Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have this option? I'm quite curious to hear if it works consistently. Also, how long does it brake the car for, three seconds or so (this is true for BMW)?
Also, weird question: I just watched some one's video and noticed that when the car was started there was a blue light and then a strange chirping noise. What is that?
Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Anyone have this option? I'm quite curious to hear if it works consistently. Also, how long does it brake the car for, three seconds or so (this is true for BMW)?
Also, weird question: I just watched some one's video and noticed that when the car was started there was a blue light and then a strange chirping noise. What is that?
Thanks
Yes the HH operates for about 3 secs or so, then lets go.....off putting if you're not expecting it! Also, if you've not experienced the function before, it feels a bit "sticky" when you move off from dead stop. I did not expect the 6-speed to be so equipped; I thought only the RTronic would have it...it's helpful in city traffic...

Dunno about any 'blue light' tho....not on ours...

Tritone

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sticky... like it's trying to keep the car stationary still? I'm decent with a stickshift (I'm 16... need lots more practice!) so I'm just curious about this.

·
Registered
439 Posts
It works very well. On my office garage, the card reader is at the top of a long, steep ramp, and there is often a car behind me as I leave. The hill-hold feature works absolutely transparently to get me a smooth takeoff. It's as if I were on a level surface.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looking at a used R8 and some dont have the Hill hold on. As it appears quite a cheap option on the R tronic could it be a programmable option that could be added by an Audi dealer?

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
to be honest, I don't like relying on the hh even though I have it - I always use the handbrake on inclines as on inclines just steep enough to cause rollback the hh doesn't always engage for me.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I'm a bit foggy on how the hill hold worked in the m3 - wasn't something I relied on there either. I have a hazy memory that it had to be initiated through the paddles vs automatic based on the incline like the r8/m6.

I like the certainty of the handbrake when it comes to not either looking like a muppet if it rolls or worse, damaging some poor car behind. Left foot braking is another way to achieve the same result for a limited time.

It's gotta be the most pointless option ever
could be worse - i specced hill hold on the tiptronic a5 as the dealer couldn't tell me if the car would hold on an incline in Drive. not only will the car hold in drive, it also has an electronic "switch" handbrake that is excellent as it releases when you apply the accelerator so I'm truly at a loss as to why hh is even an option for the a5 tip.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Chaps

I have this option on 6-speed manual and it works great. On a manual it certainly lasts long enough to let the clutch out -- which on my car it has a long travel.

Although, not on my list when looking for a car, glad I have it !

Only weird thing I have noticed with brakes is after freezing weather (sub zero in C), all brakes are jammed solid -- after checking HH isnt on and trying fwd and reverse then gradual build up of fwd force in first -- there is a "bang" where they all let go and the car moves. Not elegant outcome but appears no harm.

Cheers

-- Munky

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
After driving my car home from delivery, I stopped on the driveway (slight incline) to open the garage door. I took the parking brake off & the car stayed put - WTF?? Absolutely freaked me out until I remembered, Hill Holder. A GREAT option.

TRIVIA - For those of you old enough to remember, Subaru was first with his technology many years ago (old NorCal guy - yes, SF hills too!).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Being that Its an £80 option I'm surprised that not many used cars have it.
Also as it's only £80 could it be a programmable option that audi can turn on as I can't see it being anything hardware wise for that money.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Only weird thing I have noticed with brakes is after freezing weather (sub zero in C), all brakes are jammed solid -- after checking HH isnt on and trying fwd and reverse then gradual build up of fwd force in first -- there is a "bang" where they all let go and the car moves. Not elegant outcome but appears no harm.

I have this problem, especially if discs are wet from washing. I have left the handbrake off when in the garage but sometimes it still freezes on - I don't have much room forward in the garage so have to be careful when easing them off - but they do 'explode' off. We get a lot of salt in the rain and air up here which might account for it but I don't understand why they freeze up if the handbrake is off????

·
Registered
64 Posts
Had the same thing on my M3. Used to go to reverse out of the garage the next day after washing car and it wouldnt move. Then a slight bang and off it went.

·
Registered
617 Posts
After washing wheels use a garden leaf blower to blow off excess water, leave handbrake off in garage but in gear - No problems then !!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The "bang" is probably the pads and the discs letting go of one another after the rust film has built up. The pads and discs are held together with quite a small tolerance gap. If you "dry" the brakes before garaging the problem disappears. I find that drying brakes is best done by taking the car out for a little spin after washing (any excuse!) and braking hard once or twice to get the discs hot. Blowers only get to one side of the disc. Water evaporates and next time you get the car out the discs should still appear shiny and you should have no "bang". Works for me anyhow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My R8 "chirps" after startup when the bluetooth phone bonds with the car. A little message is also displayed saying "BT on". Pretty sure the message is red though, not blue.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The "bang" is probably the pads and the discs letting go of one another after the rust film has built up. The pads and discs are held together with quite a small tolerance gap. If you "dry" the brakes before garaging the problem disappears. I find that drying brakes is best done by taking the car out for a little spin after washing (any excuse!) and braking hard once or twice to get the discs hot. Blowers only get to one side of the disc. Water evaporates and next time you get the car out the discs should still appear shiny and you should have no "bang". Works for me anyhow.

I have a crappy Ryobi cordless blower - better off flapping at them with a hankie.

I used to take it for a spin after washing, but as I live on a farm, it usually needs washing when it comes back!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts