Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Wanted to start a discussion on probably a familiar topic to most of you: How do you stay happy or satisfied with your current Audi R8?

It is an amazing car, its affordable and still turns heads. The sound of the engine is something which will not be available on any newly released cars going forward.. So much greatness but still.. You keep looking at all the other cars. From boring Porsche Targa's, to crazy KTM X-bows and Lambo Aventadors (roadsters).. All great in there own right, but really wanted to ask for your tips on how to stay satisfied.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
22 Posts
Treat the relationship with the R8 like a marriage - you have to work at it. Its ok to look at the other 'models' but dont touch - it will empty your wallet quickly, the enthusiasm will wane after a few months, you may regret it as the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Buy her / it gifts (carbon, audio, performance......) and she will surprise and please you every time. By the way, I have had over 100 cars in my time and only one wife of 30 years, since getting the R8 now one car and one wife no need to look elsewhere for either......

Question - when you park up in a parking lot and walk away, do you look back before disappearing out of sight, I do every time, that says something.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I came to an epiphany of sorts a few months ago when my neighbor down the street brought home a gen 2 R8 Spyder. Driving by it definitely made me do a double take the first time I saw it. A bit of envy came upon me, but then I started thinking.

I bought my R8 V8 at a very different time in my life and in a very different lifestyle situation than I am now. Back then I had no wife, no kids, and infinitely more time to drive the R8 whenever I pleased. But I was also much more hyper focused on cars in general, always getting bored after 3-4 years of modifying and looking to trade into the next best thing, whatever I convinced myself it was. But now, I maybe get a chance to drive the R8 once every 1-2 weeks when I'm not getting work done around the house or just being with my family. I realized that I could absolutely afford that Gen 2 sitting in my neighbor's driveway, but say I went and bought one. How would my life change, other than having a much faster car with a V10 that I can drive every 1-2 weeks if I'm lucky?

The answer is in absolutely no way, other than throwing roughly 100k down the drain. I would not be any happier, my lifestyle would not change, and I'm not so sure it would be any more fun than my current R8. I've owned faster cars than my gen 1 V8, and those cars came and went, while the R8 is still in my garage coming up to 10 years now.

So I guess where I'm coming from is the way I stay happy and satisfied with my R8 is by focusing out a little bit and realizing it's not the car that makes me happy, it's the joy of driving among other sources of happiness and it's beyond the spec sheets and performance numbers. I understand for track nuts it's a different story, but for me, the happiness and satisfaction comes from myself actually driving my own car and rowing through the gears. And I have yet to find a car to experience that better than in my R8 Spyder :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just picked mine up yesterday. It has been my dream car for many years and the feeling of finally having your dreams come true is unlike any other.

Reactions: Acakoning

·
Registered
205 Posts
It helps that my wife hates my car because she says I spend too much time driving it, detailing it & working on it. So, chasing something that I can't have keeps me always wanting it. Perhaps similar to a mistress.

·
Registered
655 Posts
i like to try different cars, and own other exotics in addition to the r8 but at the end of the day, r8 does everything and is just the best value ever. I recently had a chance to get into a performante and was honestly a bit underwhelmed as a r8 owner of 6 years. The perf is louder but sounds similar, faster above 7000rpm, much sharper in turns, and the design is just crazy aggressive (plus the shouty green) but it's hard to justify that 15% improvement for 300% the price. Pair it with a warranty till 2027 on the r8 makes it a even worry-free sweeter experience. I think most important thing is to drive your r8 often, take it everywhere, take it to the track, take it on a road trip etc. Looking at other fancy cars on social media and thinking grass is greener on the other side distract you from the experience of r8 ownership. R8 might be getting old, is cheaper and not as shouty as other exotics, but as someone who's been on the other side u appreciate the r8 much more with its analogue feel, reliability, ease of maintenance, wide dealer support, the iconic design that ages very well, the slower, heavier steering require you to be a better driver to push any performance out of it

·
Registered
146 Posts
Easy, drive the hell out of it and learn to push it to the limits. Then you realize at those limits, it’s hard to upgrade.

You can also size up the competition. Test drive a McLaren and you’ll be amazed at the speed, but the lack of sound and terrible build quality. Drive a Lamborghini and you’ll realize you barely have room. Drive a Ferrari and you’ll realize V8 Twin Turbos aren’t the same and the V12’s are great, but the front engine is not nearly as nimble.

Then you’ll end up looking at a GT3 RS and fall in love, but you’ll miss the V10 and then complain you can’t get a car without paying 50k over sticker or how 6 year old used ones are at or above MSRP.

Then you’ll circle back and realize the R8 is the best in terms of being the most well rounded and refined out of the bunch. Then you’ll repeat this cycle every time a new model comes out from another brand.

The only “upgrade” I’d consider is a Huracan STO, but that car isn’t easy to live with on a daily basis. You have to wash it a special way that avoids spraying water on the rear since everything is exposed. There was a letter sent to dealers warning their detailers and customers about it. Regular Huracan and R8 has channels for the water to go out so it can be soaked, sit in rain, etc. STO not so much.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
That engine sound. I've had mine 4 years and driven it for over 32,000 miles. Best bang for your buck exotic. Like others said there's other cars out there that will drain your wallet. It's been especially harder for me recently since purchasing a Plaid. The sheer power has made the V10 feel gutless, even in Gen 2 V10 Plus configuration. However, that engine note, and the overall experience of driving a V10 exotic is what keeps me coming back. I love the V12s (aka F12/812 Superfast) but is it worth that much more? That's a personal decision and for me it doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
2020 R8 V10 Performance Coupe Ascari Blue
176 Posts
1) Look at it often
2) Drive and have fun
3) Enjoy the sound
4) Spend time cleaning the car (I take at least 3 hours)
5) Drive or park near the crowd and enjoy all the praises
6) Look online for the crazy used car market price hikes and stay satisfied that you already have one
7) Look youtube review of R8, enjoy all the praises from reviewer and commenter

·
Registered
444 Posts
How do you stay happy or satisfied with your current Audi R8?
Drive it thoroughly. Attend meetups with fellow owners and enjoy those new/existing friendships.
Under no circumstances do I allow resale value, depreciation or current market trends to sour the experience. It's a hand built super/sportscar....what's there to be unhappy or unsatisfied about? :)

·
Administrator
6,182 Posts
Treat the relationship with the R8 like a marriage
Marriage is hard enough to stay happy in, can't do it with my cars. Even though I loved every minute of my ownership in my R8V8 and R8V10 I can't resist the urge for something new. Since getting rid of my R8 in 2017 I have got a 2015 Huracan, then to a 2019 488 and now 2020 Evo Spyder. Even that one will be gone soon as I have a 2022 Evo Coupe on order. So in my case I'm just happy I do this with cars and not wife's. But will say I think my 2012 R8V10 manual with VF Supercharger may be the most fun car I have ever owned.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Marriage is hard enough to stay happy in, can't do it with my cars. Even though I loved every minute of my ownership in my R8V8 and R8V10 I can't resist the urge for something new. Since getting rid of my R8 in 2017 I have got a 2015 Huracan, then to a 2019 488 and now 2020 Evo Spyder. Even that one will be gone soon as I have a 2022 Evo Coupe on order. So in my case I'm just happy I do this with cars and not wife's. But will say I think my 2012 R8V10 manual with VF Supercharger may be the most fun car I have ever owned.
There's a local guy i know who is selling a gated V10 with Heffner turbos if you want to scratch that itch again lol

·
Administrator
6,182 Posts
There's a local guy i know who is selling a gated V10 with Heffner turbos if you want to scratch that itch again lol
I like the feel of supercharged better, may do a VF kit on my incoming Evo. Am going to need to add a stick soon though. R8 prices to crazy right now so may get a new Lotus Emira

Reactions: AK16

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like the feel of supercharged better, may do a VF kit on my incoming Evo. Am going to need to add a stick soon though. R8 prices to crazy right now so may get a new Lotus Emira
I know! I feel like I was lucky enough to score my fully loaded R8 RWS for $145,000. It only has 13,000 miles

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just keep driving it. It delivers with a smile, over and over. It's also got to be one of if not the best bang for the buck out there, and it turns heads no matter where I go. It's just the right balance. Beautiful without being over the top. Everyone can appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts