Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a quality racing seat to fit the R8?

The stock R8 seats are quite beautiful, but they leave much to be desired when one drives the R8 on a hi speed twisting race track. I also feel the same about the R8's metal bracket shifter plate on the R8's manual transmission. It seems that Audi wanted to copy a part of the legendary Ferrari design in this? And maybe this was the wrong part to copy!!? :)... It will probably be awhile before we get a good alternative to replace the difficult gear shift plate, but I am hoping that someone has maybe found a good solution for some quality racing seats that can be switched back with the original stock seats, without too much trouble. IE.. Able to use the Audi stock seat tracks... ( Like Porsche and its GT3 seats)

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Mozza, thanks for the tip. Do you know where you saw these seats in a R8?

Ah, I found the info. These are Audi RS4 option seats that were used in the R8 concept car. I will check and see if the seat's track rails are the same. Then I'm good to go! :D

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mozza, did you order these seats ias OEM with the R8, or add them later? I'm wondering if U know about the installation, and if the tracks are the same for both seats. Thank man. Your a great help.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Audi calls them Bucket Seats. They are not available in the USA because they don't have side airbags. They can be bought aftermarket, but they are expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thnx guys. Yes I found them.

Sport Seats - Q4P
$13,250.00
For the ultimate is seating comfort and vehicle control, the factory Q4P package seats are the perfect blend of OEM aesthetics and Recaro driving control.

Each set of seats is covered in supple black nappa leather and includes manual fore/aft, electronic verticle adjustments and lumbar bladders for an optimal seating position.
http://oempl.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=60_62&products_id=665

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
The last we heard about bucket seats for track use was a couple of years ago. I'd like to hear from you guys about your more recent experience.

Bodhii, did you end up getting the Audi Bucket Seats (Recaro), or did you find a good alternative? I'm guessing you don't street your R8 much, but I'd be interested in any comments about whether you feel they would be too inconvenient for street use. There were quite a few complaints about the Audi Bucket Seats here www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1279 and here www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2377. I'm on the "wide" side, so am concerned about the range of sizes they will fit.

If using a seat without side airbags in a US-spec car, how difficult is it to disable the airbag warnings? If anyone has done this, please post the programming code here, and/or over in the VAG-COM Diagnostic thread: www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2716

If any of you have installed anything other than the stock seats or the Audi Bucket Seats, I'd love to know what you used and how it has worked out.

Thanks in advance!:)

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
The PPI Design car from Texas that was run at Brainard International Raceway October of 2009 had racing bucket seats. I did not get pictures of the seats. I looked at their website and could NOT find them listed. I know the Recaro seats were featured in a concept R8. I contacted Recaro directly and they said they were available, but bring lots of money.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know PPI fitted the Porsche GT2 bucket seats with side airbags in the Razor car. Not sure if they are direct fit of if the brackets had to be custom made. I've driven a 997 Turbo with these seats and they are very comfortable and supportive. Very basic fore and aft sliders.

Hope this helps.
Edwin

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The Audi R 8 optional seat is exceptional, and with alcantara inserts the best. The stock seat with alcantara inserts should do me fine. Desparado, are 4 point seat belts legal on the street? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The stock seats are really nice.What is needed with race seats would be a roll bar,onto which ,proper seat harness could be attatched. I wouldn't want to lose any of the air bags. Racing seat belts are a real problem on the R 8, a car that is supposed to be track ready. The Schroth racing department told me this. :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mozza
Wondered if you could shed some light for me.
I have a R8 2008 model and would like to buy
the bucket seats similar/same as yours.
I am in Melbourne, Australia
Can you tell me where you purchased these from or
put me on to someone please?
Also are you able to advise the VIN nbr of your car
and/or the year?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts