Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To try and keep this as short as possible, i'm looking for advice on which car would be the best fit for me. At the moment, I am deciding between the Aston Martin DB9, Maserati GranTurismo, or of course, the Audi R8. My criteria are pretty simple...the car has to be an "experience" to drive, and be relatively refined (i'll pass on anything like the Saleen S7).

How flashy/showy the car isn't really a factor since it wont be a car that I plan on driving daily--and I wouldn't really mind turning a few heads every now and then when I decide to bring it out.:)

As for budget, my cap is at $200,000. Basically the most important things are the driving experience, build quality of the car, and of course availability.

My hope is to make the purchase sometime over the summer, but realistically speaking I would be willing to wait 6 months to a year if necessary depending upon availability. As for "premiums" to reduce wait time...I don't mind paying above MSRP so long as I don't exceed my allocated budget.

So: what do you all recommend?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Recently I drove 100 km or so between Brussels and Luxembourg followed by a DBS. At legal speeds, should you be wondering... :)

The DB9/DBS is an absolutely stunning car. It's extremely elegant and refined in a powerful way. It also sounds great. The bottom line is that its owner and I were truly admiring each other's cars which feel like they are in the same class, even though a DBS lists at something close to double the price of an R8.

My car is my daily driver and is used all year, so AWD was an important part of my decision, as is actual usability.

In terms of pure performance the R8 will beat a DB9 any day, and it is rock solid on the road at German autobahn speeds. It is wonderful to drive, quite nimble and feels a little like a motorbike above 3,500-4,000 rpm. The build quality is superb. A client recently described it as looking "like it has been built in 2020."

I did not drive a DB9 but my educated guess is that it has much more low-end power than the R8.

Either car will turn heads. I've taken the car all over (I even had to drive through a pretty rough part of Brussels on Sunday) and have not had a single negative reaction. Lots of thumbs up including from people you would never expect it from, people coming to chat and what not. I'm a very private guy and actually put quite a lot of effort in a previous career not to become a (minor) celebrity, but I must confess that I am kind of amused now being the center of attention wherever I go.

I'm happy with my choice and wouldn't change my R8 for an Aston Martin, but I think that the only way you will get an answer to your question is drive them both and see what they do for you.

I cannot comment on the Maserati. I haven't driven one and frankly modern Maseratis just don't excite me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and the insight into the DB9. I think at this point I will be sticking with the R8, also because it seems to be a better fit for my age than a car often driven by those in their 50s. Now the problem is waiting 6-12 months on the waiting list:mad:

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'd definitely get the R8 instead of the DB9. Don't get me wrong, the DB9 is one of the most beautiful cars out there and I would certainly like to have one in my garage, but I think the R8 trumps it in most respects.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My opinion is to take the Gran Tourismo off the list. I drove one the other day and it feels like it is just an upgrade of the coupe that they made a few years back, which I personally think is a crap car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well now that i've decided on the R8 and officially added my name to the list...is there any way to get one any faster without paying an insane amount over MSRP?:confused:

·
Registered
155 Posts
The GranTurismo is a Quattroporte in drag, not a real sports car. DB9 looks stunning but its not reliable at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow thanks for the link! Surprisingly I found one that only has 70 miles on it, is the exact color combo I want, has all the add-ons I want, AND is in my home state! Contacted the dealer...now waiting to hear back with a quote. Man i'll drive down there the first day of summer break to pick it up if this all works out:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts