Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking for awhile, and feel like I have not watched the market long enough or learned enough to be buying yet. Sorry to have my first post this way.

But I can't shake this car, 2009 Ice Metallic, 6 speed, 26K miles, carbon interior and engine bay, stereo and nav. All the right options and what I think is a fair price, $75K. It's at a dealer and was brought in from Canada, all original and looks to be 1 owner. Is at Audi for a PPI which can't happen until mid next week and dealer is pushing me hard to jump or move on. I'll deal with them and will not commit without positive PPI from Audi.

My biggest issue is the Carfax, attached, it does not show former number of owners?

At a reputable dealer with many higher priced cars new and used on the lot, good Google reviews, but the whole Canada thing... And maybe should be waiting to buy from an enthusiast, but the car looks so good.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe 2014 SQ5
379 Posts
Patience is your friend. What for the PPI.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Father always reminded me "Don't get in a hurry.." but then he would also say "You make things happen.." this paradox has always caused me distress. I move fast, but your advice is sound. I can not do anything without the PPI.

·
Premium Member
2015 Audi R8 V10 Plus
70 Posts
My Father always reminded me "Don't get in a hurry.." but then he would also say "You make things happen.." this paradox has always caused me distress. I move fast, but your advice is sound. I can not do anything without the PPI.
When you are in a hurry, you are not in control, as opposed to when you are making things happen.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have been lurking for awhile, and feel like I have not watched the market long enough or learned enough to be buying yet. Sorry to have my first post this way.

But I can't shake this car, 2009 Ice Metallic, 6 speed, 26K miles, carbon interior and engine bay, stereo and nav. All the right options and what I think is a fair price, $75K. It's at a dealer and was brought in from Canada, all original and looks to be 1 owner. Is at Audi for a PPI which can't happen until mid next week and dealer is pushing me hard to jump or move on. I'll deal with them and will not commit without positive PPI from Audi.

My biggest issue is the Carfax, attached, it does not show former number of owners?

At a reputable dealer with many higher priced cars new and used on the lot, good Google reviews, but the whole Canada thing... And maybe should be waiting to buy from an enthusiast, but the car looks so good.
You should inquire with Audi of Indy if the Fidelity Warranty covers cars that have been imported from other countries. If it doesn't....don't bother with that car.

- Travis

·
Registered
211 Posts
I know in Ontario Canada, all sales must have something called a UVIP (Used Vehicle Information Package). All you need is the VIN and the DMV will give you a complete history of the cars ownership including salvage information. Anyone can ask for one at anytime for about $20.00 and you do not need to be the owner. Other provinces probably have the same. Give them a ring or send me the VIN and I will go get you one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go with your gut feeling. I would wait to be honest unless it was a 2014-15 V10 plus with a manual.
That would be the dream, but that ship has sailed. This is my first time, and I am sticking to under $100K in my driveway with plates.

When you are in a hurry, you are not in control, as opposed to when you are making things happen.
Thank you, I will remember that

You should inquire with Audi of Indy if the Fidelity Warranty covers cars that have been imported from other countries. If it doesn't....don't bother with that car.

- Travis
Great point, I had not even considered, worth checking into. Thanks!

I know in Ontario Canada, all sales must have something called a UVIP (Used Vehicle Information Package). All you need is the VIN and the DMV will give you a complete history of the cars ownership including salvage information. Anyone can ask for one at anytime for about $20.00 and you do not need to be the owner. Other provinces probably have the same. Give them a ring or send me the VIN and I will go get you one.
If serious what a gracious offer. I did find UVIP and noticed you need a CAN ID to place the order.. If we get closer and things become serious I will circle back. Thank you

·
Registered
211 Posts
Isadore,

I can stop by the DMV most any weekday so PM me anytime. I can scan and email the same day and then mail it afterwards.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am a Ontario resident that works at a car dealer i have contacted my buddy that works at audi and there are no service records of the car being serviced at any dealers other then its first oil change so thats something

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Isadore,

I can stop by the DMV most any weekday so PM me anytime. I can scan and email the same day and then mail it afterwards.
You guys are great, I'll keep in touch!

I am a Ontario resident that works at a car dealer i have contacted my buddy that works at audi and there are no service records of the car being serviced at any dealers other then its first oil change so thats something
Per the VIN?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes per the vin
LOL, there is always that guy, I hid the VIN you detective... I bought, and have run 3 cars that had just too many owners. That Canadian Carfax is not like any I have seen. Is it a full, or somehow redacted report by the dealer?

·
Registered
54 Posts
LOL, there is always that guy, I hid the VIN you detective... I bought, and have run 3 cars that had just too many owners. That Canadian Carfax is not like any I have seen. Is it a full, or somehow redacted report by the dealer?
well no that's my other problem it isn't right you see Canadian car fax is never like that especially in Ontario and is never laid out like you have there

In ontario the car fax will be red like this

IN BC It will be blue

theres quite a few flags that are also raised there

We used to have in ontario emission tests for cars older then 5 years old its not listed there as we got rid of them in 2019 so there should still be some record of them being done also the millage listed seems to be off on what you provided as it came in for example with 249 millage but reported to have 409 KM?? also in 2015 with 19262 and is reported with 31000 KM Is this a US car fax? then again i dont think they would report from miles to KM

·
Registered
54 Posts
Also another thing is that anywhere that works on the car and takes down the vin and attached to any work order will show up on the car fax. Such as dealer servicing or even if you visit a jiffy lube it will all show up as mentioned the fact that the emissions test arnt showing up at that there isn’t any locations besides the DMV is huge even my local Canadian tire can do E tests or jiffy lubes so something is up here

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I need to sit down... Not the experience I am after and too many questions. Even it cost $10K more, buying from an enthusiast is going to be my path.

This place is great and I will keep learning.

In my price range V8 manual, or S-tronic V-10 should be realistic if patient, and I want the experience as much as the car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I need to sit down... Not the experience I am after and too many questions. Even it cost $10K more, buying from an enthusiast is going to be my path.

This place is great and I will keep learning.

In my price range V8 manual, or S-tronic V-10 should be realistic if patient, and I want the experience as much as the car.
Patience is a virtue not even buying from an enthusiast but it’s always good to ask the right questions with anything the more research you do in a big investment like this the better

·
Registered
134 Posts
All good advice above. And view all of it as education to find the right car.

Have you seen this car in the for sale section? Sounds like what you're after in the right price range. Looks like a nice car, and it's had a recent price drop:

Also, keep an eye on Bring a Trailer. Even if not the venu you want due to rapid transactions and less ability to think it through, you'll get a feel for the market: The best vintage and classic cars for sale online | Bring a Trailer

·
Registered
384 Posts
That would be the dream, but that ship has sailed. This is my first time, and I am sticking to under $100K in my driveway with plates.

Thank you, I will remember that

Great point, I had not even considered, worth checking into. Thanks!

If serious what a gracious offer. I did find UVIP and noticed you need a CAN ID to place the order.. If we get closer and things become serious I will circle back. Thank you
What I meant is I wouldn't jump on the R8 you are looking at. 09 v8 manuals are still a dime a dozen..or close to it. Facelifted manual V10 pluses are rare and you want to jump on those as fast as you can. Good luck on your search and if 100k is you limit, there are a few V8 manuals to be found in that price range.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts