Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short I am having no end of problems with my roof (won't work)

The flaps on the rear deck were removed to allow the car to be wrapped and since then the roof won't go up nor down, I am pretty handy with a spanner and have played about with vag com etc but just can't suss it.

The rear flaps move but the roof won't go up and the rear deck won't go down, I have placed it in various positions manually and still no joy.

Is anyone familiar with the spyder roof?

I'm pretty sure it's all out of sync and dosent know where it's sitting so won't operate.

Any help would be amazing.

Bradley

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I would flatbed it back to the dealer to have them reset it.

Failing that....Ctrl+Alt+Del

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should have said, my main dealer said they don't know and cost wise could run into crazy money (me paying for them not knowing)

I am a qualified Mechanic and won't let main delaer charge me a fortune if its something I can do myself if someone has had the same problem.

I have elsawin and it dosent help with any info, either does vcds or vas-pc.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
A real long shot but is it anything to do with the roofs speed sensor safety feature.

I know when I exceeded 50kmh the roof just stayed in the position where it was whilst opening or closing until I dropped below that speed..and then it continued.

Don't know the schematics of switches or circuits on it..but?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It may well be, the roof does move, for example if I manually close it (long crazy process) and then put it down it will go down and tuck away, it just won't go back up or drop the rear deck.

It's been in so many positions now I'm sure it's just out of sync and doesn't know where it's sitting so won't move, it's just how to get it back into sync that I'm struggling with.

No documentation shows how either.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
You would think that there would be a factory reset or base line for fitment etc....but I guess that would be too easy.

Have you got the dealer to contact Germany for a solution?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What ultimately was the cause? I am having the same problem. My top is in the exact same position as yours. After you fixed it did it ever happen again?

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
This is always something in the back of my mind i.e./ stuck roof especially if you run into a rainstorm!!
I see there is a manual procedure in the R8 manual but as previously mentioned its seems like a long and complex procedure, not something you'd want to tackle if you really had to get the top up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any update to how this was solved?
Got this exact same issue after removing the rear bumper to install the exhaust system.

If I disconnect the battery for a while and then re-connect - then try to open the roof again (whilst the lid is still open), then it closes fine.
But if I close the roof once more, then try to re-open it, it gets stuck again.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Hey has anyone gotten to the bottom of this? I just recently had an issue with the top not closing one day, but it finally decided to work later in the day. I ran a VCDS scan and this is what came up:

Address 26: Auto Roof (J256) Labels:| 427-959-255.clb
Part No SW: 427 959 255 B HW: 427 959 255 B
Component: VSG-AU715 H03 0100
Coding: 000003
Shop #: WSC 02197 785 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_ElectRoofContrAU715 001006
ROD: EV_ElectRoofContrAU715.rod
VCID: 22412BA435F0F7542E-8076

2 Faults Found:
0018 - Switch for Folding Top Compartment Cover Lock; Left; Unlocked
B1295 29 [009] - Signal Implausible
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 51
Mileage: 98436 km
Date: 2018.03.31
Time: 13:52:45

0019 - Switch for Folding Top Compartment Cover Lock; Right; Unlocked
B1296 29 [009] - Signal Implausible
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 51
Mileage: 98436 km
Date: 2018.03.31
Time: 13:52:45

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently had tint replaced on car, now the top won’t close all the way, roof closes but rear hatch won’t come down, I can put top down with no problem but not up. Just wondering if anyone had a solution

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
So in my case, it turned out I needed a replacement motor for the convertible top. My R8 was just over 60k miles of usage.

·
Registered
424 Posts
IMG_20190211_090130.jpg

received_389869761812210.jpg

IMG_20190114_151340.jpg

1.jpg

Had a similar issue on mine a few months ago, brought it to my local mechanic but couldn't fix. So ended up towing it to the dealer to get a new Roof Control Unit & Roof sensors and cables.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi,

There are sensors or 'limit' switches on those flaps and when they are manually moved, they throw off the limits on each and the top thinks something is out of position. I removed the rear vents to put in carbon fiber ones and this happened to me. The car needs to be put on the Audi dealer system and they reset the limits on these switches. It was a few hours of 'diagnostic' time, but they were able to correct it.

Any independent shop can also do this.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Did you put the roof in the service position when you were changing stuff out? Also you don't have a smart top controller? For one touch up/down of the top or controlling your windows and the top through the key fob? I had a problem where the connector was not in correctly and it wouldn't allow the top to work correctly. Ended up using a screw driver to keep the pin on the connector up and when I slid it in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

There are sensors or 'limit' switches on those flaps and when they are manually moved, they throw off the limits on each and the top thinks something is out of position. I removed the rear vents to put in carbon fiber ones and this happened to me. The car needs to be put on the Audi dealer system and they reset the limits on these switches. It was a few hours of 'diagnostic' time, but they were able to correct it.

Any independent shop can also do this.
Hi do you by any chance know where the rear window limit switch sensors are located on the Spyder V10 . . is it behind the panel of the drivers seat or passenger seat ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts