Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

our beloved Gen1 R8 is a fat cow for a real sportscar, especially if you consider the lightweight aluminum frame...real 1620 till 1690 kg for a V8 coupe depending on your options.

one of the main reason the stock V8 is considered to be lame.
target of the thread is to collect info, tips, parts etc. how to make your R8 lighter, end target is not a completly striped race car...end target is an as light as possible street R8 with full interior....reference is Tom's R8 with 1310kg with full interior and B&O...-330kg:eek:

Lotus fonder Colin Champ said the key for every sportscar: HP makes you fast on the straight, less weight everywhere:D
This in numbers means every -30kg less equals to +10hp more.

So lets get started:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
replace the stock exhaust with a lightweight titan exhaust:
OEM is 30kg
in Europe where you need certification the lightest one with an EU certification is the MTM titanum exhaust (it fits all V8 and V10), the MTM is 11kg, so -19kg and approx +30hp but it costs 11000Euro...well I got a used one for 2000 :)
a good alternative is Capristo or Akrapovic

rest of world a straight out titan one will be less then 10kg...
you are welcome to post specific ones.

use the GT exhaust heat shield, saves another -2kg

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
use body and interior parts from the GT:

the weight for value ones are the following:
- delete the gearbox oil cooler, you need the gearbox oil shortcut pipe from the GT. dismantle the rest, in total approx -5kg for 170Euro
- GT floor carpet costs around 800Euro and -7kg saving
- GT engine lid with makrolon window: used ones are around 3000Euro and -14kg weight savings high up
- GT aluminum tunnel cover: -1kg for 80Euro

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Useful and interesting info Helldriver. I would guess that the bucket seats represent a big weight saving over the 'comfort' ones as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have not installed it yet, but bought few lithium lightweight batteries for my cars
- Antigravity AG-H7-40RS new model with token emergency start - 6.65kg (40 Ah Pb equivalent )
- Lite Blox LB28XX - 3.2 kg with mounting plate ( 54 Ah Pb equivalent )
Just for reference, the smallest equivalent lead battery I could find 56Ah - 13.8kg, and stock R8 should be around 20kg
Just for kicks I weighted Weathertec rubber floor mats - it is actually lighter than carpeted OEM, by 10 grams total (hello Tom..))
image.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I have not installed it yet, but bought few lithium lightweight batteries for my cars
- Antigravity AG-H7-40RS new model with token emergency start - 6.65kg (40 Ah Pb equivalent )
- Lite Blox LB28XX - 3.2 kg with mounting plate ( 54 Ah Pb equivalent )
Just for reference, the smallest equivalent lead battery I could find 56Ah - 13.8kg, and stock R8 should be around 20kg
Just for kicks I weighted Weathertec rubber floor mats - it is actually lighter than carpeted OEM, by 10 grams total (hello Tom..))
View attachment 233232
batteries, good weight saving topic :D

stock 110AH Varta is 30,6kg :eek:

lightest lead acid AGM battery for the V8 is Optima Yellow top yt 2.7S or R (mounted lying anyhow, so right or left plus pole doesn't matter) with 38AH/460CCA, 11,8kg for approx 140Euro;) and has also deep cycle capabilities means you can really squeeze the juice out of it. Expect a life of 3-4 years as it is under massive stress/cycling...
Euro pro kg saving champion so far:D

Antigraphity is a very good choice, for the V8 the RS30 should be enough. Problem in Europe the freight is +400Euro and then +20% or 8% tax as the battery is considered as dangerous good...no air freight possible, only UPS special delivery....
Liteblox by far to expensive for what they deliver...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Expensive items but lightweight wheels and CC brakes drop a lot of weight and unsprung weight too which is great for handling.
brakes: a good topic too.

Ceramic brakes: the brake calipers are 1 kg heavier then steal 8 pot ones, the saving comes only from the discs. use OEM ceramics, savings -16,5kg to OEM steal.
as mine is a daily and mountain pass hunter ceramics are a noGo. 2nd replacement is a fortune.

steal brakes: for the stealies there are some options avaliable too. key to save weight is to go with real 2 piece brake discs. 2nd adavantage for replacement you only need the brake rings which are cheap...
These 2piece discs have better heat capabilities so together with lightening your car you don't have to go bigger=more weight.

Front steal disc:
the lightest for the front is AP racing 362x32 drilled or j-hook slotted, they are 9.5kg which means -4kg lighter then stock. https://www.vagbremtechnic.com/front-2-piece-362x32mm-direct-replacement-discs-rda0004/
They fit with stock 8 Pot, the brake pistons and pads will compensate this 2mm less thickness.

alternative are giro disc, they also have an upgrade size 380mm but that is only needed for the "heavy" V10 spyders. https://www.girodisc.com/Rotors_c_939.html
A lightened V8 the stock size 365 is more then enough with the right brake pads.
other alternatives, please post if you know.

rear discs:
I only know the 2 piece girodiscs. -1kg lighter then OEM
https://www.girodisc.com/Rotors_c_939.html
Other alternatives, please post....

·
Registered
11 Posts
batteries, good weight saving topic :D

stock 110AH Varta is 30,6kg :eek:

lightest lead acid AGM battery for the V8 is Optima Yellow top yt 2.7S or R (mounted lying anyhow, so right or left plus pole doesn't matter) with 38AH/460CCA, 11,8kg for approx 140Euro;) and has also deep cycle capabilities means you can really squeeze the juice out of it. Expect a life of 3-4 years as it is under massive stress/cycling...
Euro pro kg saving champion so far:D

Antigraphity is a very good choice, for the V8 the RS30 should be enough. Problem in Europe the freight is +400Euro and then +20% or 8% tax as the battery is considered as dangerous good...no air freight possible, only UPS special delivery....
Liteblox by far to expensive for what they deliver...
I'm having some problems with Antigravity RS-30, it won't start my V10 properly. It has 4 leds that indicate if its charged or being charged. They are constantly at 2 bars, which mean that battery is charged and fine, but not charging. Even if the car is on.

Antigravity is looking into it, they said they have measured bad cranking power from current patch.

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts
I'm having some problems with Antigravity RS-30, it won't start my V10 properly. It has 4 leds that indicate if its charged or being charged. They are constantly at 2 bars, which mean that battery is charged and fine, but not charging. Even if the car is on.

Antigravity is looking into it, they said they have measured bad cranking power from current patch.
This isn't a good advert for their product, keep us informed on the solution to your problem please.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts