Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These things get incredibly filthy. I think the ceramics would be worth not having to clean these so often.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Indeed, R8 wheels do get dirty very quickly.

The 18" wheels which are standard in Germany and most of Europe have a shape that makes them easier to clean, which is one of the reasons I chose not to go for the 19" wheels (another being potholes which are less likely to destroy an 18" wheel).

I used Volkswagen rim cleaner (which I believe is the same as Porsche rim cleaner and I'm told is made by PS21 in Germany) which I had lying around and the brush that came with it and they again looked new with a few minutes work.

Keep in mind that I've had my car only for something like 3 weeks and 2,200 km (1,400 miles).

·
Registered
148 Posts
I use Griot's Garage wheel cleaner (not acidic like many others so very safe) and their long-handled wheel brush. Plus, cleaning them often keeps the excessive brake dust from getting too hard to get off.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product...ls/three+long+reach+wheel+scrubber+brushes.do

I also had several coats of sealer (RejeX) placed on the wheels which seems to help stuff from sticking too hard...not sure how long-term this is, but for the first few months, it has been great.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I waxed my wheels from new with a few coats of Swissvax, now they just need a weekly wash with a microfibre washmitt and johnsons baby bath to keep them looking as new :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I waxed my wheels from new with a few coats of Swissvax, now they just need a weekly wash with a microfibre washmitt and johnsons baby bath to keep them looking as new :)
Why Johnsons baby bath? :confused:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use a bunch of polish guys with a very high pressure washer and some horrid chemicals - wonderful!!!

Its only a car, why worry

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't know about the UK, but I found some on Saturday for around a Euro at Zeeman (a chain of low-end textile shops) in The Netherlands.

Microfiber has become very common and inexpensive. You should be able to find something equivalent in the UK. Look near the mops etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts