Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently removed the rear bumper cover on my 4.2L Spyder to find that the plastic reinforcement located on the inside of the bumper cover were cracked causing the exhaust tip to be loose (part # 470 802 320 CGRU). See photo attached. The reinforcement is pop riveted to the cover and are to what the exhaust tips are bolted. The cracked one is the passenger side. To my dismay, I have discovered that Audi no longer sells the plastic part separate from the bumper cover, meaning that they want me to buy and paint a complete bumper cover for about $1500 to replace the $50 plastic reinforcement! I have been scouring the internet, worldwide to find the part, or a damaged bumper cover to remove the part I need. So far I have only found after market refurbished covers in the $500-750 range. Does anyone have either a damaged rear bumper cover they want to sell, or have an idea to avoid this outrageous expense.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
Just to clarify - Audi has never sold this part separately.

There are many instances where you will see a reference stamped on part - however, it will not be listed in the parts catalogue and is an internal Audi ref only.

The only way to find one is to take one from another bumper...sorry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really sux. If you guys come across a damaged bumper cover, let me know. I need the passenger side reinforment.

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
Really sux. If you guys come across a damaged bumper cover, let me know. I need the passenger side reinforment.
After shipping, would probably not be much cheaper than the $700 or so that you have already been quoted.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
3m panel bond (Part # 3m 8115) and some reinforcement mesh (drywall tape style) will fix it right up and not break. In the body shop industry, its a pretty normal fix. Had to repair my rear cover reinforcement as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thx for the tip. I found a cover locally, w/ the reinforce intact. $225, I lucked out.

3m panel bond (Part # 3m 8115) and some reinforcement mesh (drywall tape style) will fix it right up and not break. In the body shop industry, its a pretty normal fix. Had to repair my rear cover reinforcement as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts