Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw that the air filters have a very thin cloth wrap cover(very easy to remove) that accumulate too much dirt, and my guess is that is not helping the car breathing well.
Anybody saw that and remove it?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Just see my pics in this gallery to see firsthand the benefits of better filters.If the outside blanket is done then your filters are probably done too. Remember,ALL intake air to engine is drawn/forced ,through side blade ducts. I clean gravel out of my airbox after dirty runs.Someone out there probably has put sweeper drains w/plugs in bottoms of air box to make cleaning easier than vacuuming. The stock filters on the R8 are WEAK to say the least. Too bad you can't just easily replace the filter element /cartridge as the filter has a complex mounting flange. My new metal flanges were the expensive parts.you can then mount any filter brand you wish.I think the P.P.I. peices I had to purchase are designed/constructed waay better than the stock Audi parts.Sorry to start Raggin' on Audi practically all the time. I am just used to building my own stuff.And when I see cheap/practical solutions I go for it. And if you want to save hundreds you may be able to adapt the right size pvc tubing to fit filters onto stock flanges !!!!!! I purchased my filters at the P.P.I. store in Stuttgart and carried them home in my luggage.Talk about instant gratification!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
It is true, the Audi filters look cheap, and accumulate a lot of dirt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts