Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to an area with quite a bit of snow and I'm quite pleased at the performance of my A8 with snow tires.

I expect that there will be very little of the tires of my R8 left after I complete a competition driving course in January so I'm kind of intrigued by the possibility of putting a set of winter tires on it and driving it on the snow.

Has anyone actually done this ?

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I have done such a thing. In Idaho, we have about 6 months of possible snow.

Pirelli Winter 240 SottoZero Series II Front (235/35R19) and Back (295/35R19). These are from Tirerack.com but will not come up on a web search. Audi dealer in Utah was able to access a tirerack site and find the tires. Mounted on stock Audi R8 Rims with TPMS program. They didn't know of any other winter/snow tires available in the States for the R8.

We had a good couple of snows so far one with about an inch of ice. I have driven the R8 in 1 to 6 inches of snow so far in temps as low as 3 deg F.

I have to say that I am impressed. It handles very well and as good as my SUV's with winter/snow tires. Some slippage on the ice (as every car was doing) but the AWD/ESP really seems to be responsive and correct the car. Downshifting slide is minimal if you are smart about it. Think you will get looks and cell phone pictures in the R8 in good weather, wait until you bring it out in a snowstorm.

The downsides are the rusty Dodge pickup that is spinning towards you and I know there will be a clearance issue as the snow piles up. Backup camera becomes useless quickly.

I bought this car to be a year round daily driver. I am willing to put up with the rock hits and possible damage. So far very impressed. A supercar that works in the snow - Now that's fun!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have done such a thing. In Idaho, we have about 6 months of possible snow.

Pirelli Winter 240 SottoZero Series II Front (235/35R19) and Back (295/35R19). These are from Tirerack.com but will not come up on a web search. Audi dealer in Utah was able to access a tirerack site and find the tires. Mounted on stock Audi R8 Rims with TPMS program. They didn't know of any other winter/snow tires available in the States for the R8.

We had a good couple of snows so far one with about an inch of ice. I have driven the R8 in 1 to 6 inches of snow so far in temps as low as 3 deg F.

I have to say that I am impressed. It handles very well and as good as my SUV's with winter/snow tires. Some slippage on the ice (as every car was doing) but the AWD/ESP really seems to be responsive and correct the car. Downshifting slide is minimal if you are smart about it. Think you will get looks and cell phone pictures in the R8 in good weather, wait until you bring it out in a snowstorm.

The downsides are the rusty Dodge pickup that is spinning towards you and I know there will be a clearance issue as the snow piles up. Backup camera becomes useless quickly.

I bought this car to be a year round daily driver. I am willing to put up with the rock hits and possible damage. So far very impressed. A supercar that works in the snow - Now that's fun!!

In in upstate NY and its winter for sure. Mine is coming in 21 days. The plan is to put in the garage until the spring. With the salt, sand and muck... I could not live with myself. All Wheel Drive and a low center of gravity and right tires, its should be fantastic in the snow. I dont think id have the nerve. Youre a better man than I

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
No salt in Idaho. They do sand with little lava rocks that are bad when the melt hits in the spring.

Your right about the center of gravity. It was weird at first because you are so low and I am more at home up in the air in a truck or SUV in the snow. Really it works for you. Hard to spin the car and easy to correct when you force the back end loose.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
711 Posts
With wrong tyres its a mess. I got caught by surprise 3 weeks ago on ungritted roads and fresh snow. Slowest thing on the country road. £87k disaster zone.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Toecutter, congrats on making the most use of your car. I drove it once in a slushy environment and was pleasantly surprised at the handling and confidence this car inspired. With good winter tires I don't see why not, I see people drive their Porsches in the winter all the time here.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
This is a copy of a post I made before but the topic was kind of stale so I don't think many saw it. Forgive if this is a repeat for you, but this series of Motor Trend videos is a very nice picture of the R8 as a snow country car...they crossed the Pacific Crest divide something like 12 times on their way up the coast. Got into some real snow at Crater Lake!

I think the R8 is likely pretty capable in winter conditions, but of course the risk of damage to your baby is greater. Motor Trend ran a very interesting series of videos of an R8 "cruise" following the Pacific Crest Trail (as closely as possible by road) and crossing the Sierra/Cascade divide over a dozen times in early spring conditions. They saw a lot of snow coming down and really got into some snow driving several times. The best sequence is at Crater Lake Natl. Park. And this on summer tires!! A "sport-utility" with emphasis on the SPORT! Check it out (videos parts 1--4 on this & next page)
http://www.motortrend.com/search/vid...&SearchSource=

(comment: mtn. pass & snow driving in R8 is in "Mexico to Canada", parts 1--4; part 2 is on second pg.!)

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
In MN this week someone took possession of their new R8. They had their tires changed to winter tires as the R8 was their "winter beater". Allegedly he owns a $500K MB and a $1MM Maclaren. Yikes I never thought of my R8 as a "winter beater."

·
Registered
190 Posts
In MN this week someone took possession of their new R8. They had their tires changed to winter tires as the R8 was their "winter beater". Allegedly he owns a $500K MB and a $1MM Maclaren. Yikes I never thought of my R8 as a "winter beater."
The R8 as your "winter beater". I s'pose with an SLR in the garage, the R8 is the foul weather choice. Must be nice

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
What winter tires ?

What are the options for winter tires ?

I have 18" wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Below is what Maplewood Audi put on a new R8.
The Pirelli were 295-30-19 in the rear and 235-35-19 in the front (both are the O.E. size) model Pirelli winter 240.

A complete wheel and tire package included Dunlop 235-40-18 winter sport M3 for the front and 285-35-18 winter sport M3 in the rear.

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Looks like the Dunlops are just a bit narrower in the rear than the OEM size. There is an issue cutting through slush and deeper snow with the 295s. I have noticed it a couple of times in my driving. It has been controllable but definitely noticeable. I don't know if the small decrease in profile from the Pirellis to Dunlops would make any difference.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I got my R8 in the middle of the winter here in Europe. As you probably know, one of worst years in the last 50 ones ;) R8 performed just fine!
Tires were Pirelli Winter 240 SottoZero in V (240km/h max, had to set an alarm not to go over it for longer periods).

Edit: oops, sorry for digging up such an old thread! Sorry.

·
Registered
960 Posts
nice pics, i have also driven my r8 home from work with up to an inch or two of snow a few times already and no real issues as well. just had to be careful about other drivers. haha

1 - 20 of 24 Posts