Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
I bought my 2015 gated V8 without driving one before and she was 3000 miles away from me so I couldn't see, feel or drive her. I had sat in one a year prior and just sitting in it and looking around I knew the car would fit me like a glove.

The R8 I purchased was a one owner car and the car was in mint condition. It also still had the factory warranty for another 9 months so if the ac was shot or a shock was bad I knew I was covered. I also extended the warranty for another 7 years and a PPI was not needed as it was still under the factory warranty.

Did I take a big risk? Heck ya....but it paid off and the R8 is everything I imagined and more. Good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was looking nationwide and almost pulled the trigger on a couple I would have had shipped, but ultimately bought the one I could touch and feel and drive.

·
Registered
'18 Audi R8 Base Coupe
3 Posts
I bought my '18 R8 base online last month without driving it since the dealership was 1500 miles away. A week prior to that, I test drove a blue '17 Plus in my home state, fell in love with it and from that point on I "had" to get a blue one (before that, I was highly considering a white one), but couldn't come to terms with that dealer during the negotiation process. The base model had more than enough performance for what I needed, so even though the spoiler on the plus is nice, the '18 base was a better fit for me from a price standpoint. Since the one I ended up buying had 16 months of factory warranty left, I didn't get a PPI. I recently had an annual maintenance check up done at an indy shop and was told that all the mechanical items were pristine. Cosmetically, there were a few more imperfections (curb rashes on rims, large scruff at bottom corner of a bumper, a few rock chips) than what I expected and what I could see from the pics/walk around video, all of which I'm going to be addressing, but all in all I love the car and do not regret the purchase at all.

·
Registered
2010 V8 with 3 pedals
88 Posts
Yes. Bought mine no warranty, as is, no drive until I picked it up. It all depends on your expectations. Is it a new car? No so yes there’s might be a few flaws here and there. Is it perfect? No it’s a used car. I think just depends on where you are buying from. But most of the time, it’s our own expectations. We all want that diamond in the rough for pennies....it’s like calling the used car factory and placing your order.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought mine 6 hour drive away. Pics and PPI with service records was all I saw. Drove down to trade in my E63. 45 mins worth of paper work and drove right back. It was a long day but well worth the drive. Prior to the purchase never sat in or drove an R8 before LOL.

·
Registered
394 Posts
A very limited supply of cars here usually has me buying without driving. Closest I could get was in a 2011 V10 auto, which was good enough to convince me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don't understand why people don't go see the cars. I've been traveling about 200 days a year for work for the last 20 years, so hopping on a flight within the continental usa is like going to the grocery store. There is no way I would drop $100k on a car that I didn't drive prior to purchase. I also just love to travel......
I view it as do as much due diligence possible without losing the deal. A basic PPI is a must, but most dealer PPIs are useless for anything more than codes, brake, and tire life. You’d be lucky to get one that’s willing to put a paint meter on it or pull the under tray. I’ve only had success in getting the seller to paint meter the car IF they have one on hand. By the time you push further into more due diligence, such as an auto body shop to check for frame damage the owner can begin to lose their patience when there’s a line of interested parties at that price. I think there’s a balance to it, as even if there are issues they wouldn’t necessarily arise during a PPI such as o2 sensor or cat issues. If it’s a good enough deal or hard to find spec then the risk can be offset in the event something arises that needs addressing. It’s great you chose a desirable car that holds its value, but it’s a double edged sword where you can’t call the shots in a seller’s market. Good luck

·
Registered
140 Posts
Drove a couple at dealerships to make sure I wanted one, then bought privately - sight unseen. Had it shipped to Ricky a REP for a PPI first though and once he gave it the go ahead it was an easy decision.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I don't understand why people don't go see the cars. I've been traveling about 200 days a year for work for the last 20 years, so hopping on a flight within the continental usa is like going to the grocery store. There is no way I would drop $100k on a car that I didn't drive prior to purchase. I also just love to travel......
the problem is with deals like the one I am talking about the dealer is not going to wait around for you to fly down...

·
Registered
45 Posts
First time I drove my supercharged R8 6mt was when I was leaving the shop it was being stored at. I paid for it after a PPI and drove it from CA to FL with out any problems. Absolutely in love with the car and feel like it has been one of my best big purchases/decisions I've made. The picture is from somewhere in TX stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
2011 V10 Gated, APR Aero,Unitronic Stage 2,IPE Titanium Exhaust,Eurowise CAI, XPEL PPF
81 Posts
There is a few in Ontario and Quebec V10 manual for sale on Kijiji. I bought mine without driving it and it's been perfect.

Reactions: baege

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought mine without ever driving it. I’m in the northeast and the car was in Texas. I FaceTimed the seller for a virtual walk around and drive. I paid the seller to do a PPI and then negotiated based off the PPI. When the car arrived there were a few more paint chips than described by the seller but nothing mechanical that wasn’t noted in the PPI. I also recommend using a shop familiar with the car to do the PPI, the PPI Audi does is usually really basic, lacking a lot of detail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I saw mine on eBay and within 20 minutes I purchased it. V8 M/T with 72k miles. Stock with a clean car fax and good service history. $55k.

·
Registered
Still searching..
2 Posts
I feel you OP. Let one slip a few months ago. 15' V10 Spyder Manual from private seller (Kijiji) in another province. Was tempted to just figure out a way to finalize a offer/sale site unseen. Marinated a few days and eventually contacted him. Gone. Saw it pop up a few days later at a dealership in his same province for 8k higher. Few days later, gone again. Week later shows up, but this time in my province at a local dealer for 27K higher than what the initial private seller was asking :( Eventually sold after a few weeks. I see you're in Canada also so you prob know or saw that car too lol.

·
Registered
2010 V8 with 3 pedals
88 Posts
Yeah if you see something you like and it’s a fair price for you. Not what anyone else thinks. Or what someone else paid months ago etc...Then that’s a good deal. If your waiting for the “deal”...just remember there’s always someone else that’s willing to pay a bit more. Always. I see it everyday.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts