Audi R8 Forums banner

H&R Springs

8K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  MotherTucker 
#1 ·
I installed H&R's R8 Sport Spring package on my R8, with great results. Front lowered by 0.7 in (vs claim of 0.6 in) and rear by 1.25 in (as claimed). The car not only looks alot more aggressive, but also handles more crisply, especially on turn in. Despite being lower, the short front overhang has not lead to the car bottoming out or scraping over rough roads or speed bumps. I am now playing around with alignment specs to perfect the package. Has anyone else had experience with the H&R springs?

#6 ·
I did the H&R spring upgrade. It is very nice, the lowering is quite noticable. But to me an even bigger change is the added stiffness of the springs. It is very noticably stiffer, more of a racecar type feel. Not as stiff as a full racing suspension, but I noticed the change before I even left the dealer's lot where I got them installed.

The technician had to call H&R to find out the details of how to remove the springs from the stock strut assembly, that info is not presented in the service manual.

All in all, a very good upgrade.

#8 · (Edited)
I did ask the technician what he did. This may be enough to guide someone through it.

After removing the shock/spring assembly from the car, compress the spring using a standard McPherson strut type spring compression tool. Then there is a somewhat hidden C clip on the lower retaining cup. Remove that, and then turn "it" when removing the lower retaining cup and then the spring. I'm not sure what "it" is exactly, but you could probably figure it out if you get that far.

Also, up above bz888 was asking about alignment afterward. Lowering changes the toe-in and also allows you to tweak another -.25 degrees of camber on the front if you are going for a track / max performance alignment. That's what I aimed for. We maxed out the negative camber on the front wheels (ending at -1.5 to -1.75 degrees, there were differences between the 2 alignment rigs we used). We set the toe-in to +.1 degree total front toe-in and +.36 degree total rear toe-in, split evenly left to right.

P.S. One other thing - the car is now so low that my racing jack no longer fits under it :cool:. It's one of those inexpensive aluminum racing jacks. I have to drive it up on boards before I jack it up now. Oh well, life in the fast lane...

mt

#10 ·
looks like H&R springs for me. Anyone know of any good dealers with experience on the R8 in the Bay Area? If not, I guess the Audi dealer would work right?

#12 ·
Here's why I can't get the jack under the car now. The lifting arm of the jack would crush the rocker panel. It worked before I did the H&R spring upgrade. Now I drive it up on 2x12 boards first.

Griot's Garage sells a low profile jack that would work even with a car this low. gigharbor1 said he has it. It works, right?

mt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.