Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I travel quite a bit with my R8 and at the risk of being flamed by those who want their R8s to make more noise, I am kind of fascinated by the thought of having it be so silent that one can hardly hear it.

Mind you I don't want to lose a significant amount of power, so is something like that doable ? :confused:

Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
OMG, you are going to make TI-Mike absolutely frantic! He was so critical of us for being too meek when we wanted to disconnect the stock exhaust valves! (Hey Mike, just teasing you!)

One thought is that for a first step, and without spending any real money, you could use safety wire to keep the exhaust valves CLOSED all the time. That way the exhaust gasses would always have to go through the full muffler system. It does seem that the added restriction (not sure how much it really is, though) would necessarily have some affect on performance.

Please try it and let us know the results!

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
On further thought you should be able to accomplish the same thing by using a short length of rubber tubing to bypass the solenoid valve in the engine compartment. That way the exhaust valves would always be connected to engine vacuum and the valves would always be held closed (other than immediately upon engine startup). I suggest this to avoid the necessity of removing the wheels or the bumper to get physical access to the two exhaust valves.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I've got the solution for you:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts