Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange question I know! But does anybody have any opinions on how often as a minimum you should drive the thing to keep it in good order?

When not in use, It's in a garage, under a cover attached to a Ctek battery trickle, with quiet Relaxation music being played to it on loop.
But we are having a few weeks of constant rain here and then after that I'm away for a bit. I'm just wondering what people think about leaving the cars for longer periods, and doing this quite regularly, particularly over winter...

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,365 Posts
Some owners on the forum park theirs up all over the winter with just the CTEK connected and don't report any problems.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Most supercars are driven infrequently. I haven't heard of these cars suffering mechanical issues due to lack of use; and it certainly doesn't hurt their resale values. Personally I only drive my R8 every 1-2 weeks and have had no issues. That said, when I do drive it, its usually for at least 30 minutes and I take the car up to highway speeds.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I kind of figured they must be designed to be ok not to drive for a while. interesting to hear some people keep them in all winter. I have a BMW as the daily driver, it's got a few miles on now but still drives really well, however leave it for 3-4 weeks, like I did recently at the airport long stay and it doesn't run smoothly at all on start up. But drive it everyday and it's sweet as a nut.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you don't drive your car for more than a month at a time, I'd be concerned about the following:

1. Battery-keep on CTEK or equivalent
2. Tires-flat spot where the tires meet the ground
3. Rodents-which is why I don't use a car cover anymore as mice seem to like dark areas.
4. Condensation build up in gas tank-keep tank full
5. Proper lubrication upon startup-make sure you give the car sufficient time to warm up before driving.

I know people who just start their car once a week for 10 minutes and let it idle. I'm told the car needs to be driven to the point where all fluids get a chance to reach normal operating temperatures.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Other than not driving it when there's salt on the roads in the winter, I drive mine as often as I possibly can. It's very therapeutic.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Only “up to” highway speeds?
Most supercars are driven infrequently. I haven't heard of these cars suffering mechanical issues due to lack of use; and it certainly doesn't hurt their resale values. Personally I only drive my R8 every 1-2 weeks and have had no issues. That said, when I do drive it, its usually for at least 30 minutes and I take the car up to highway speeds.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Other than not driving it when there's salt on the roads in the winter, I drive mine as often as I possibly can. It's very therapeutic.
I take mine out at least every weekend, year-round, that it's not raining or below 50^F, and you're right. . .it's very therapeutic. If it's going to sit for more than three days, I connect the CTEK. #becausechangingthebatteryinthisthingsucks :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Starting a car up every now and then and letting it idle is worse than doing nothing. By far the greatest engine wear occurs when below normal operating temperature, so the aim is to get to that temp as fast as possible with straining the engine or other components. In addition, short periods idling rather than driving are bad for the exhaust due to the accumulation of moisture and heat.

This also relates to daily driving. It is bad practice to warm up a car, even before a drive, by idling.
I know people who just start their car once a week for 10 minutes and let it idle. I'm told the car needs to be driven to the point where all fluids get a chance to reach normal operating temperatures.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I get mine out most weekends, not good for maintaining the cars value at the point of resale, but I don’t value sale price, so much as the enjoyment of driving the car. If I valued minimising loss on sale, the best way to avoid that is to, well, not buy a car!

·
Registered
580 Posts
i think there's no concrete answer, all personal preference. Even if there are confirmed damages due to sitting too long, such as dried out seals/rubber, it cant be found until years later. I say drive it as much as you can, I try not to let each car sit more than 2-3 weeks, even if that means i need to do a short grocery or bank run, i would take the opportunity to swap them out from time to time to make sure they get equal love lol

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Well, I don't know if there's a perfect answer to this - perhaps an engineer could break it all down scientifically and tell you what happens to each components at what point of sitting, etc. But, in general, the advice I've always heard from any mechanic... "drive it."

I try to take it out at least once every 1 - 2 weeks. Sometimes I get really lucky and can take it out several days back to back, and then other times 3 weeks will go by due to a busy schedule, travel, etc. But between the months of April through November (or first snow - sometimes December), I take it out as much as reasonably possible. Over the past 5 years, I've now averaged around 3,600 miles per year. It stays hibernating, attached to a CTEK, for ~3 - 4 months each winter. While not ideal, it's certainly better for the car to sit than to be exposed to road salt.

I'd say try to get it out every few weeks minimum. I don't hook the car to the CTEK unless it's for the winter. Sitting for a few weeks between drives, on a healthy battery, should be a non-issue. When you do take it out, make it a good, healthy drive - not just 5 minutes. Let it warm up, and then really drive it. I make sure the car gets a combination of cruising and spirited driving typically on each run. I'll typically drive it 1 - 2 hours once out. Ideally, I'll also give it a good few runs to redline. For the last few miles I'll generally not push it TOO hard, focusing more on letting it get some good airflow to cool off. Once home, it typically goes straight into the garage, but I'll look to leave the garage open (if possible, depending on schedule) to let the hot air out - otherwise the garage turns into an oven and the car probably doesn't shed the heat as much as it should.

As for mileage, I'm not overly concerned. I bought the R8 to keep indefinitely, and I mentally wrote off the cost when I bought it. The money was spent. So, from day 1, the car was for enjoying... otherwise, I spent a lot of money for no good reason.

Get it out, drive it and enjoy it. It's good for you, and it's good for the car!

·
Registered
518 Posts
In Scott Ahlman's post I thought it was interesting where he wondered whether a lot of sitting around was a contributory factor in early magride failure... More reason to get in it and drive it regularly! :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great video - How the other half live eh!
Thanks for all the thoughts everybody - interesting!

And yeah - the story at the end, sent his replacement car down to France on a transporter by 9pm the same day!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts