Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Audi V10 Plus
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my Exhaust install had an unforeseen roadblock I figure if I was going to do lowering springs now is a better time then not. I am seeing H&R used a lot more on this forum vs KW. KW is more expensive, but curious is anyone has an opinion on H&R ($995 - 23005-1 ) vs KW ($1,259 - 253100AN ) is recommended or if there is another brand/kit to consider? I have Magnetic Ride on my 2017 V10 Plus. Lastly, does anyone know if you need to load balance post install or get a wheel alignment?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I went with the H&R due to the spring having a lower height adjustment. Haven't received them yet and as I patiently wait for delivery, I sourced the special tool, T40177 for removal of Magride top cap. The tool clamps on the shock piston so that the top cap can be removed.
I plan on setting the spring height to where I want using ego and old school tap measure, then a full wheel alignment and corner balance done to make sure height is dialed in correctly.
I've also made contact with a local (Australian) programmer that apparently "resets" the magride after changing springs and set height. He claims that you will get a better ride with the reset.

·
Registered
2017 R8 V10 Plus | Suzuka Gray on Red | ESS Supercharger | Fabspeed Exhaust | XPel Stealth PPF
67 Posts
The 2017 v10 plus had magride available? I thought it was fixed-only for the plus? Sorry, don't mean to derail the thread.

·
Registered
2017 R8 V10 Plus | Suzuka Gray on Red | ESS Supercharger | Fabspeed Exhaust | XPel Stealth PPF
67 Posts
Mine's a non-plus model but I have seen magride as an option for the plus.
Budd311, the OP, mentioned his was a plus model with mag ride. And it seems he is in the US. Maybe I have been living under a rock but I had no idea magride was an option on plus models in the US.

·
Registered
2017 Audi V10 Plus
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Budd311, the OP, mentioned his was a plus model with mag ride. And it seems he is in the US. Maybe I have been living under a rock but I had no idea magride was an option on plus models in the US.
I am in the Atlanta GA, BUT I bought my car from a dealership (KEARNS - who was amazing) that is near the Canadian border- so my R8 was actually from Canada, which I believe was unique in the Mage Ride as well as Laser headlights, neither of which was an option on 2017 V10 Plus models for USA versions

·
Registered
182 Posts
most of my cars run H&R springs based on just a quality standpoint and there warranty never had a spring break or a fitment issue with them run them on my car and my daily love the way it rides just abit stiff for the common folk

·
Registered
2017 Audi V10 Plus
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
most of my cars run H&R springs based on just a quality standpoint and there warranty never had a spring break or a fitment issue with them run them on my car and my daily love the way it rides just abit stiff for the common folk
KW gave me some concern in that the rep I spoke to suggested I consider the $7K full coilover kit because with the mage ride with aftermarket lowered springs will eventually cause failure since they are set from the factory at a certain height and lowering the car throws this off resulting in the factory shock to fail. Brands aside, have you ever had or heard of these issues?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Of course fitting a lower spring onto the magride shocks will reduce their life. It will also reduce the spring travel distance, changing the geometry (not for the better mind you). Best bet would be to fit proper springs & shocks or do coils.

Reactions: Budd311

·
Registered
2017 Audi V10 Plus
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of course fitting a lower spring onto the magride shocks will reduce their life. It will also reduce the spring travel distance, changing the geometry (not for the better mind you). Best bet would be to fit proper springs & shocks or do coils.
The more I dig into this, the less appealing it becomes. I am a "spirited" driver. Most of my 14,000 miles are in the north GA mountains and soon to be on track days at Road Atlanta. Having Mag Ride means I need to delete with full set-up, but I am finding out that that electronic deletes tend to overheat and fail on aggressive driving as heat accumulates. While I love the aesthetics of a tighter wheelbase, I think the potential of opening Pandora's box, I just stay with factory.

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,010 Posts
H&R Adjustable Springs here...no issues and love the ride height I've set it to. You will not lose the Magride with this setup...you only lose Magride with the full coilover setup...

Reactions: Budd311 and R8_Ryan

·
Registered
182 Posts
KW gave me some concern in that the rep I spoke to suggested I consider the $7K full coilover kit because with the mage ride with aftermarket lowered springs will eventually cause failure since they are set from the factory at a certain height and lowering the car throws this off resulting in the factory shock to fail. Brands aside, have you ever had or heard of these issues?
no need to do full coil overs the only reason however i did springs and not coil overs was for the fact all 4 shocks were done on my car before purchase once one of these go for my purpose as i do lots of canyon driving / mild track days is coil overs and no none of the issues you have described its just a spring at the end of the day yes your screwing around with the geometry but it would not result in a shorter shock life only if your banging the car on every pot hole you find and are bottoming it out.. 400 dollars for a set of springs vs a couple thousand for coil overs to me its a no brainer unless its needed also ur resell rate on OEM springs is nuts since they dont sell OEM springs from factory unless you buy a whole shock

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2017 + (with mag ride) is going in tomorrow for Eibach springs and geo. Eibach were recommended over H&R by a few of the top geo guys in UK...not sure why, had H&R in past and they were fine. Fitting new Vossen wheels also, 20/21 staggered setup.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I track mine (17 v10+) in Advanced/Expert and its on the H&R VTF spring setup slammed so I can promise you I'm not gentle on them... I have had zero issues with the suspension and it has been through many track days. Whole lot of suspension pros in here I see 🧐 :LOL:. You wont have any problems with the h&r and with those you will be able to adjust that car EXACTLY where you want it. I was surprised on the install how quick and easy they were. Intakes in the rear were a bit of a pain getting the shock by it (ended up removing the intake tubes). Overall very happy with them.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Ryannnn, you don’t have mag rides though, different story with longevity. You have the better passive setup!

Reactions: Budd311

·
Registered
2017 Audi V10 Plus
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 2017 + (with mag ride) is going in tomorrow for Eibach springs and geo. Eibach were recommended over H&R by a few of the top geo guys in UK...not sure why, had H&R in past and they were fine. Fitting new Vossen wheels also, 20/21 staggered setup.
Interesting on the Eibach.I will add to research list Apologies for the ignorance what is geo?

·
Registered
2017 Audi V10 Plus
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ryannnn, you don’t have mag rides though, different story with longevity. You have the better passive setup!
Yo are correct = That is my main concern - was hoping I could find a Gen 2 owner who has Mag ride and just did lowering springs.

·
Registered
2017 Audi V10 Plus
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I track mine (17 v10+) in Advanced/Expert and its on the H&R VTF spring setup slammed so I can promise you I'm not gentle on them... I have had zero issues with the suspension and it has been through many track days. Whole lot of suspension pros in here I see 🧐 :LOL:. You wont have any problems with the h&r and with those you will be able to adjust that car EXACTLY where you want it. I was surprised on the install how quick and easy they were. Intakes in the rear were a bit of a pain getting the shock by it (ended up removing the intake tubes). Overall very happy with them.
Confirmin you do not have Mag ride or you do? Thx!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Confirmin you do not have Mag ride or you do? Thx!
my bad landed here on another comment and replied to that. Didn't realize you specifically were talking mag only. Mine will be up for sale this winter when it gets track suspension if you want non mag 😂

1 - 20 of 32 Posts