Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
The new Corvette looks nice but rivets and View attachment 245077 and glue? No thanks. I also like my 2017 RS7 Performance with factory Akropovic titanium exhaust. I went downsized to 20" BBS F1-R 9.5 wide wheels with Michelin 4S in 285/35/20, saving about 120 lbs of wheel weight. This is the first set of BBS F1-R wheels on a RS7 in the world. BBS custom made them for me. Best car I ever owned. I am now working on a CF air box. The car will out run a R8+ for the first 400 meters. Then the game is over once the R8 motor is spinning. I do not use launch control. Picture is of the RS7 before new wheels and blackout package. The R8+ Gen 2 was traded for a Ferrari 488 Spider in essentially the same color. I did not like the 3400 RPM at 80 MPH in the stupid + in gen 2. Ordered a gen 2 now without the plus but with ceramic brakes and bought a + rear spoiler. Will add titanium exhaust. RPM at 80 will now be 2400. The Ferrari is at 2800 RPM at 80 mph but weighs 400 lbs less and has 100 more HP.

Smrtdoc
Smrtdoc = Rudy?

The car collection and Sebring looks all too familiar. ;)

If it's you then you should know who I am. If not, someone has a very similar car collection who races at Sebring.

EDIT: I'm excited to see what Corvette can do. Here's black beast and blue beauty then (Corvette) and now (Audi).

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't see many R8 owners trading in their R8 for the new Corvette. That said, for the buyer out there with only a $70k budget, the new Corvette is a compelling choice as opposed to a 10 year old R8. I know that would be my thought process. Grant it, the Corvette will be more common and not as well built; but it will also have much newer technology and the styling looks great. It will also not have the potential to drain one's pocketbook for expensive repairs during the first few years of ownership. There are lots of buyers out there who just want a fun car to drive around town or on weekend jaunts and don't want to deal with the hassles of an older car. These are not auto enthusiasts that frequent forums such as this. For them, the new Corvette will have appeal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The zr1 will be ballistic. But guess what, the gen 2 R8 is already ballistic and i dont know if going mass produced turbocharged american super muscle car will cut it for me. In fact, i dont know where the hell im going from here, i might be ruined by this R8
I am in your court, I have had 3 Vipers 4 Corvettes and some fast Mustangs. Then one day about a week after purchasing my V10+, while racing a C7 Z06 I looked down to see that I was doing 170mph. That very moment was sublime. The car felt like it was doing 90 on a brand new road. The sound of the engine was flowing through me and My first thought was...OMG. When we both stopped I got out and looked at my buddy, he was dripping sweat and red as a tomato. I was like dam , is that what I used to look like when doing 150+ in my Corvette? About a week later I had to move my wifes C6 Z51 and It felt like junk. (it only has 12k mi.) Yes My R8 ruined me.

As far as the C8 goes, I want to see what they have available in a few years. If my wife wants one I will get one for her and sell the C6. But as far as my next car goes....well I'm sure it will be the Hybrid version of my V10+ if and when they produce one, I don't need a frunk anyway.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Well I have two R8s, a gen 1 GT and a gen 2 RWS. Neither leaving the house. However I need a daily. Just did the pre-order with a chevy dealer for a C8 with just the Z51 package so it will be 66K plus tax when it shows up I guess the middle of next year. Incredible price point so worth trying it to me. I have a 2011 S5 cabrio I bought in Jan for really cheap (20K) that I beat up now. That exact car in its current version is73K today at the Audi dealership so a mid engine sports car for less I will give it a try. First non German modern car I will have bought since college (would be all Audi but had a crappy X5 once. I do have a 60 vette so will be cool to have them 60 years apart. I would not however buy a ZR1 or Z06 version.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't think anyone will trade an exotic brand for C8. Most people will probably buy one as an extra toy. Chevy is going to produce **** loads of them so in a year or two you will see them everywhere.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I don't think anyone will trade an exotic brand for C8. Most people will probably buy one as an extra toy. Chevy is going to produce **** loads of them so in a year or two you will see them everywhere.
Not entirely true.

As a previous Corvette owner the Z06/ZR1 variants to come have me curious. My next car was going to be a McLaren 720S. If Chevy with some boost to the LS platform can keep up with the Mac and most importantly PUT THE POWER DOWN (big problem with Corvette is putting the power to the pavement) I'll consider one over the 720S. I'd be a lot more willing to push a 120k Z06/ZR1 on a track than a 250k+ McLaren I'll tell you that much. Plus Chevy cheaper to repair than an exotic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not entirely true.

As a previous Corvette owner the Z06/ZR1 variants to come have me curious. My next car was going to be a McLaren 720S. If Chevy with some boost to the LS platform can keep up with the Mac and most importantly PUT THE POWER DOWN (big problem with Corvette is putting the power to the pavement) I'll consider one over the 720S. I'd be a lot more willing to push a 120k Z06/ZR1 on a track than a 250k+ McLaren I'll tell you that much. Plus Chevy cheaper to repair than an exotic.
I own a 720s and a 650 before that. Makes a stock R8 and any stock corvette look like a prius from a roll. Liter bikes can't keep up from a roll. R8 look/sounds better and MUCH higher quality build.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I own a 720s and a 650 before that. Makes a stock R8 and any stock corvette look like a prius from a roll. Liter bikes can't keep up from a roll. R8 look/sounds better and MUCH higher quality build.
I've driven a 570S and 650S. I love the 650S and would have bought one over the R8 V10 Plus but reliability is very hit and miss. Some have been reliable but for every one that was there were plenty more horror stories. I daily my exotics. 720S seems to be much better in reliability hence considering it. I can tell you my previous Corvette was well into the 10s at over 135 MPH (12.5psi + methanol into an LS3 will do that) so it was right there with 650S in pulling power. However, that Corvette would spin it's tires at anything under 70 MPH on a street tire. 720S would have ripped it though regardless.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have seen, read, heard horrible real stories about shitty McLaren reliability, no thank you, won't put 300k plus USD for a McLaren until they fix their ****.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have seen, read, heard horrible real stories about shitty McLaren reliability, no thank you, won't put 300k plus USD for a McLaren until they fix their ****.
I’ve owned 2 and my brother has owned 4. They aren’t that bad. You’re paying 300k+ for hand built carbon fiber exotic that will outrun 1000cc motorcycles, plus everything else under $1MM. Toyota’s are reliable

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
You’re paying 300k+ for hand built carbon fiber exotic that will outrun 1000cc motorcycles, plus everything else under $1MM. Toyota’s are reliable
Like to see it do it in traffic! on a dragstrip isn't the real world. But a McLaren is a thing of beauty without a doubt.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I’ve owned 2 and my brother has owned 4. They aren’t that bad. You’re paying 300k+ for hand built carbon fiber exotic that will outrun 1000cc motorcycles, plus everything else under $1MM. Toyota’s are reliable
When you pay 300k and your car sits in the stealer for 2 months and they can't figure it out then come talk to me again.:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Like to see it do it in traffic! on a dragstrip isn't the real world. But a McLaren is a thing of beauty without a doubt.
Bad roads=no traction....better to have a 911tt (done that too). Rolling or good roads, nothing stock will hand with a 720s short of a hyabusa

21 - 34 of 34 Posts