Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d finally had enough of the terrible OEM Audi head unit (even with the B&O ‘upgrade’) so given I am housebound because of Covid19 I decided now was as as good a time as any.
I did my research (thanks to lots of you guys on here) & eventually found a link to Reece at RTA Car Audio who turned out to be a life saver – not only does he supply the correct RHD replacement facia panel & an installation kit but he also offers a complete plug & play loom service, he swiftly answered ALL of my inane questions & provided a before & after service that I must say was incredibly professional & friendly at all times. I could not recommend him enough – he normally does the installs himself but given he is 300 miles from me & we can’t travel just now he agreed to send me all I needed & help by telephone if I needed it - you can see what he can provide here:-

RTA Car Audio

In my case after I had purchased the head unit – A Pioneer AVH-Z9200 DAB (I wanted wireless Apple CarPlay) I shipped the Pioneer loom to Reece & he added it to his own loom to create a fully plug & play loom & had it shipped back to me within 48 hours.

That kit enabled me to change the head units over easily whilst retaining steering wheel controls, OEM reversing camera & gaining DAB+ radio, DVD, SD, two USB ports & obviously control of my phone from the car (Waze, Spotify, YouTube etc etc) via the head unit, using Siri or the steering wheel controls.

Now whilst I have rebuilt a few mechanical things in my time (a Ducati Senna being the highlight) my electrical skills always fall short of the mark so to have someone do the difficult wiring stuff meant the install was then a breeze.

Saying that from how it looked originally:-

And then seeing the new loom stuff to go in -

To how it looked during the install did make me slightly nervous:-

The 9 page installation guide that came with the kit is incredibly detailed covering trim removal, the install itself as well as even guidance on where to hide the excess wiring that always seems to accumulate with stereo swaps!

Now whilst I often enjoy driving the old girl windows down, exhaust valves open & just hearing the V8 the opportunity here in Scotland to do that without getting wet & cold is fairly rare so now when I want to listen to something else I can, excellent clarity, much better tone & sound quality that should have been in the car from the start.

Only facia left to go on:-

Wiring tucked away under glovebox:-

And all finished:-

Even have an R8 opening screen!!:-

I would highly recommend the swap, RTA Car Audio & as a great way to spend a day or two if you can’t leave home & get out & enjoy your R8 just now!

Stay safe all & thanks once again for all the help from folks on here with everything R8.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Looks good. Nice to have a complete solution. How long did it take and do you retain voice control functions for the car/phonebook etc. Is there any options for the blanking plate below the head unit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good. Nice to have a complete solution. How long did it take and do you retain voice control functions for the car/phonebook etc. Is there any options for the blanking plate below the head unit.
From start to finish (I did it over 3 days to try to make the self-isolation easier?) it took me about 6 hours in total. I spent time carefully removing & refitting trim, tidying up the wiring, making sure the DAB aerial was as neat as poss etc.

Voice control works with Siri perfectly & can message etc via voice now as well. Haven't seen any options for space below head unit but I think it looks fairly factory just smoothed off anyway.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice job! Thanks for sharing. Does the rear camera work with this unit?

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, yes the OEM camera works perfectly, new head unit links directly to camera (missing out module behing seats) and displays a better picture than using the standard head unit - the 'parking lines' don't move but can be adjusted to show exact width of car which helps.

Obviously the parking sensors still work perfectly too as they are on a different system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did something similar, but I used Enfig Car Stereo in NJ. Had him do the install as well while I watched because, despite having worked years in car audio, I still have anxiety popping off panels on cars especially supercars.

My kit looks a bit different than yours. Thankfully with the Enfig kit, there is no cutting the car with his new brackets.

Install looked clean as heck. Backup camera works. All sensors work on the screen. My Pioneer 8500 reads OBD2 data and shows RPMs, speed, IAT, etc.

Easily the best option.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I did something similar, but I used Enfig Car Stereo in NJ. Had him do the install as well while I watched because, despite having worked years in car audio, I still have anxiety popping off panels on cars especially supercars.

My kit looks a bit different than yours. Thankfully with the Enfig kit, there is no cutting the car with his new brackets.

Install looked clean as heck. Backup camera works. All sensors work on the screen. My Pioneer 8500 reads OBD2 data and shows RPMs, speed, IAT, etc.

Easily the best option.

View attachment 250048
How’s the audio quality compared to the stock head unit?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Easily the best option.

View attachment 250048
That looks great too, no cutting whatsoever with the RTA kit either, straight swap back to stock if required.

I'd considered the OBD2 on the new screen too but I've got a working speedometer & revcounter & really not that interested in Intake temperatures etc as I don't currently track this car.

Is that a fabric dash top you have, never seen that here - maybe a US only option?

·
Registered
26 Posts

Easily the best option.

View attachment 250048
Looks Great!
do you have an itemized list of everything that was used in the install?
I'd like to do this and preserve all sensor views, camera view, sat radio etc with no cutting!
thanks!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks Great!
do you have an itemized list of everything that was used in the install?
I'd like to do this and preserve all sensor views, camera view, sat radio etc with no cutting!
thanks!!!
If you contact Christian at Enfig (do it by email or by phone) he can give you the full parts list. He basically has the whole kit and everything you need to get it working.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That looks great too, no cutting whatsoever with the RTA kit either, straight swap back to stock if required.

I'd considered the OBD2 on the new screen too but I've got a working speedometer & revcounter & really not that interested in Intake temperatures etc as I don't currently track this car.

Is that a fabric dash top you have, never seen that here - maybe a US only option?
OBD2 is really cool but dont get me wrong, I dont use it. Its useful for clearing codes if you arent near your house and thats really it.

Fabric dash? I think its fabric I'm not sure? Seems to be kind of a soft touch material.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OBD2 is really cool but dont get me wrong, I dont use it. Its useful for clearing codes if you arent near your house and thats really it.

Fabric dash? I think its fabric I'm not sure? Seems to be kind of a soft touch material.
It looks great - far better than the faux 'leather' which seems to be on all VAG stuff from the A1 up.

What link kit did you use for the OBD2 or did your head unit come with it as standard - mine does not:confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great write up! I’m booked into see Reece at RTA after seeing his YouTube videos. Getting the pioneer apple car play like yours. How did you get the R8 screen saver or was that a file you uploaded to the pioneer?

I’d finally had enough of the terrible OEM Audi head unit (even with the B&O ‘upgrade’) so given I am housebound because of Covid19 I decided now was as as good a time as any.
I did my research (thanks to lots of you guys on here) & eventually found a link to Reece at RTA Car Audio who turned out to be a life saver – not only does he supply the correct RHD replacement facia panel & an installation kit but he also offers a complete plug & play loom service, he swiftly answered ALL of my inane questions & provided a before & after service that I must say was incredibly professional & friendly at all times. I could not recommend him enough – he normally does the installs himself but given he is 300 miles from me & we can’t travel just now he agreed to send me all I needed & help by telephone if I needed it - you can see what he can provide here:-

RTA Car Audio

In my case after I had purchased the head unit – A Pioneer AVH-Z9200 DAB (I wanted wireless Apple CarPlay) I shipped the Pioneer loom to Reece & he added it to his own loom to create a fully plug & play loom & had it shipped back to me within 48 hours.

That kit enabled me to change the head units over easily whilst retaining steering wheel controls, OEM reversing camera & gaining DAB+ radio, DVD, SD, two USB ports & obviously control of my phone from the car (Waze, Spotify, YouTube etc etc) via the head unit, using Siri or the steering wheel controls.

Now whilst I have rebuilt a few mechanical things in my time (a Ducati Senna being the highlight) my electrical skills always fall short of the mark so to have someone do the difficult wiring stuff meant the install was then a breeze.

View attachment 249701

View attachment 249707

View attachment 249702

The 9 page installation guide that came with the kit is incredibly detailed covering trim removal, the install itself as well as even guidance on where to hide the excess wiring that always seems to accumulate with stereo swaps!

Now whilst I often enjoy driving the old girl windows down, exhaust valves open & just hearing the V8 the opportunity here in Scotland to do that without getting wet & cold is fairly rare so now when I want to listen to something else I can, excellent clarity, much better tone & sound quality that should have been in the car from the start.

View attachment 249703

View attachment 249704

View attachment 249705

View attachment 249706

I would highly recommend the swap, RTA Car Audio & as a great way to spend a day or two if you can’t leave home & get out & enjoy your R8 just now!

Stay safe all & thanks once again for all the help from folks on here with everything R8.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great right up! I’m booked into see Reece at RTA after seeing his YouTube videos. Getting the pioneer apple car play like yours. How did you get the R8 screen saver or was that a file you uploaded to the pioneer?
I'm sure you will love the upgrade & Reece is excellent to deal with.

The R8 screen saver my brother created the file for me from a google image which I just put on an SD card & uploaded to the head unit. Easy once you know how even for me!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Seems like the RTA is the answer for RHD cars and Enfig only do LHD.
I made my own which is very similar just using the front of the standard headunit and making it into a clean surround.
Added a flocked pocket to give it an OEM look, was a lot more work than the other options though
I also went for the pioneer sph130dab as it has no buttons so looks like an OEM screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seems like the RTA is the answer for RHD cars and Enfig only do LHD.
I made my own which is very similar just using the front of the standard headunit and making it into a clean surround.
Added a flocked pocket to give it an OEM look, was a lot more work than the other options though

I also went for the pioneer sph130dab as it has no buttons so looks like an OEM screen.
That looks excellent well done. My only issue was I totally lack the talent required to produce such a piece hence RTA came to my rescue!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
That looks excellent well done. My only issue was I totally lack the talent required to produce such a piece hence RTA came to my rescue!!
. The RTA one is neat and I was tempted at one point but Lockdown boredom made doing it myself an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everybody,

I‘m new to this forum and so I appologize for starting out with a question right away.

I also have the z9200 in my R8. But I can‘t get the OEM rear view cam to work. And my steering wheel controls do prompt actions on the head unit, but not the desired ones. Do you have any suggestions what I might do to solve this?

thank you in advance.

RTA Car Audio

View attachment 249701

View attachment 249707

View attachment 249702

View attachment 249703

View attachment 249704

View attachment 249705

View attachment 249706

1 - 20 of 22 Posts