Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to disable rear wing best way possible.I have a few ideas...Disconnect wire at center console button,or unplug wires from wing motor.( which is covered ). I don't think cooling will be affected with wing always down as fully vented already. I already have PLENTY of down force from the giant PPI wing installed. Just an experiment and will revert back if not a beneficial move. (but having two wings going at speed does seem weak-sauce to me). :)

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Wires at the motor is your best bet I'd think. With the wing deploying automatically at speed, disabling the button probably wouldn't do anything. I'm sure you could also secure it by VAG-COM if you could find the wing parameter section and found someone who would lend you a VAG-COM reader

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Too late ...mission accomplished. Can still raise wing quickly whenever neccessary. Am wingless now till veh.is all detailed up. Must resist temptation to go blast canyon untill wing re-attatched. Pretty complicated ordeal , but keeps my skills sharpened. Yes both wings had to be removed to gain access to wires that go to spoiler motor. Had to loosen motor as well. Now spoiler in down position and won't go up unless I want to wave to people.You can wave with the mirrors too !! :) :D :cool: Thanks smoothy.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just blasted the canyons with spoiler disconnected and PPI wing removed. With just front PPI spoilers and it impressed me with a flawless run.R8s are good in ANY config.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We would think so...Things work in conjunction as I read in the book that if the wing is disabled ASR/ESP may not disengage properly. Safety upon saftey features. Nevertheless a simple flick of a switch and everything is back to normal. I did hit the ESP swith and held it down to turn both off...Display showed correctly. I need to verify, still, whether there are any problems in that area...So , some fuses controll several things at the same fuse.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the wing deploys at 66 Mph then 66 Mph is where things start to happen.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If the wing deploys at 66 Mph then 66 Mph is where things start to happen.
based on what? that tiny wing at 66mph will be doing nothing. go push on the rear of your car and see how far you can compress it. you think a little wind and that wing can provide much if any downward push? look at the wing on the R8 GT3 to understand how large it has to be to do anything. and if the rear wing did have any signinicant downforce it would need a front lip to balance the car. the flat underbody does more than the tiny wing and even that is practically nothing.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I must admit...A canyon run with no rear down force produced one of my quickest runs. I can't explain it. I guess those wings just slow you down.Stick your hand out your window at 150 MPH. Carefull, you may dislocate your elbo. :) You haven't clicked on the link below ? Seen gallery under harrison ? I have added front down force. The bigger the wing the more down force at slower speeds too like in a hard 50 MPH turn. Good Idea pushing down on rear.I will compare stiffness in MAGNETIC setting compared to Mag.off. Thanks Sonny the bull. Video is called Running of the Bull , 'cuz it was made at Turnbull Canyon. I can agree with you.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bodhii mentioned that there could be a cooling issue with spoiler down. Will keep eye on temps.

·
Administrator
6,229 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts

·
Administrator
6,229 Posts
that looks nice! Can it be taken off during maintenance so the tech isn't leaning on it while working in the engine compartment or is it held on with 3m tape?
Was told it can be bolted on or with tape. I really like the look it adds to the car when the spoiler is down

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Nice alternative for the ANTI WINGERS !!!!!!!! What a difference in price though . It does look great DOWN. I haven't noticed any problems with my systems since disabling rear spoler...Temps all same except outside temp read 135 degrees F. While in HEAVY traffic in 101 degree F weather. Outside temp corrected itself slowly after traffic started moving again. This part of O.C. in Cali. freeway system is commonly referred to as the " ORANGE CRUSH !!" I think some other Exotic brands might have shut down some of their systems in such a hostile environment. Example ...Gallardos with exhaust heat affecting transmissions.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
based on what? that tiny wing at 66mph will be doing nothing. go push on the rear of your car and see how far you can compress it. you think a little wind and that wing can provide much if any downward push? look at the wing on the R8 GT3 to understand how large it has to be to do anything. and if the rear wing did have any signinicant downforce it would need a front lip to balance the car. the flat underbody does more than the tiny wing and even that is practically nothing.
This statement is purely my humble opinion...I definitely could be wrong...but I think your're onto something there and the last part of your statement about the underbody is quite true and negates the first part! Let me explain my theory:

I think the whole R8 body, upper contours, belly pan, NACA intakes on the bottom and rear air exit diffusers is a big (down pushing or upside down) wing or airfoil adding downforce to the whole car, esp. at the rear. We've all read statements about the R8 design that claim as much.

Now, I don't think the R8's little "pop-up wing" is a "wing" at all, in the full sense of the word but rather a "spoiler". A "spoiler", properly termed, is laminar flow disturber, like the "stall fences" you see on the wings of STOL and other aircraft, to purposely break up laminar flow (thus preventing sudden separation with violent "stall" events"), or the "lift spoilers" that pop up on the wings of Boeings (and other planes, but Boeing has always been big on parasitic lift modifiers).

A spoiler on a car is to break up the (usual) UP lift (caused by low pressure of compressed laminar flow over the TOP of the car/wing created by most car bodies at high speed (ie: keep them from acting like an UP lifting wing).
A typical "spoiler" appendage being the turned up lip at the back of some cars.

Then there's "wings", seen so much on race cars (eg: the Porsche GT cars) that are true DOWN lifting wings to push the back of the car down at speed.
And, clearly, the R8's little device is pretty puny for that job.

But what I think the R8's pop up airfoil is for is to enhance turbulent flow on the high pressure side of the DOWN lifting airfoil of the WHOLE BODY.
Remember, an airfoil develops lift by causing lower air pressure on the compressed, laminar flow side and higher air pressure on the turbulent side.

Using the ground as the companion surface (like a bi-plane!), a car bottom (properly shaped) has the perfect "slot" to develop low pressure laminar flow.
What the top needs to do is act poperly as the "underside" of the "wing" and have higher pressure, turbulent flow and, voila', DOWNFORCE!.

So, I don't think that little thing is meant to be a "wing" in it's own right at all! I think it's truly meant to be a spoiler to cancel any UP lift from the shape of the top of the car. And, just like the lift spoilers you see pop up on the wing of your Boeing airliner just about the time they hit the brakes and reverse thrust to shorten your landing roll (downforce helps on the runway too!), they work just fine while being "puny" compared to the size of the main airfoil. Just MHO.

PS: somewhere I remember reading about the guy who built a race car with a ground effect skirt (like a hovercraft) and a fan that SUCKED air out from under the car. The effect what HUGE downforce, even a low speed since airfoils weren't involved. As I recall, this race car had UNBELIEVABLE grip and rounded corners, even at slow speed, at incredible "g" side forces. As I recall, every race sanctioning body in the world banned this device, but it was a great idea. Anyone else recall ever hearing about that?

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Bodhii mentioned that there could be a cooling issue with spoiler down. Will keep eye on temps.
That suspicion would be based on the fact that the airpressure above the car would be lower (or less high) without the wing-spoiler than with it (as per my long winded opinion above).

But my study of the R8 tech diagrams suggests all cooling air is admitted at the front (clearly a high pressure area), sides (via the "blade" ducts") and bottom (via the "NACA" ducts which are designed to admit air without spoiling the low pressure laminar flow needed to create the negative pressure beneath the car.
http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/gallery3.php?mode=view&album=/Audi/R8/Technical&pic=063.jpg&start=&dispsize=600
http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/gallery3.php?mode=view&album=/Audi/R8/Technical&pic=071.jpg&start=&dispsize=600

·
Administrator
6,229 Posts
This statement is purely my humble opinion...I definitely could be wrong...but I think your're onto something there and the last part of your statement about the underbody is quite true and negates the first part! Let me explain my theory:

I think the whole R8 body, upper contours, belly pan, NACA intakes on the bottom and rear air exit diffusers is a big (down pushing or upside down) wing or airfoil adding downforce to the whole car, esp. at the rear. We've all read statements about the R8 design that claim as much.

Now, I don't think the R8's little "pop-up wing" is a "wing" at all, in the full sense of the word but rather a "spoiler". A "spoiler", properly termed, is laminar flow disturber, like the "stall fences" you see on the wings of STOL and other aircraft, to purposely break up laminar flow (thus preventing sudden separation with violent "stall" events"), or the "lift spoilers" that pop up on the wings of Boeings (and other planes, but Boeing has always been big on parasitic lift modifiers).

A spoiler on a car is to break up the (usual) UP lift (caused by low pressure of compressed laminar flow over the TOP of the car/wing created by most car bodies at high speed (ie: keep them from acting like an UP lifting wing).

Then there's "wings", seen so much on race cars (eg: the Porsche GT cars) that are true DOWN lifting wings to push the back of the car down at speed.

But what I think the R8's pop up airfoil is for is to enhance turbulent flow on the high pressure side of the DOWN lifting airfoil of the WHOLE BODY.
Remember, an airfoil develops lift by causing lower air pressure on the compressed, laminar flow side and higher air pressure on the turbulent side.

Using the ground as the companion surface (like a bi-plane!), a car bottom (properly shaped) has the perfect "slot" to develop low pressure laminar flow.
What the top needs to do is act poperly as the "underside" of the "wing" and have higher pressure, turbulent flow and, voila', DOWNFORCE!.

So, I don't think that little thing is meant to be a "wing" in it's own right at all! I think it's truly meant to be a spoiler to cancel any UP lift from the shape of the top of the car. And, just like the lift spoilers you see pop up on the wing of your Boeing airliner just about the time they hit the brakes and reverse thrust to shorten your landing roll (downforce helps on the runway too!), they work just fine while being "puny" compared to the size of the main airfoil. Just MHO.

PS: somewhere I remember reading about the guy who built a race car with a ground effect skirt (like a hovercraft) and a fan that SUCKED air out from under the car. The effect what HUGE downforce, even a low speed since airfoils weren't involved. As I recall, this race car had UNBELIEVABLE grip and rounded corners, even at slow speed, at incredible "g" side forces. As I recall, every race sanctioning body in the world banned this device, but it was a great idea. Anyone else recall ever hearing about that?

I Just felt huge downforce pressure on my head as this post zoomed right over it.:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts

The 'guy' in question was the F1 Brabham team run by a much younger Bernie Ecclestone. I seem to remember it won the Swedish Grand Prix and because it was so quick it was banned. An additional consideration at the time was safety as the car had a bloody huge fan at the back and it blasted everything out the back at any following car....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts