Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Video Link: How We Bought The Cheapest R8 V10 In The Nation!

Hello all,

We recently took delivery of our R8 V10 and documented the process I took to get the best deal possible and hopefully break even or make a profit when I resell. If you have any tips that worked for you, please share in the comments below.

After weeks of researching the inventory of all the Audi R8 V10 models available, going back and forth with dealers, I believe we got our hands on and bought the cheapest 2011 AUDI R8 V10 IN THE NATION with 30k miles or less and NO accidents! Now in order to justify this, we need to compare apples to apples of all the other vehicles that were available during our process. We searched other v10 with under 40k mile with most in the 85k-89k price range. Most dealers wouldn't budge more than 2K from their list price and anything that was priced in the upper 70K price range either had a lot of miles or had accidents reported.

Right when we thought we found the perfect car for us and the opportunity to possible flip for a profit, I decided to pull out of the deal after finding issues with the car that was found after calling all the service centers in the carfax. One service center raised some red flags and with the issues I already knew the car had, it would of required a lot of funds to make repairs. After bringing up this issue with the dealer they started blowing me off and never confirmed they AC was working. Did they have something to hide? Luckily, I pulled out before wasting money on a PPI.

We then found this Silver 2011 V10 originally listed for 89k but never reached out to them since it was listed by a private owner and didn't think my lender would allow me to purchase from a private party. Seller then lowered the price a week after being listed to 83K. So, I call my bank to see if they would allow me to purchase from a private party in which they did! After some negotiation with the seller, we agreed on a price and sent to PPI. No major issues found but needed rear tires, pads on the front and an oil change. Seller agreed to lower the price another 1K to take care of this.
Final Price 77K!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
First of all, I didn't buy my R8 as an investment or in any way thinking I would buy the car to make a profit later on. I know everyone has their own prerogative for purchasing a particular car, so if buying it to flip it for a profit-- more power to you. I'm guessing you bought an R-tronic V10? Also, I don't think you ever mentioned what your timeline was from the start of your search to finally purchasing "the cheapest V10 in the nation" but I have been searching for a gated manual V10 for 2+ years and we know gated manuals command $10k+ over an R-tronic. So there were 2 instances where I could've bought a gated V10 on the cheap. One was in Illinois with 39k miles. Absolutely excellent condition 1 owner car with an aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket touchscreen head unit, full ceramic coating and the seller was willing to go down to $80k. Only reason I passed on it was it was black and that was 1 color I was trying to avoid. I know I couldve wrapped it but I kept tellng myself not to settle for anything less when purchasing my dream car. The other was a white gated V10 with 40k mi. Owner had it on bags but removed it before sale. Carbon blades, mirrors, full interior. The sticking point was he was leasing it from a dealer in California and the buyout process was such a hassle since he would have to buyout the lease then sell it to me. We had a deal down to $77k, but I ultimately pulled out of the deal because the time and hassle wasn't worth it to me. I ultimately paid more but found my absolute dream spec R8, so it all worked out.
Mind you, during the 2+ yrs I was searching, I found many V10 R-tronics with clean titles from dealers and private sellers for low-to-mid $70's, so $77k doesn't seem like the cheapest V10 in the nation. Congrats on the purchase though!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yea I agree doesn't really sound that great of a deal. I bought a 2011 V10 Gated with clean car fax and under 19k miles for 85k in August 2019, from someone on this forum. I was also tracking sales from 2018 up until I bought my car in 2019, there was at least 5 V10 gated cars selling for 79-85k that had under 30k mileage which was what I was looking for. There was a forest green, red, white and black one just in case you wanted to know.

I also remember talking to a guy who bought a black convertible v10 manual from an Audi dealership I believe in Arizona in 2019 that got his for like 76k. Mag shocks were blown tho.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of all, I didn't buy my R8 as an investment or in any way thinking I would buy the car to make a profit later on. I know everyone has their own prerogative for purchasing a particular car, so if buying it to flip it for a profit-- more power to you. I'm guessing you bought an R-tronic V10? Also, I don't think you ever mentioned what your timeline was from the start of your search to finally purchasing "the cheapest V10 in the nation" but I have been searching for a gated manual V10 for 2+ years and we know gated manuals command $10k+ over an R-tronic. So there were 2 instances where I could've bought a gated V10 on the cheap. One was in Illinois with 39k miles. Absolutely excellent condition 1 owner car with an aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket touchscreen head unit, full ceramic coating and the seller was willing to go down to $80k. Only reason I passed on it was it was black and that was 1 color I was trying to avoid. I know I couldve wrapped it but I kept tellng myself not to settle for anything less when purchasing my dream car. The other was a white gated V10 with 40k mi. Owner had it on bags but removed it before sale. Carbon blades, mirrors, full interior. The sticking point was he was leasing it from a dealer in California and the buyout process was such a hassle since he would have to buyout the lease then sell it to me. We had a deal down to $77k, but I ultimately pulled out of the deal because the time and hassle wasn't worth it to me. I ultimately paid more but found my absolute dream spec R8, so it all worked out.
Mind you, during the 2+ yrs I was searching, I found many V10 R-tronics with clean titles from dealers and private sellers for low-to-mid $70's, so $77k doesn't seem like the cheapest V10 in the nation. Congrats on the purchase though!
Yes depends on what your plans are of course. Not sure how long ago you were searching. I was looking at two gated V10's before I started looking at the automatic V10. One was local to us and had 51K miles on it, the owner wanted 90K for it. The other was in California and had 56K miles on it and the owner wanted 84K for it. He also stated he had 3 full price offers. Those were the only 2 gated v10 coupes available that I could find. For the miles, cf add ons and being a V10 Coupe, no accidents, not needing any major repairs/service and compared to others I found, we got a great deal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I agree doesn't really sound that great of a deal. I bought a 2011 V10 Gated with clean car fax and under 19k miles for 85k in August 2019, from someone on this forum. I was also tracking sales from 2018 up until I bought my car in 2019, there was at least 5 V10 gated cars selling for 79-85k that had under 30k mileage which was what I was looking for. There was a forest green, red, white and black one just in case you wanted to know.

I also remember talking to a guy who bought a black convertible v10 manual from an Audi dealership I believe in Arizona in 2019 that got his for like 76k. Mag shocks were blown tho.
Prices have gone up since 2019. For the miles, cf add ons and being a V10 Coupe, no accidents, not needing any major repairs/service and compared to others I found, we got a great deal. Comparable vehicles list prices were in the 85K-94K range.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed. My ‘12 V10 Gated was less than that...2 years ago.
Pricing have gone up on Gated V10 and Automatic V10's. Pricing on Spyders not so much since there are many out there available. Personally, many motor heads frown on the Spyders because you can't see the engine bay, its all hidden. For the miles, cf add ons and being a V10 Coupe, no accidents, not needing any major repairs/service and compared to others I found, we got a great deal. Comparable vehicles list prices were in the 85K-94K range. So you have a great investment sitting in your garage. The video we posted is based on current pricing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Pricing have gone up on Gated V10 and Automatic V10's. Pricing on Spyders not so much since there are many out there available. Personally, many motor heads frown on the Spyders because you can't see the engine bay, its all hidden. For the miles, cf add ons and being a V10 Coupe, no accidents, not needing any major repairs/service and compared to others I found, we got a great deal. Comparable vehicles list prices were in the 85K-94K range. So you have a great investment sitting in your garage. The video we posted is based on current pricing.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I don’t think you got a “deal”, but as long as you are happy with what you paid who cares? It’s not gated, no exotic color options, not a facelift......

Reactions: InfraredGradient

·
Administrator
6,199 Posts
Seems more like you just have that title as clickbait for your channel. Is a nice looking car, enjoy it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hold on. I just bought my 2012 r8 v10 from an Audi dealer in Ohio last month. The car had 23,400 miles on it. The previous owner performed all the service at the dealer. So I was able to get all the service records. The records show that the A/C compressor was replaced. It was a trade-in for an RS7. I paid 82,000. this included tax! My wife and I drove up to Ohio and trailered back to Georgia. 😃
Tire Wheel Automotive design Vehicle Event
Wheel Tire Automotive design Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive design Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hold on. I just bought my 2012 r8 v10 from an Audi dealer in Ohio last month. The car had 23,400 miles on it. The previous owner performed all the service at the dealer. So I was able to get all the service records. The records show that the A/C compressor was replaced. It was a trade-in for an RS7. I pad 82,000. this included tax! My wife and I drove up to Ohio and trailered back to Georgia. 😃
View attachment 258059 View attachment 258060 View attachment 258061 View attachment 258062
Did you get a PPI?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.