Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I love this car I can't get over the feeling that Audi has cut corners while designing it.

I'm really disappointed in the brakes. Sure the car brakes very well but it's having a hard time dissipating heat. If you look at it carefully you'll notice that Audi is using the same discs on both side and that therefore one side is mounted backwards. This seems to provide inadequate cooling on the right side. Audi has NO EXCUSES for doing this except to lower costs. Now that's understandable for a family sedan but for a performance vehicle such as the R8? Unacceptable. :mad:

Now after my fifth DE I'll be on my 3rd set of rotors.

The other thing that really bothers me is when hard braking coming up a hill, the ABS system goes crazy, making the pedal really hard and making it hard to brake well. It's happened to me often enough to notice that'S where the problem area is.

Finally watch the keyfob, I hit mine with my knee and shut down the whole car right before a sharp turn. That was scary to say the least. :eek:

Bottom line is I'm disappointed with this so-called performance car. As much as I'd love to track it more I will relegate it to road trips and driving around town.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I thought I noticed more brake dust buildup on right side.My imagination, or do the baxkwards rotors/heat cause this. I'm still enjoying .Need to do a track to really scare myself. This car is too safe for the streets. will start to leave esp off for a change. Cuz i'm pretty sure the car cannot be taken OUT of all wheel drive.:) Our cars were built at the start of this great depression. Savvy Audi management forsaw this bleak situation...Thus cutting,cutting,cutting.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As much as I love this car I can't get over the feeling that Audi has cut corners while designing it.

I'm really disappointed in the brakes. Sure the car brakes very well but it's having a hard time dissipating heat. If you look at it carefully you'll notice that Audi is using the same discs on both side and that therefore one side is mounted backwards. This seems to provide inadequate cooling on the right side. Audi has NO EXCUSES for doing this except to lower costs. Now that's understandable for a family sedan but for a performance vehicle such as the R8? Unacceptable. :mad:

Now after my fifth DE I'll be on my 3rd set of rotors.

Could you let us know what kind of use it is that is requiring you to replace the discs??

Are you replacing left and right?

Why do you not replace them with the Carbon/ceramic rotors??

·
Registered
761 Posts
Inrev,

How did it go at the track at Mont-Tremblant?

·
Registered
761 Posts
As much as I love this car
On my end, I am finding the R8 more and more less practical for everyday. I realized I am spending more time driving the Cayenne than the R8. I think the type of comfort I want has to do something with it. Don't get me wrong, it's a very comfy car, especially for a sport car. The R-Tronic is also becoming a bit of a burden to me as well.

I thin I lost my racer gene. :eek: Am I becoming an old man? :eek:

I have a SL63 on the way and I think I will sell the R8 eventually.

ps: don't throw rocks at me, the R8 is a fantastic car :):D:p:eek::rolleyes::cool::):D

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Yes, I have also noticed the ABS kicking in when braking hard when going sharply uphill. I experienced it last weekend at VIR. It was not a big problem, but it was noticeable. Once my Hoosiers heated up, it seemed to not happen as easily.

I agree it's kind of strange on a car that is of such high quality otherwise to save a few bucks by running the rotors backwards on one side, although my pyrometer didn't measure a significant temperature difference left to right.

3 sets of rotors in 5 DEs is a lot, I got about 6 DEs in on my first set, and I'm well into the 2nd. Some news here is that I just sent one of the used front rotors to a 3rd party rotor manufacturer who is going to use it to get the specs for producing slotted aftermarket rotors for the R8, with the vanes running in the proper direction on both sides. Hopefully they will come thru as they plan. I'll let you know.

Never heard of anyone turning the car off by accident by hitting the key fob with their knee, that sounds nasty!

But otherwise, my opinion is that the R8 is such a tremendous track car that it's well worth tracking. I've found it's right around as fast as a Porsche GT3. I love tracking it, and people love seeing it there. It's so incredibly well balanced, and so smooth and flat (especially with the H&R sport springs) and with the aftermarket exhaust the sound is so awesome. It literally attracts crowds there in the paddock.

Dan1, you can't just pop on a ceramic rotor. The ceramic rotors use different calipers and also different brakelines and master cylinders. And the failure mode of the steel rotors is hairline cracks coming off of the drilled holes. When that happens, it's not long until the entire rotor cracks in 2 or more pieces.

mt

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
If you're interested, here's an in-car video of the R8 running some pretty fast laps at VIR. It was the Grand East course, 4.2 miles, 34 turns, about a 3 minute lap time. It was a blast, and the R8 performed superbly.

It looks best if you view it over on the YouTube website (not here), and then switch to HQ and then run it full screen. You can then read the speedometer the whole time.

MT

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
... video of the R8 running some pretty fast laps at VIR. MT
Looks like VIR is a very fast track, lots of high speed segments. Very nice!

·
Registered
935 Posts
But otherwise, my opinion is that the R8 is such a tremendous track car that it's well worth tracking. I've found it's right around as fast as a Porsche GT3. I love tracking it, and people love seeing it there. It's so incredibly well balanced, and so smooth and flat (especially with the H&R sport springs) and with the aftermarket exhaust the sound is so awesome. It literally attracts crowds there in the paddock.

mt
I fully AGREE! Tracking the R8 with Mag Ride, H&R Springs, Pagid Yellows, Dedicated Track Rotors, Castrol SRF and some HOOSIERS is INCREDIBLE!!

I'm hanging with GT3s and some RSs!!! No problems with brakes or grip or anything else...it freaking ROCKS!!! :D
The R8 is a track weapon with some small mods...

Something must be going on with your setup...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone, I had my flamesuit all prepped up thinking I'd get a beating. :)

MotherTrucker, thanks for the reply. I'd be definitely interested in the brake rotors because if I don't find a solution to this I'll just sell it. I agree, this car is tremendous on the track and I run with GT3s fairly easily.

Also I may lack experience and a lighter, slower car may be what I need to properly learn how to drive at the track. Nonetheless I've tracked other cars and never had that brake problem in such a recurring pattern.

Nice video by the way!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As my juttering got stronger I noticed my ABS would go crazy on me more and more. Also I'm noticing serious steering wheel jutter when I'm braking somewhat hard. I'm thinking hotspotting on the rotors?

Can I keep the current pads if I'm changing rotors? I just had the pagid blues installed, liked them for the first few sessions, more bite and less fade and after a day (well half a day) they're still quiet!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree it's kind of strange on a car that is of such high quality otherwise to save a few bucks by running the rotors backwards on one side, although my pyrometer didn't measure a significant temperature difference left to right.

If there is no "significant temperature difference" who cares??
Maybe they do not work the way you think they do, example one side pull air from the outside of the rotor the other from the inside. The temps are what are important not how they are staying the same temps.

Dan1, you can't just pop on a ceramic rotor. The ceramic rotors use different calipers and also different brakelines and master cylinders. And the failure mode of the steel rotors is hairline cracks coming off of the drilled holes. When that happens, it's not long until the entire rotor cracks in 2 or more pieces.

mt
OK thank you.You want a race car buy a race car. You want a street car to be a race car spend what it takes to make it work for you.
Clearly are some tracks and speeds for some people do work but for his use they are over heating. The simple solution is fix the problem with disc, pads, calipers, lines, mastercylinder, fluid, that do work. Yes it is expensive, all carbon ceramic disc systems are. The R8 for what you pay and what you get is a bargain to start with.

You have followed this already in your switch from the OEM street tire to the Hoosier tires.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Has Inrev changed his brake fluid??:) The FIRST upgrade to be done to the system?? I haven't yet and everything is going smoothly still...but at first chance will upgrade.:)

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I'm thinking hotspotting on the rotors?

Can I keep the current pads if I'm changing rotors? I just had the pagid blues installed, liked them for the first few sessions, more bite and less fade and after a day (well half a day) they're still quiet!

Sure sounds like hotspotting on your rotors to me. Yes, you can use the same pads as long as you resurface or replace the rotors.

MT

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Has Inrev changed his brake fluid??:) The FIRST upgrade to be done to the system?? I haven't yet and everything is going smoothly still...but at first chance will upgrade.:)
Yeah got upgraded fluid.

One other thing I noticed weird is that when I got the pads changed my rear right pad was eaten in a steep angle like it didn't have constant pressure from all sides of the caliper. My mechanic also noticed silicon which would mean that they've put it on there to lower noise supposedly? I look forward to seeing if my new pads are evenly used this time.

I never had problems with my rotors until I had Audi change the pads under warranty because they were making too much noise. Then hell started.

·
Registered
761 Posts
OUT OF TOPIC:

To get back to me wanting to buy a SL63 and eventually sell my R8 ... ooh ohh ... don't know if it's gonna happen ... drove a SL55 today and God All Mighty it's a monster in a straight line but handling?!?!?!?!?! woooowwww it sucked!!!!!

Gotta test drive the SL63 and see how it is, hope better ... either case, I am keeping the R8 for sure!

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
55 and 63 handle much the same, 63 may be a fraction tighter but not much.

If 'sucked' means 'bad' then something is wrong!

The 55 and 63 have adaptive suspension that tightens when cornering to prevent roll. It doesn't work as fast as Audi's magnetic ride but its good and provides a soft ride when you are cruising and tightens up when you start pushing into a corner. It also works to provide anti dive and anti squat.

How old was the 55 you drove ? The system is known to be problematic on older cars but you normally get warning lights if anything is wrong.

·
Registered
761 Posts
55 and 63 handle much the same, 63 may be a fraction tighter but not much.

If 'sucked' means 'bad' then something is wrong!

The 55 and 63 have adaptive suspension that tightens when cornering to prevent roll. It doesn't work as fast as Audi's magnetic ride but its good and provides a soft ride when you are cruising and tightens up when you start pushing into a corner. It also works to provide anti dive and anti squat.

How old was the 55 you drove ? The system is known to be problematic on older cars but you normally get warning lights if anything is wrong.

No, it was not bad. I am so used to the R8's handling that I when I drive anything else, I say it sucks. It was actually pretty nice and comfortable.

The SL55 was a year 2006. It was my friend's car and is is top notch condition; nothing wrong with it.

I was told the SL63 has a better chassis? (supposedly the chassis was changed after year 06) Is it true? I don't know. I will test drive one this week and if I like it, buy one. We'll see.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts