph in 4th to get any pull in either direction. Nothing but excellent drive to the straight ahead at all times.
Got M.R and R-Tronic on mine if not already aware.
Cheers.
Paul.

·
Registered
183 Posts
As for the hood, yes, I have had this problem since I got the car back from Europe. (I did European delivery)... now I have to push it twice. Once for the drivers side latch, I then have to get out, pull the hood up and then, push the hood switch gain which disengages the right side latch. It's an adjustment that I can make on my own... which, when I remember to do so I will.

·
Registered
178 Posts
2000 miles, No pulling. I have mag ride but prefer to keep it on soft due to the apalling state of our roads these days. I hope they sort you out mate. Could it be a rear diff problem do you think??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts