Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked hard to find a gated R8 V8 spider, and finally found a teak metallic one about two and a half years ago, and quickly traded my mint gated Ferrari 360 for it almost straight up. Having driven 3400 miles, and a new AC ($8k) and a new transmission ($17k) later the itch has been scratched and I’m ready to move on. I bought an AMG GTS a year ago and find that the Audi is not being driven. It is bone stock, immaculate, and has about 12 k miles.

I have been blessed to own over fifty cars, over thirty of them Italian and German sports cars. I would rank the R8 in the top ten, but certainly not in the top five. It is a very fun car to drive, looks great, and always gets a wave or a thumbs up. It’s a very expensive car to have dealer maintained, last week a presale dealer inspection, oil change with a cabin filter was over $400 alone.
I consigned the car to Crave Luxury, who sells high line exotics here in Texas. The owner tells me in the three days he has had it listed, he already has multiple offers, so I am confident it will be sold soon.

Thanks for the support during my ownership, I’m more of a lurker than a poster, but I check out the site several times a week, I always enjoy the stories and the pics. Happy motoring!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hope that you will still stay though so that you can assist newbie like me with regards to mods and upgrades.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bummer to hear about your R8. I can't believe the transmission needed replacement. I'd be sour too after 25k in repairs during 3400 miles.

Not sure about the GTS, but I drove my neighbor's GTC vert, and while the car has just as much presence and incredible power and great interior, I wouldn't choose it over my V8 Spyder. I don't like how long the hood/area in front of the driver is. Gives me anxiety compared to the R8 which has a short hood and great visibility. Also the R8's V8 sounds so much better, the AMG's has no character in comparison. But it sure is quick. And then the elephant in the room is the manual transmission. I don't think I could ever give that up, no matter how fast the car was. Revving the snot out of the little N/A V8 is one of the most rewarding experiences I've had in a car.

But, they are 2 different cars for 2 different eras. I can see why someone might prefer the AMG, but I'm just not one of them :)

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
I'll say this... there's no shortage of forum members who have sold an R8 only to pop back up in ANOTHER R8. The R8 is just a very special car.

Reactions: RNLabas

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I'll say this... there's no shortage of forum members who have sold an R8 only to pop back up in ANOTHER R8. The R8 is just a very special car.
Hah ! I think I just saw your shortest post ever ... ;-)

·
Vendor
1,434 Posts
We have had so many customers switch to Porsches, McLarens and Ferraris.....and have come back to the R8.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
To be honest i had a couple good offers on my 2011 spyder v10 manual.
and i just can’t part with the car.
The only car i lust for is a ferrari F12.
But i have patience and i will wait it out when they are a little cheaper then 200k.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be honest i had a couple good offers on my 2011 spyder v10 manual.
and i just can’t part with the car.
The only car i lust for is a ferrari F12.
But i have patience and i will wait it out when they are a little cheaper then 200k.
Drive an old gated Ferrari that feels like a go cart on the street that should be illegal, a big block C2 roadster running straight pipes, or even a perfectly sorted Sixties Alpha....it’s not all about a perfectly engineered car, sometimes it’s the crudeness of a car that makes driving it well a challenge.....my gf could drive the R8 like Bondurant, the car makes the driver that much better. I like things a little less controlled, I promise that my Renntech GTS never feels like I am in complete control, nor did my old Ferraris... the beautiful thing about being a car guy is that we all are different to some extent, but all of us share the passion of a great car, whatever that means to each of us

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Hah ! I think I just saw your shortest post ever ... ;-)
Haha - what can I say, Roger... sometimes that's all there is to it! :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I guess Ferrarichat...he's been on the hunt for a 355...any leads EZ? BTW, I saw a friend's 355 recently...beautiful car...so compact and what a sound!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi,
I identify my own feelings from your description of driving the R8.
I've stuck with it for over a year and with some minor tweaks (removal of some interior soundproofing from the firewall, Michelin PS4's and suspension geometry) I experienced one of the most enjoyable drives of my life this week.
Engine and gearbox are immediate and next level, but getting the best from the handling and overall drive has taken quite a bit longer than I expected - and I think there's more to come.

All I'd comment is stick with it and give it a few more miles and be patient - reset, push your existing thoughts out of your mind and go and drive the car again. You might need to make a few adjustments to help it fulfil your own requirements ...raw, directness, whatever you seek, but it probably has more in it than has yet been realised.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
I think he’s cheating on us...fess up, what other forum are you on.
I guess Ferrarichat...he's been on the hunt for a 355...any leads EZ? BTW, I saw a friend's 355 recently...beautiful car...so compact and what a sound!
Haha - I confess! :)

A few 355 leads. It's a small community, so several of these cars I've had an eye on for a long while - just a matter of timing. In fact, I was chatting with an Fchat acquaintance I've known for several years (good guy with a nice 355) - as we were talking and he was giving me an update on his car, he let me know he's been lurking on our forum here... interested in a Gen-1 R8! What can I say, the man has taste! :)

Reactions: hamannperformance

·
Registered
224 Posts
What's your ideal 355 spec? Red on tan coupe? They look so good in black as well. I like the targas but perhaps I'm in the minority. How about the trans...gated shifter?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Drive an old gated Ferrari that feels like a go cart on the street that should be illegal, a big block C2 roadster running straight pipes, or even a perfectly sorted Sixties Alpha....it’s not all about a perfectly engineered car, sometimes it’s the crudeness of a car that makes driving it well a challenge.....my gf could drive the R8 like Bondurant, the car makes the driver that much better. I like things a little less controlled, I promise that my Renntech GTS never feels like I am in complete control, nor did my old Ferraris... the beautiful thing about being a car guy is that we all are different to some extent, but all of us share the passion of a great car, whatever that means to each of us
I went from a 11,000 mile, very clean, 2011, VF supercharged, v10, 6 speed to a Renntech GTS as well.
At times i missed certain things about the R8 but then the new owner called me because he was having a problem transferring my Fidelity warranty. Of course I had to ask what was going on and was told that a month prior the VF SC had to be replaced largely because of a bad install ($25,000) and that the car was at his local Audi shop for a failed transmission.
I think this is the rare exception and I feel bad for the new owner but certainly haven't looked back.
Like others, I will probably buy another only this time a Gen2 convertible.

j

1 - 16 of 16 Posts