Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was discussed awhile ago, but no answer. Since mine is presently having the software upgrade done, I looked with my R8 mechanic and discussed this. He clearly can do a rewire--but neither of us want to do that. He mentioned that he suspects it would be a simple software change--if he knew what it was--and could do that. I want to be able to turn on the leds around the engine compartment and have them remain on--until I turn them off, be it driving or stoped. I know they stay on for awhile now when starting/shuting off.

Does anyone have the information to do this? How to get it from Audi?
Thanks jet

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just so I'm sure, you want to control the LEDS in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
943 Posts
This was discussed awhile ago, but no answer. Since mine is presently having the software upgrade done, I looked with my R8 mechanic and discussed this. He clearly can do a rewire--but neither of us want to do that. He mentioned that he suspects it would be a simple software change--if he knew what it was--and could do that. I want to be able to turn on the leds around the engine compartment and have them remain on--until I turn them off, be it driving or stoped. I know they stay on for awhile now when starting/shuting off.

Does anyone have the information to do this? How to get it from Audi?
Thanks jet
I have two questions. Do you want them to come on when you turn the normal lights on at night, and go off when you turn the headlights off? Also, at what times specifically will you want them on?

Also, I'm not sure you want them on while driving at night, which is what I'm guessing, because of the light that will be shined on the read window. Glass is going to have reflection and refraction. It's also never going to be extremely clean. This will make it more difficult to see out the back.

It will be like looking out of a window from inside your house at night with the lights on. Very easy to see in, very difficult to see out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Easiest way to say this is that I want a way to be able to turn them (leds inside engine compartment) on and off at any time I want to--independent of the way the work now--coming on for a number of seconds when car is started or shut down. I realize there is a glare in back window when driving and would not normally want this--but I still would like it to be able to turn them on any time I want--including while driving --if I want (just like a dome light--I don't drive with it on very often, but their are times when I turn it on to quickly look at something.)

Anyway, I would like to be able to control them when I want. Their are certainly times when it would be nice to be able to have them on until I wanted to turn them out---nice evening, stoped, and e.g. people looking at the engine.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Easiest way to say this is that I want a way to be able to turn them (leds inside engine compartment) on and off at any time I want to--independent of the way the work now--coming on for a number of seconds when car is started or shut down. I realize there is a glare in back window when driving and would not normally want this--but I still would like it to be able to turn them on any time I want--including while driving --if I want (just like a dome light--I don't drive with it on very often, but their are times when I turn it on to quickly look at something.)

Anyway, I would like to be able to control them when I want. Their are certainly times when it would be nice to be able to have them on until I wanted to turn them out---nice evening, stoped, and e.g. people looking at the engine.
Well, you would need a separate switch in the car which would then require wiring, or you would need to have the lights be connected, in a software sense, to something which you can control, but won't mind having to use when controling the lights.

I can't think of anything like that off hand.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Strange, my car is equiupped with engine bay light but I have never seen them on.. even when I lock the car. Is there a function on MMI to put them on? Thanks.
There is a square button near the headlights. Press it. This makes the engine bay lights and headlights come on when you park the car in dark areas. It has to be dark, as the sensor controls it. They only stay on for a short while.

You can read about it in the manual. I think it called 'Coming Home Mode,' or something like that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is a square button near the headlights. Press it. This makes the engine bay lights and headlights come on when you park the car in dark areas. It has to be dark, as the sensor controls it. They only stay on for a short while.

You can read about it in the manual. I think it called 'Coming Home Mode,' or something like that.
You're a star. Many thanks!

·
Administrator
6,225 Posts
I read in my manual that you can adjust the time for how long lights stay on with the coming/leaving home feature. tells you go to the Menu display then Illumination>Exterior lights>coming home to adjust time. Spent a half an hour in my car trying to find that menu, Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
It's a setting on the Driver Information System (DIS), under 'Lights, Coming Home/Going Home' if I remember correctly

·
Administrator
6,225 Posts
It's a setting on the Driver Information System (DIS), under 'Lights, Coming Home/Going Home' if I remember correctly
Thanks, Just figured out what I was doing wrong. Did not see those choices, did not realize you click on the arrow to get more features:( **** I hate feeling stupid, But I am good at it :)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I will try the dome light trick .IF clicking the dome light on turns on the engine bay then I will tint one of the dome lights to give the cabin MOOD effect (subltle low light ) in cruising/carshow modes. Thanks for the heads up !! I have been thinking of doing this since day one !!:D:D:):)

·
Registered
83 Posts
It seems my LEDs in the engine bay no longer come on... Any ideas? I just checked all the settings..

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
MY R8s' bay lights do NOT come on when I turn on dome lites ,dammit!!! Back to the drawing board.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
It seems my LEDs in the engine bay no longer come on... Any ideas? I just checked all the settings..
Is the red LED light in the switch next to the Master Light Switch, is the going home/coming home lights set to on in the DIS?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
If the red dash LED is on then the bay lights should work.If you are testing in the daytime throw a towel over top of windshield to fool darkness sensor .

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes the coming home lights setting is on and set for like 30 seconds...

Is the red LED light in the switch next to the Master Light Switch, is the going home/coming home lights set to on in the DIS?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The leds should be fed by a 12 volt source. I won't be driving my LeMans Quattro with the engine bay illuminated by the stock LED's. There is too much glare off of everything. Maybe some stick on lights will work for me. Placed stratigiously. As long as there is no glare. MUST keeps eyes out for Johnny Law !!! Would'nt it be cool to see an R8 in the GUMBALL RALLY! I NEED SPONSERS!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts