Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2022 model here, and I'm still pretty new to this car.. Mostly I've driven a mix of gentle with moments of hard (near full or full throttle) driving.

But yesterday I drove my car harder than usual, did a lot of full throttle pulls and did a lot of my own paddle shifting, plenty of backfires, etc. And reached........inappropriate speeds.

My question is, is my car going to be able to handle this? I was always told when I owned my 911 that a 911 is meant to be driven hard.

How about this car? Thanks for any feedback :)

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Just get the temperatures up to normal first and then drive it as hard as you like. These engines use stock internals when they are used in racing and Ricky REP also keeps the internals stock with his stage 1 & 2 twin turbo conversions - in other words, up to about 1000 bhp.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Every time you start the car, you're wearing away components whether you drive it hard or not.

These cars are BUILT for this and as Trev says, the stock power is conservative. Don't even have second thoughts about driving it hard just watch your temperatures and keep up with maintenance.

I reach around ~235F on oil at the track, which really isn't that bad especially when you compare it to the "normal" ~300F my Z06 used to see. I do my oil around every 1-2k miles to refresh the additives in the oil and keep everything healthy.

·
Registered
992 Posts
^ Wow, you change your oil that frequently? I was planning to stick with the standard oil change schedule (yearly or 10k miles, whichever comes sooner)
Yeah but only because I track it. Blackstone labs will, hopefully, give me the same response as always "you're changing your oil too frequently - it's still good."

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
Each time I go out, I usually have a mix of casual and hard driving. Based on where I wander, traffic, etc., the mix may change obviously... but I try to get a mix of both on each drive.

As others have said, the car is definitely happy to be driven hard... or as hard as you'd reasonably do so on the street, which is not going to approach the stresses of a track (which it's also happy to do but with some modification - like changing brake fluid away from stock).

After 8 years with my R8, I've had one truly scary moment, and a handful of edgy moments when driving the car hard. Mechanically speaking, you're not going to break it by driving it hard. However, I'd just warn that the R8 has a very forgiving envelope of performance, and it can easily make even a modest driver (like myself!) feel more competent than they are in reality. But when you reach the edge of the envelope, it degrades very quickly - probably what you're used to with the 911. This may be more of an issue for someone coming from front-engine AWD cars that are used to experiencing a more safe under-steer when things get hairy... but, in one of my scariest experiences with the R8, I found out just how quickly you can go from strong grip to snap oversteer. Some tail wagging back and forth mid-corner on a narrow road... but with some level-headed inputs and stability engaged, it didn't end badly thankfully! But, as I said, it was a reminder, even after many years behind the wheel of this car, that the envelope is quite forgiving until it's not, and that's a very thin line.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
I drive mine in a spirited fashion as it was designed. Only after proper warm up of course. Have not made it out to the track in it yet as I was getting some safety measures in place first. And on the topic of oil, I change mine yearly or 5k. Whichever comes first. I’ve owned for 3+ years and have 5 changes done so far (engine pull caused the additional).

·
Premium Member
2011 Manual V10 on Signature SV104s
993 Posts
Get the temps up and go to town on it. That's what it's built for. (y)

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
How hard do I drive my R8? Answer, for the purposes of this discussion: hard, frequently to the redline. Answer, in response to the question if I was selling it: gently, never above 4000 revs…

·
Registered
2017 R8 V10+ Tango Red
194 Posts
No offence intended to the OP but if this is your first hot car or you don’t drive hard often then make sure your tires are warm before you load them up. Once the engine and tranny are warmed up you don’t really need to concern yourself with high rpm driving, they run these things at redline all the way through a full tank of gas during R&D. I believe on the jay leno YouTube vid they said it takes 17 mins to drain the tank at WOT, and you could fill it up and do it all over again 🙂

1 - 12 of 12 Posts