Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I hate when there is no update, I waited.. took a breath and went on vacation with the family, 4 young ones care not about an Audi. I think my budget has increased to $99K, time offers perspective. I have been watching like a hawk, but am not in a rush. Nothing has caught my eye since.

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe 2014 SQ5
378 Posts
Patience is your friend. Wait for the right one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Manual V8 for me. Interesting debate though - is the engine or transmission more important? When both engines in the R8 are as good as they are, I'd argue the transmission wins.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think the Gen 1 gated V8 has a special spot in automotive history that is just starting to be appreciated. If you're just after straight line rush, there's a lot out there that will give you that. For an amazingly balanced and engaging experience backed by a special spot in Audi's history and as a standout amongst it's peers, the gated V8 is pretty sweet. I'd also add that once in the twisties, the V8 has enough power it's pretty rare to be needing more or being able to use more, at least on the street. It's not exactly a slow car. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have now driven a R-Tronic V-10 Gen 1. The car frankly was shite, so the experience was lacking, but I did not hate the transmission in either mode. The auto mode obviously is terribly slow, I need to research what tuning will do. Manual mode was fine, and I enjoyed the downshifts, but it might get old slapping those paddles.

I think a Gen 1 V8 manual will appreciate better than a Gen 1 V10 R-Tronic, though the car is not an investment for me, it's a keeper.

My wife needs to be able to drive the car, that's a requirement. She wants the manual.

I have old muscle cars that have a manual and they belong there. My holdup is a "supercar" should have a flappy paddle gearbox with instantaneous downshifts, the sound alone is worth the price of admission. Also, this assures my wife can drive in Auto mode and handle the car without distraction.

My current options with my $100K budget seem to be Gen 1 V10 auto, Gen 1 V8 Manual, (or 2014/2015 V8 S-Tronic?).

Lastly for those still reading, and with all due respect, I was surprised how slow the Gen 1 V10 R-Tronic was. Slow enough I wonder if I should only focus on a V-8 even a 2014 or 2015, because that car was not fast enough to warrant the cost.

·
Registered
88 Posts
V8 S tronic would be awesome. I'm glad I didn't have that choice in 2012 when I bought mine. It would have been hard for me to decide.

If your wife wants a no fuss experience, V8 S tronic hands down. The manual V8 in my experience requires quick shifting most of the time with the close gearing and lightweight flywheel. Great for spirited driving but a little less than ideal for just cruising around. I think a V8 S tronic would be plenty of fun.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have you driven a gated V8 yet? Sounds like you and your wife need to drive both configurations and figure out what will give you more smiles per miles and what is your driving goal. I've never driven the R-tronic, so I can't comment on it, but I will say the gated V8 is immersive, and my use is targeted to twisty country roads where I go out for a couple hours of driving entertainment. I'm not in a dense urban area pushing out through afternoon traffic to go to the club for dinner. Completely different scenarios that might result in a different choice. Bottom line is it's an R8 - you can't go too far wrong, but if you don't care about potential investment, depreciation etc., figure out your use scenario and drive them both. I will toss this out though. You're at a cars and coffee and meeting some new car guys. You introduce yourself and say, "I have a ------ R8." Which one feels right deep down inside?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have you driven a gated V8 yet? Sounds like you and your wife need to drive both configurations and figure out what will give you more smiles per miles and what is your driving goal. I've never driven the R-tronic, so I can't comment on it, but I will say the gated V8 is immersive, and my use is targeted to twisty country roads where I go out for a couple hours of driving entertainment. I'm not in a dense urban area pushing out through afternoon traffic to go to the club for dinner. Completely different scenarios that might result in a different choice. Bottom line is it's an R8 - you can't go too far wrong, but if you don't care about potential investment, depreciation etc., figure out your use scenario and drive them both. I will toss this out though. You're at a cars and coffee and meeting some new car guys. You introduce yourself and say, "I have a ------ R8." Which one feels right deep down inside?
As it is now he’ll be driving mine on the 15th. Still can’t believe I’m seriously considering letting it go.

- Travis

21 - 30 of 30 Posts