Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the H&R performance springs with the magnetic shocks??Have you been happy?? Labor time expected to install???:

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
VERY good question , and I think MTrucker? has.:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had mine installed at the 15K mile service.

Even with MT's advise on the install, my dealer took a fairly labor intensive 6 hours to do it. I took Mother's advise and will follow up with the alignment in 600-800 miles to let the springs settle in. There is a noticeable difference in the drop, specially in the rear.

The ride is noticeably stiffer but not in an obtrusive way. In the sport setting, It's absolutely fantastic! I pushed it for the first time pretty hard today in the company of two identical f430 scuds on a spirited drive out in West Marin. At speeds sometimes reaching 130 with quite a few turns, the car felt incredibly stable. I did notice that the body movement of the R8 felt very similar to the visual movements of the f430's (stiff and tight).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info... I am going to get mine installed next month with the EVOMS intake and Stasis exhaust. I figure by doing all at once I may save some of the labor costs...
The advice about letting the springs settle before alignment is interesting...No one told me that previously...

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Yes, I agree with 08R8's obsevations. Noticable but not excessive increase in stiffness in everyday driving, and a big improvement in handling during performance driving. It makes it much crisper and flatter during abrupt steering changes at speed.

And it really contributes to the low agressive look of the car. I've not experiencerd any tire rub in the wheel wells either.

That and a nice sporty exhaust are the best upgrades you can do overall IMO.

One thing you may want to consider before upgrading your engine software if you ever decide to ("chipping" it) is the potential to void your warranty. My Audi service manager said if they detect you have modified the ECU software, it would void the warranty on the entire power train! That could be way expensive down the road, so I didn't do it for that reason. Shouldn't be any problem with the new intake though.

mt

·
Registered
96 Posts
Got together this morning with Sam who brought out his gorgeous silver/carbon R8. It's funny, but after seeing the two cars together, it's not hard to feel these are two of the most beautiful cars on the planet! He's got the Stasis exhaust which sounds absolutely incredible. I followed him through town and it's just awesome.

Seeing the two cars side by side was a nice way to confirm the ride height of the new H&R springs. It's a noticeable difference and it makes the R8 even look wider, specially from the rear.

Enjoy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts