Audi R8 Forums banner

How long from Built to Delivery (UK)

7K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  geffers 
#1 · (Edited)
Just been informed that my car has been built and now going into testing.

Typically how long before I get my greasey mits on it.

The R8 Team said middle Feb in which case I will wait until March 1st

The wait is almost over!!!!

Ian

#4 ·
I was told that mine was still being built in early December, I think it had just gone in the paintshop at the time according to Audi's tracking system. I was expecting the car end of Jan after also being told the factory is shut until next week then Audi UK emailed me today and told me that the car has arrived in the UK! :D

#6 ·
Can you post or PM when it arrives at your dealer.

Never been to Leeds - are there any good "Safe" driving roads up in Yorkshire. I plan to do a tour every weekend to a new part of the UK

#5 ·
It's like your partner having a child. You know its coming you know the approximate date.

Its the 3 days of labour are the ones that put the nerves on edge.

Getting way to excited...

Ian its only a car!!!

#7 ·
I don't know about other regions, but in Korea you can have the normal delivery by boat, which I've been told takes about 9 weeks from completion, or your can pay about $7500 and get it sent by air. Which takes about 2~3 weeks.

#8 ·
Imclueless, I'll drop you a note when the car turns up. Re good driving roads there are plenty around Yorkshire, just avoid any of the major conurbations although York is a beautiful place and Leeds is a lively city. From York heading North right up to the Orkney Islands you will be spoilt for choice. I'll have to have a think tho' about 'safe'.

#9 ·
Just put a deposit on mine yesterday and was told July delivery.
Are you able to track the building of your car or is the dealer the only one that knows what stage it is at.

I know this is off the subject a bit but how have Australian owners found the back up from Audi. When I ordered my Porsche they sent me all sorts off things like a scetch of the car to frame, model of my car and other things.
Maybe this was to keep me interested untill it arrived.

#13 ·
not sure how accurate Audis system is either, my dealer was telling me it would be unlikely that my car would be completed before the xmas break and then 2nd Jan I'm (happily) told that my car has landed in the UK. I don't know if this is someones way of managing expectations?

Re. finance, dealer offered me 5.6% APR today and best rate is apparently on HP with a low deposit and a short-term repayment i.e. £75k over 18 months, total repayable £78k. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

#14 ·
Interesting. I had my finance guy do some figures, and I was being quoted about 2% over 'base', but on balanced lease purchase (spreads the interest properly) over 2 years. Less penalty should you choose to leave early, since the interest isn't front loaded, but I will perhaps approach the dealer directly and see what they can achieve as well, since I haven't signed anything yet.

Over the 24 months which is granted a slightly longer time than yours, I'm borrowing less (putting a bigger deposit down) but paying more back in interest...

I wonder if I can get a better result :)

#15 ·
Jampo,

My dealer started his pitch at over 7% apr but within 5 mins we'd got to the deal I wanted, actual rate is 5.5% APR and any setup fees have been waived. I guess it helped, him knowing that I work in this field and had access to good deals elsewhere but 5.5% is an excellent rate in the current credit climate.

I'm guessing all dealers in the UK will use the same finance house, I havent seen the paperwork yet so dont know which one it is but you should push for the same rate. On a 2 year deal your monthly repayment will work out at £440 per every £10k borrowed.

#17 ·
geffers: presumably thats a repayment figure for straight HP?

imclueless: that assumes that a savings account would be the ideal place to put £85k in cash

There are many reasons why people would want to finance, even if they had the entire purchase price in available funds. If you tie this cash up in a car, you have to sell the car to release the funds again, which may take longer than is practical... and may not be the ideal thing to do, especially if you only need 1/2 of the money.

The difference between the total interest paid over the finance period, versus what you could 'earn' on the money yourself over the same period is the eventual 'cost' for credit - plus you need to factor in the benefit of having instant access to the cash. So if your cash could earn you £5k over 2 years, but you are paying £6k in finance charges, then you are effectively only payin £1k in interest... and for this negligible amount, it may be worth hanging onto your cash in case you need it elsewhere.

Besides, some people could take that £85k in cash, and earn £7k on it in the same period (granted, not by putting it into a savings account) - in which case buying the car with cash effectively COSTS you £1k.

Each to their own.

#18 ·
The difference between the total interest paid over the finance period, versus what you could 'earn' on the money yourself over the same period is the eventual 'cost' for credit - plus you need to factor in the benefit of having instant access to the cash. So if your cash could earn you £5k over 2 years, but you are paying £6k in finance charges, then you are effectively only payin £1k in interest... and for this negligible amount, it may be worth hanging onto your cash in case you need it elsewhere.

Or to look at it another way - you have lost 5k interest and paid 6k interest, you are then down 11k !!!!!!!! to still have some readily available money. And this has to be done from taxed income as well, as you say each to their own :confused: :confused: :confused:

#24 ·
Jampo

Yes the figure I quoted was for a straightforward HP repayment. The balanced lease thing sounds like a good idea so long as you are not paying extra for it. The dealer was keen fo me to take a PCP which I would have preferred too but he couldnt get the same rate and again I wasnt prepared to pay extra for it.

Like yourself I'd rather have the £75k available than tied up in my car and at 5.5% against available savings rates of 4.5% (net of 40% tax) its good for me! As you say I'm hoping to put the cash to much better use than a savings account!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.