Registered
71 Posts
Hi

Look over here > https://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=108437&start=450

I'm a little crazy already.

Just ignore some answers from users. bam_bam

Tom
I read every post, all 31 pages.
I must say, you are doing great work when you take notes from every step and share the information. Some simple people don't understand that it's not bad for them if somebody like Tom does pioneer work with weight reduction and NA power on R8. Somebody said there that people will be rude in internet, but that's really pointless negativity. And they are picking on your not so good english, which is quite childish, because you are still trying!
I wouldn't do every step for my R8, but like I said it's great info and sure will use some tips from there.

Great knowledge, thank you Tom!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hello Tom, I hope you are now well.
I read your other forum thread with great interest, that's an incredible achievement (and level of commitment) to obtain -340kg's! Respect to you also for never responding to the detractors.
Have you driven a stock R8 (RWS) back to back with your own to determine just how much the handling has improved?
What are your latest performance stat's?

When you added the perforation to the rear wall cladding and storage shelf, did it allow more engine noise into the cabin?

Is it worthwhile lagging the air intake box and intake tube with gold foil to maintain temperature?

What about suspension and brakes, have you done anything with those components?

I would say first 100-120lbs is easy and within reach for most owners here, after - you start pushing it with extra effort and noticeable effect on appearance or loss of functionality
Appearance/loss of functionality - not the case at all Andy when you look at what Tom has actually done. In fact a lot of the appearance (weight) mod's look incredible. Cost/benefit, now that's another matter entirely and one for the individual to decide on for sure.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hello Tom, I hope you are now well.
I read your other forum thread with great interest, that's an incredible achievement (and level of commitment) to obtain -340kg's! Respect to you also for never responding to the detractors.
Have you driven a stock R8 (RWS) back to back with your own to determine just how much the handling has improved?
What are your latest performance stat's?

When you added the perforation to the rear wall cladding and storage shelf, did it allow more engine noise into the cabin?

Is it worthwhile lagging the air intake box and intake tube with gold foil to maintain temperature?

What about suspension and brakes, have you done anything with those components?

Appearance/loss of functionality - not the case at all Andy when you look at what Tom has actually done. In fact a lot of the appearance (weight) mod's look incredible. Cost/benefit, now that's another matter entirely and one for the individual to decide on for sure.
By appearance I mean that not all cars look good with carbon. My milk chocolate Spyder does not have any carbon panels and I can introduce it only in non visible areas.
By loss of functionality - perhaps you are not aware, but Toms car missing FWD
Just clarifying.
I admire his commitment and achievement nevertheless

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi

The damping in the interior and the insulation in the engine compartment is significantly lower in the GT than in the normal coupe. Also, the flooring of the GT is much lighter. To reduce weight and without disadvantages, the complete elimination of the interior damping is possible. The GT flooring offers -7 kg over the series. Altogether -20Kg ( 44 ibs ) are possible.

A change of damping in the engine room is too time-consuming because engine and tanks need to get out.

Tom

·
Registered
131 Posts
What about nr 14? Thats cushioning also? How can i see what art nr it is in list right side? I sont see the nr 10, 11, 12, 13,14 there

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi

The floor covering of the R8 GT is also much lighter than the series.
A change is relatively easy.
The unlocking tool for the gas pedal is required.
Advantage in weight -6 kg or -13 lbs

Tom

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi

And again parts for the lightness of the R8 with GT parts.
Here is the heat protection around the exhaust system.
All GT parts start with 42B in the part number!
In the picture the 13, 14, 15 right left and 26 right left.

Tom

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi

The engine compartment lid is another candidate that can save a lot of weight. Replacing the glass pane with plastic brings 50% savings. The inside and outside panels in full carbon replace saves more than 50% in weight. Total 6-7kg. ( 13-15 ibs )

positions 40, 41( left and right ), 44, 8

IMAG5076.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
That glass is hard to swap. Not seen anyone offering any plastic replacement. The LMS version would be a nice option. ??

101 - 120 of 154 Posts