Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
please read the following is important.

don't use any flameable cleaning to clean you engine covers or fill up the gas and insert the filling gun ( sorry don't know the english word ) correctly.
As well when you open the fuel cap let the gas vapours first get out for a few seconds otherwise the vapours will block the refueling and you'll have gas on your feet and sideblade as well in the drain and this is no fun.
If the happens rince with water so no more gas can drip on you exhaust during you drive.

otherwise check the pictures.

I don't what to make any panic , just follow the procedure and that's it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no mine is green ,
it is a test vehicle of the Audi boys.
Someone took the car for a test ride and the car caught fire.

The only explainations is that the guys who took the car for a test ride spill some fuel.
This fuel went down the downpipe and spill over the hot excaust when they started their test drive.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Its very unlikely that fuelspilling is the problem here. Fuel vaporizes too quik to be harmful, you will have to spill a lot before its getting dangerous. The same for gasses.

There must be something else wrong.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we will surely know when we will receive letters from Audi to bring in the Car for a little check. :) :) or when we see the next pictures like this.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Where did you get the details about the fuel? it seems quite far-fetched? do you have details you can email to me?

·
Registered
564 Posts
when was the pic taken.. as we already know lots of R8s burned out during test phase... even when i was on the nurburg test day.. i talked to one of the audi heads, and he told me that the prob was with oil or gas in engine bay.. cause through leaks etc... but they dealt with it..

BUT thanks Mike, its anyway a good point to be careful with this car..
Its always extremely hot in the back part... (it the first time the put the engine there.. ) so we dont have to push our luck

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The picture are new, like 2 or 3 days a go.
The Nordschleife burned R8 has been the V10 , that's ok with me , test phase, things like this can happen.
But here, well no idea.
I have send a mail to a friend of mine to get a report.

·
Registered
564 Posts
ok cool.. pls keep us posted..

hm, allthough its an Audi.. its still a supercar or whatever you want to call it.. placing the enging in the back causes lots of troubles for cooling it as it supposed to be... we just have to be careful, dont we?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Seriously scary chaps! A plumbed in fire system a la motorport requirements might be a sound investment. Not too expensive in the grand scheme of things!!:eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
The service guys at my dealership got to run an R8 hard on the track. They told me they found a flaw that almost caused a fire. Something about an oil line under the sideblades that could come loose under turning stress. Audi is upgrading the lines to better material and connections. I wonder if this is the cause especially if this was an older test car.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you check my video, you see that the car has been on the track as well at 32° Cel. no problems at all.

The car burned has been a test car, serial no. below 1610.
All cars below this no had problems with the R-Tronic and the fire was caused by a hydraulic failure.

Most of the cars with a serial no below 1610 have been test cars. It has been a simple software update for the gear box hydraulic system to eliminate the problem.

So don't worry guys it's been solved.

My car has been delivered know one month a go an the serial no is above 1700.

All the other owners have received a software update.

The car of the Audi deal which burned just hasn't being updated.

Well guess it would have been easier if they would have done it.

Anyway , car is safe ......................:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
617 Posts
If you check my video, you see that the car has been on the track as well at 32° Cel. no problems at all.

The car burned has been a test car, serial no. below 1610.
All cars below this no had problems with the R-Tronic and the fire was caused by a hydraulic failure.

Most of the cars with a serial no below 1610 have been test cars. It has been a simple software update for the gear box hydraulic system to eliminate the problem.

So don't worry guys it's been solved.

My car has been delivered know one month a go an the serial no is above 1700.

All the other owners have received a software update.

The car of the Audi deal which burned just hasn't being updated.

Well guess it would have been easier if they would have done it.

Anyway , car is safe ......................:D :D :D :D :D
Hi Mike,

I have had my car for just over one month and I have checked my serial no as follows WUAZZZ4208N001289

Does this mean that mine is 1289 !!!!!!!! A bit worrying then. Perhaps Rob @ audi-r8help.com can confirm that the serial no is the last part of the VIN/Chassis/Frame No ?

·
Registered
718 Posts
L3, you've had yours 6 weeks ?

My chassis number is just over 1900.

Allowing a 5 day week, this is nearly spot-on production at the official rate of 22 a day.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Mike,

I have had my car for just over one month and I have checked my serial no as follows WUAZZZ4208N001289

Does this mean that mine is 1289 !!!!!!!! A bit worrying then. Perhaps Rob @ audi-r8help.com can confirm that the serial no is the last part of the VIN/Chassis/Frame No ?
yes this is correct, your chassis/vin number dictates like this

WUA= place of build
ZZZ= irelevant
42 = model R8
0 = random number
8 = model year
N001289 = Is build number.

I would not worry about this, as i do not believe that Audi built 1610 test cars?? each vehicle goes through tough quality control before leaving factory and something like that would not slip. Im interested in where TI-MIKE is getting this info? is it a reliable source because i think your scaring a few people?

·
Registered
617 Posts
yes this is correct, your chassis/vin number dictates like this

WUA= place of build
ZZZ= irelevant
42 = model R8
0 = random number
8 = model year
N001289 = Is build number.

I would not worry about this, as i do not believe that Audi built 1610 test cars?? each vehicle goes through tough quality control before leaving factory and something like that would not slip. Im interested in where TI-MIKE is getting this info? is it a reliable source because i think your scaring a few people?
Thanks Rob for clarifying, I did not think for one minute that their were over 1600 test cars. But I am naturally concerned if their is a safety issue particularly when fuel and hot engines are concerned.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Funny, didn't realize it that the last figures are the build number. I have 1675!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your info on re-fuelling.

Just picked my car up and the dealer kindly obliged and filled up the car.

Within a few seconds, petrol was spraying onto the sideblade !!

You are absolutely right. CARE is needed when filling up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks Rob for clarifying, I did not think for one minute that their were over 1600 test cars. But I am naturally concerned if their is a safety issue particularly when fuel and hot engines are concerned.
IMHO showing pictures like this and saying there was a problem with fueling on a forum is slightly wreckless when information is not totally known.

Naturally everyone is prob now worried about filling their cars and catching fire. I personally have filled up 5 R8's and have not witnessed this spillage. BUT if a spillage does occour then still do not worry, the exhaust is so far away from the filler neck/sideblade and infact anything hot enough to ignite fuel, that it would be imposable for fuel to meet and catch fire. So for all that are worried please do not worry.....

I also do not know the facts from TI-MIKE but have never heard of such a problem. a vehicle catching fire because of a "hydraulic failure" in the gearbox? were talking high pressurised hydraulic oil, allowing a robotised fast gear change. what exactly caught fire? and also I have seen and R-tronic with number below 1400...

Im not trying o say your wrong TI-MIKE im just saying i think you need more info to back up what your saying as you have prob got a few people worried about absoloutly nothing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts