Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my search continues for a gated v10 coupe and I am realizing more and more that this is getting ugly, i.e. very few cars available and high asking prices for those that are available.

This past spring and summer, I let 2 v10 coupes go at what were at the time great prices and now with the covid luxury tax on top, absolutely insanely good prices. In may of 2020 I was actually the first to inquire about a unicorn 2014 V10 PLUS gated coupe that was an amazing price. I could have put a deposit down subject to PPI and it would have been mine. I didn't, the dealer raised the price by $10000 the next day and it sold that day. This decision will likely be one I lament about in the years to come many a time.

Anyhow in both cases I hesitated because the cars were across the country and I wouldn't be able to drive them. I have only bought one used car previously without driving it. It was also across the country but it was still under warranty and I had BMW inspect the car. It also only had 20000km and only cost 35K so it was on a different scale.

That car (a 2007 bmw Z4 coupe) turned out amazing and is still one of my favourite cars to date. but it was only 2 years old and was under warranty and was 35k

in the R8 scenario, we are talking much olders cars, sometimes with higher mileage, and no warranty (most likely) in the six figure price range.

I have only driven 2 r8s one a 2012 and one a 2014 both with 30000 km, but they drove very differently. I really liked in the 2012 and had no interest in the 2014 .

Those test drives confirmed for me that used R8s can feel very different after 5-10 years and 20000-30000miles.

Which is ultimately why i passed on the 2 cars that came up this spring and summer. I didn't want to buy one, have it arrive and then not like the car.

But maybe I just have to bite the bullet and rely on a PPI given how tight the market is becoming...interested in hearing people's perspectives and experiences on this

·
Registered
195 Posts
I didn't drive mine until I got it delivered. But I test drove ones like it locally at an Audi dealership. I had Matt @SpeedOneMotorsports do a virtual (Skype) inspection with the mechanic of the dealership I bought it from. I couldn't be more pleased.

Reactions: baege

·
Registered
69 Posts
Same. I rented one on Turo for a couple of days, but didn’t see the one I bought in person until it was delivered from across the country. I also used Matt at SpeedOne to help with the inspection process.

·
Registered
2010 White V8 Manual
73 Posts
I bought mine from a thousand miles away without driving it as well. I have to say that it was very difficult for me, just the thought of spending that kind of money without physically seeing the car made me a bit queasy, on some level it just felt wrong. I know lots of people have done it and its now quite common, but I never thought I would - but Covid is happening, what can you do? It was a great deal and exactly what I wanted so I had to pull the trigger. I had only driven a 2018 automatic, but I purchased a 2010 manual, so it was going to be a completely different experience. I had a PPI done, which wasn't great. They failed to note some little things, but it turned out okay. Waiting for it to be delivered was a bit nerve racking. But thankful it turned out to be as advertised and it is the love of my life ;) .
I really wouldn't want to do it that was again, but if the deal was right, I definitely would.

·
Registered
200 Posts
First time I ever drove an R8 was on the way to the bank with the seller. The car looked mint and everything checked out, so I was not worried about the car. From the research, I knew I would love the car and that the handling and power would be amazing. I would buy again without driving.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought and paid in full for my 2018 V10 Plus and have yet to see it in person or drive it haha. It's shipping from Texas and we all know how Texas is handling the storm right now lol

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
I purchased my R8 sight unseen across the country. Never had driven one prior to purchasing it. I felt comfortable with the seller, did PPI, and the car was under a nice, long extended warranty. I had purchased multiple other cars this way so I had some experience with it.

·
Registered
2007 V8 M/T Carbon Wingback
13 Posts
Same here. Bought at supercar ‘dealer’ without driving. I expected them to deliver a reasonable car for it’s age; if not, I would drive back for a good ‘discussion’.

If I would sell it, I would never allow anyone to test drive it either. You buy it, or not.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I bought mine without physically seeing it in person. It was traded in at a Mclaren dealership in Vancouver and I felt comfortable enough dealing with them as the owner of the dealership also has an Audi dealership in Toronto. I still had a PPI done at an Audi dealership in Vancouver and it all came back clean so it was a go. I had driven a R tronic and a S tronic version locally so I knew going in what it generally feels like. Car did not disappoint me at arrival.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Bought my 2011 V10 in NorCal from an Audi Dealer (consignment). I took a chance and trusted their R8 tech to do the PPI, which they found and repaired a few things, leaky oil pump seals. I felt pretty confident after they disclosed and agreed to fix before I purchased. I flew out there and drove it home 8 hours. Owned it 3 years now with little to no issues. If I were to ever sell the car, I wouldn't mind taking the prospective buyer on a test drive (me driving) provided they can show proof of funds.

·
Premium Member
2017 V10 Plus. Mythos Black Metallic>X-Pel Black Stealth full body PP+9H Ceramic
477 Posts
Same here. I bought my V10+ from my friend who runs the Audi dealer and didn’t drive it first. Then I drove it for 5 hours and dropped it off at my mod shop and didn’t drive it for a month until it was done.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I bought mine without seeing it, or driving it. It was a forum car here for a year plus before so I had plenty of previous posts and info on the car. I had a PPI done before and talked at length with the owner. Transaction was smooth. Loved every second of the last two years. My experience is most likely not the same with similar circumstance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i not only never drove mine before purchase but never even saw a picture of it. the dealer hadnt even taken and posted pics in the ad when i called and bought it. that's how desperate/aggressive the market was getting

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
these responses are not helping with the regret of letting that gated 2014 v10 plus slip away 😁

·
Registered
45 Posts
So my search continues for a gated v10 coupe and I am realizing more and more that this is getting ugly, i.e. very few cars available and high asking prices for those that are available.

This past spring and summer, I let 2 v10 coupes go at what were at the time great prices and now with the covid luxury tax on top, absolutely insanely good prices. In may of 2020 I was actually the first to inquire about a unicorn 2014 V10 PLUS gated coupe that was an amazing price. I could have put a deposit down subject to PPI and it would have been mine. I didn't, the dealer raised the price by $10000 the next day and it sold that day. This decision will likely be one I lament about in the years to come many a time.

Anyhow in both cases I hesitated because the cars were across the country and I wouldn't be able to drive them. I have only bought one used car previously without driving it. It was also across the country but it was still under warranty and I had BMW inspect the car. It also only had 20000km and only cost 35K so it was on a different scale.

That car (a 2007 bmw Z4 coupe) turned out amazing and is still one of my favourite cars to date. but it was only 2 years old and was under warranty and was 35k

in the R8 scenario, we are talking much olders cars, sometimes with higher mileage, and no warranty (most likely) in the six figure price range.

I have only driven 2 r8s one a 2012 and one a 2014 both with 30000 km, but they drove very differently. I really liked in the 2012 and had no interest in the 2014 .

Those test drives confirmed for me that used R8s can feel very different after 5-10 years and 20000-30000miles.

Which is ultimately why i passed on the 2 cars that came up this spring and summer. I didn't want to buy one, have it arrive and then not like the car.

But maybe I just have to bite the bullet and rely on a PPI given how tight the market is becoming...interested in hearing people's perspectives and experiences on this
I did. I also bought my 79 Porsche 930 on line.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I did. I also bought my 79 Porsche 930 on line.
The 930 was a dream care of mine for sooooooo long as a young man! I STILL love that car!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bought my 2011 v10 manual from CO and had it shipped to NJ after getting a ppi- there was no way with covid that I could get out there. Shocks were gone on the PPI so negotiated the price down and shipped it out. No other issues.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't understand why people don't go see the cars. I've been traveling about 200 days a year for work for the last 20 years, so hopping on a flight within the continental usa is like going to the grocery store. There is no way I would drop $100k on a car that I didn't drive prior to purchase. I also just love to travel......

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Went to local dealerships to test drive McLaren, Lamborghini, and the Audi R8. Surprisingly Audi was the most difficult I just about walked out. When I found the car I wanted I drove 4 hours down to Miami to trade in my Corvette. Took a quick test drive of it after I had them have the local Audi dealership do it's yearly service on it as it was due along with a PPI beforehand. Then I signed the paperwork and drove it the 4 hours back home. Car bought from exotic used car dealership.

Reactions: baege
1 - 20 of 54 Posts