Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw an older thread on this topic but with the market today, wanted to get your guys' opinions.

The price difference for a clean second gen R8 and a 2015/2016 580 RWD Huracan is about $80-90k here in Canada

For those that have owned both, do you guys think the extra money is worth it?

I've driven an R8 but only sat in a Huracan. My initial impression is that the Huracan's seating position is much more aggressive and is much more comfier for me (im about 6'1). I had to keep the seat very upright in the R8 Convertible I drove and my left leg was a bit cramped. In the Huracan, I can extend my leg all the way.

If you could go back, would you keep saving a bit more / pay more every month if you finance a Huracan or would you still go for the R8 and save that money? Maintenace wise they seem pretty similar due the similar engines etc.

·
Registered
Brilliant Red V10 Manual
218 Posts
Saw an older thread on this topic but with the market today, wanted to get your guys' opinions.

The price difference for a clean second gen R8 and a 2015/2016 580 RWD Huracan is about $80-90k here in Canada

For those that have owned both, do you guys think the extra money is worth it?

I've driven an R8 but only sat in a Huracan. My initial impression is that the Huracan's seating position is much more aggressive and is much more comfier for me (im about 6'1). I had to keep the seat very upright in the R8 Convertible I drove and my left leg was a bit cramped. In the Huracan, I can extend my leg all the way.

If you could go back, would you keep saving a bit more / pay more every month if you finance a Huracan or would you still go for the R8 and save that money? Maintenace wise they seem pretty similar due the similar engines etc.
Chris Harris said he prefers the R8 Gen 2 over the Huracan and I'm sure @Ricky.REP has also said the same that it is a better car. I'm sure he can add to why or why not If i'm mistaken that he said that in a video.

Reactions: Trev450

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Chris Harris said he prefers the R8 Gen 2 over the Huracan and I'm sure @Ricky.REP has also said the same that it is a better car. I'm sure he can add to why or why not If i'm mistaken that he said that in a video.
I think Ricky's comments were along the lines of the R8 having much better visibility, the seats being much more comfortable and the build quality being better overall.

Reactions: V10MANUAL

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
just looking at a huracan parked is an experience. everything about that car is just MORE compared to an r8. if you want more attention, more drama, more noise, more uncomfortable, more exotic looks get the huracan. if i was in the market for a gen 2 and could swing it i would definetly go the lambo route

·
Registered
Brilliant Red V10 Manual
218 Posts
just looking at a huracan parked is an experience. everything about that car is just MORE compared to an r8. if you want more attention, more drama, more noise, more uncomfortable, more exotic looks get the huracan. if i was in the market for a gen 2 and could swing it i would definetly go the lambo route
Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Sky

• Love
Reactions: dinkman

·
Registered
Brilliant Red V10 Manual
218 Posts
That Huracan is wearing Gucci and my R8 is wearing a GAP hoodie lool.

·
Registered
2022 Audi R8
37 Posts
Sounds like you drove a R8 Spyder and sat in a Huracan Coupe. The size difference is coupe vs spyder not Huracan vs R8. I find the Huracan vert to be much to small for me and the R8 Spyder to be just barely big enough, I'm 6' 205.

I considered swapping my R8 to a Huracan a few times but the Lambo interior is such squeaky plastic I just can't do it even though the exterior looks sick and the exhaust sounds rad. The R8 seems much better quality inside and sounds pretty darn good itself.

gonna actively stick to the R8 in this case. That will also make it more justifiable to add an Aventador in a few more dreams.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I think you need to sit in/drive an R8 coupe. Everything I hear on the spyder is less leg room (haven't sat in one personally). I'm sure the Huracan gets a ton of attention, but I'm certainly not lacking on positive feedback from others when driving the R8. It's a really sweet blend of exotic and elegance without being over the top. Pretty timeless.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Huracan spyder legroom is very compromised, I am 5ft 10 and it’s about at the limit, any taller and you will be looking over the raked back windscreen. In terms of attention the r8 does not get close, lambo is literally x 10

·
Registered
712 Posts
I recently had a chance to think about this..my ownership of the r8 is past 7 years and have a huracan performante for about 18 months. To me they feel so different yet are so similar, especially after you went under the car and do some of the simple services yourself on both and seeing everything in detail. Yet somehow it always bothers me that i have two mechanically similar cars with such a big price delta(in my case over 300%). Yes I am sure you can argue that mechanically the huracan is edgier, more precise steering, louder, lighter, faster shifting (vs my gen1), worse visibility, less comfortable etc.but IMO they are still too close (unless you are a 6mt guy then yes that's worth keeping both, but i am not). And after seeing how expensive it gets to repair an r8 without warranty, I know eventually the same repairs will apply to the huracan as age and miles pile on. So why would anyone want a huracan that cost 3x more, equally pricey to upkeep long term, mechanically similar (or able to get close enough with some modifications) and has no cheap warranty options? At least for me it distills down to whether the lambo wedge design hits you: It's in your face (esp in bright color) and the interior is childish and fun, with fighter jet buttons made of sea of plastics. The gauges look videogamey it's hilarious. It screams young money lol. It's like audi opened another youth department and went crazy (like scion off the toyota) and there's very little that resembles the old original italian stuff (yes they try hard to mimic the rear miura vents, the un-circular wheel wells, the wedge language...). The design is definitely a big part of the experience. And yes the lambo design hits me personally (i didnt expect it to), and so i've decided to get a diff lambo and let the huracan go. The r8 is a sweet keeper with the v10 and i will continue to enjoy her and re-evaluate in 2027 when the warranty expires, lol

Reactions: ExpertRanch

·
Registered
937 Posts
I recently had a chance to think about this..my ownership of the r8 is past 7 years and have a huracan performante for about 18 months. To me they feel so different yet are so similar, especially after you went under the car and do some of the simple services yourself on both and seeing everything in detail. Yet somehow it always bothers me that i have two mechanically similar cars with such a big price delta(in my case over 300%). Yes I am sure you can argue that mechanically the huracan is edgier, more precise steering, louder, lighter, faster shifting (vs my gen1), worse visibility, less comfortable etc.but IMO they are still too close (unless you are a 6mt guy then yes that's worth keeping both, but i am not). And after seeing how expensive it gets to repair an r8 without warranty, I know eventually the same repairs will apply to the huracan as age and miles pile on. So why would anyone want a huracan that cost 3x more, equally pricey to upkeep long term, mechanically similar (or able to get close enough with some modifications) and has no cheap warranty options? At least for me it distills down to whether the lambo wedge design hits you: It's in your face (esp in bright color) and the interior is childish and fun, with fighter jet buttons made of sea of plastics. The gauges look videogamey it's hilarious. It screams young money lol. It's like audi opened another youth department and went crazy (like scion off the toyota) and there's very little that resembles the old original italian stuff (yes they try hard to mimic the rear miura vents, the un-circular wheel wells, the wedge language...). The design is definitely a big part of the experience. And yes the lambo design hits me personally (i didnt expect it to), and so i've decided to get a diff lambo and let the huracan go. The r8 is a sweet keeper with the v10 and i will continue to enjoy her and re-evaluate in 2027 when the warranty expires, lol
What lambo are you thinking of ?

·
Registered
'20 Kemora Gray R8 Performance
227 Posts
That Huracan is wearing Gucci and my R8 is wearing a GAP hoodie lool.
Suits me perfectly! I wear a T-shirt, shorts, and sandals 99% of the time when I’m home or driving around. On rare occasions that I stop off to get coffee/food on my drives, people probably think that I’m a homeless dude. Give me a GAP hoodie anyday over an Armani suit!😁

·
Registered
937 Posts
Suits me perfectly! I wear a T-shirt, shorts, and sandals 99% of the time when I’m home or driving around. On rare occasions that I stop off to get coffee/food on my drives, people probably think that I’m a homeless dude. Give me a GAP hoodie anyday over an Armani suit!😁
That's me too!

Reactions: V10MANUAL

·
Registered
Brilliant Red V10 Manual
218 Posts
I literally always drive mine in joggers and a hoodie. A good salesman friend of mine said its always the people who dress down who have money, nobody wants to wear a suit on their day off!

·
Premium Member
3,692 Posts
I literally always drive mine in joggers and a hoodie. A good salesman friend of mine said its always the people who dress down who have money, nobody wants to wear a suit on their day off!
Bermudas, flip flops and an old tee shirt for me.

Reactions: 4Tires_R8

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Scruffy gear for me too. Usually what I've thrown on to do some DIY or gardening.

·
Registered
937 Posts
h ahh ahha, I love that so many of us are not posers. Nothing wrong with a suit, wore them many years for work, when I was younger and worked for others. I've worked for myself since 2000 and never looked back. Once you work for yourself, it is almost impossible to work for someone else, unless you are of one mind. There are a few people I know I would work for or with, but it's not many.

I tell my 17 yr old this all the time. I always tell him, "I'd worry more about your character than your suit or clothing" as he is always wanting to "look" successful. Which is ok, but I've just seen too many posers in my time. We just bought him his first real suit... he looks fantastic, but it's all fluff. Character is detected as soon as you open your mouth and speak (or if often enough, when you write - writing takes longer because it's missing the other 90% of non-verbal communication).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts