Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the USA at the moment for a conference and discovered a HUGE R8 problem... It really does make ANY other car feel like a P.O.S.

I sort of feel sorry for that guy whose first car is going to be the V10, the only way is down IMHO...

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Yep. It will be a sad day for that person.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Everyone!

I'm patiently waiting for the arrival of the V10. I'm going from a 3rd Gen. Viper to the

R8. As much as I like the R8 the V8 just does not have the oompf I've become used to.

Question, for whom it may apply... How has the transition been going from a car that

generates high amounts of horsepower & torque to a car that generates high H.P. but

lower torque? How does one go down after owning a V10... He's forced too.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Different kind of engine characters though aren't they - euro engines like to rev, US engines typically are bigger displacement and 'lazier' kind of power delivery. Personally, I prefer the pants-on-fire kind of power delivery of euro engines.

I think they are a dying breed though (both) we are being set up for small displacement forced induction to become the norm for sports cars, I believe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will not commit to the R8 V10 without driving one first... just have to find some dealer

who will let me. Who knows maybe I'll like a higher revving car. Maybe lazy isnt the

right term. brute force down low better describes it

80 mph = 1500 rpm in 6th gear for me... barely over idle.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
After an exhaust and intake kit and remapp ,the V10 should be the cats' meow. Would'nt have it any other way if I owned one. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have not been this excited about a car in a long time... I hope it goes as good as it looks on youtube.... and that sound... its a symphony

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After an exhaust and intake kit and remapp ,the V10 should be the cats' meow. Would'nt have it any other way if I owned one. :)
won't cure the weight though, although we are talking degrees of perfection I guess.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Here I am defending the V10. I am a converted Audi fan I guess. Changing the Exhaust alone saves some considerable weight. Then some lightweight seats, and we're getting closer to the stock R8 V 8 weight. How much weight is Bodhii adding with the S.C. system?? Best of luck Bodhii !! When will we be getting some feedback on Bodhiis' bold , new, system?? :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The V10 is the dumbest thing Audi could have done. No Le Mans heritage, just a powerful engine strong armed from Lamborghini so an R8 can steal sales away from Porsche (who owns Audi) and Lamborghini (who Audi owns).

Audi should have continued to celebrate it's Le Mans heritage while using the R8 to provide a showcase and brand marquis for their cutting edge diesel technologies. What a huge lost opportunity. The V10 is just going to pressure Porsche to kill the R8 project. What were the Audi execs smoking?

The R8 is a very easy car to drive fast on track. For us mere mortals, we can feel confident without throttle oversteering every turn. But if you really get tired of having "only" around 300 lb/ft of torque, consider the supercharger from MTM. Or buy a Gallardo.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Porsche ain't going to being putting pressure on Audi anytime soon as they lost the proxy battle, hence to R2 and Porsche Spyder announcements.

Apart from the financial 'reset' that probably killed it anyway, the big diesel would have skewed the weight distribution even move than the V10 petrol. The torque would have been fun though...

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
:D Is Audi on crack? :eek: If Porsche kills the R8 project ,that would be good for us,maybe?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys, Porsche ain't got no say, they lost - they are back as junior partner!!!

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
What's really going on is a family feud. Ferdinand Piech is a brilliant and creative engineer and manager, cast in the mold of his famous grandfather and namesake, Ferdinand Porsche, founder of both companies. Piech was a rising star at Porsche and behind the 906 and 917, but in 1972 his "family" who owned the company with him (Wikipedia says he owns 13% of Porsche) passed a rule that family members could not be involved in active management of the company (only on the board)!

So he left and went to Audi and then VW, where as CEO and then Chairman he has been behind everything good that VAG has done since, and is now retired from Chm. of the Board but still an advisor. Rumor has is that Piech would LOVE to humble Porsche with the sportscars of Audi.

And don't hold your breath until Porsche "takes over" VW, because they're so seriously under water with debt from the purchase, and with sales down big time (while VAG stays fat on China sales) that in the end VAG may end up absorbing Porsche!!! Ferdinand Piech is the true heir of old man Porsche in more ways than one and by talent and achievements probably deserves to be sitting at the top of the heap when all the original Porsche "children" are re-united in one company.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Just collected V10 from my dealer, looks cool, Ibis/carbon blades, wheels look great but look kerb hungry! They will cost to get refurbed, I'll have to keep the wife away I'm thinking:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts